Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

still searching for a school in boston, have you guys ever heard of Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming? seems like his credentials are all in order. he offers tai chi, shaolin longfist and white crane. the website is:

http://www.ymaa.com/

what do you guys think?

Re: Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming?

Originally posted by NatGun
    still searching for a school in boston, have you guys ever heard of Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming? seems like his credentials are all in order. he offers tai chi, shaolin longfist and white crane. the website is:

http://www.ymaa.com/

what do you guys think?
    Dr. yang is excellent.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Natgun,

I've taken quite a bit of stuff from Dr. Yang over the last few years---IMO he's a very impressive individual on a number of different levels.

His chin-na ability is really amazing, and I doubt you'll find too many people with first-hand experience that will disagree with that. I've also found him to be very good at explaining CMA theory in great depth, and giving very clear, real-world examples of what he's talking about. He's also a very nice, humble,funny guy.

I don't know where you are in Mass, but he also teaches once a week in North Andover, which is where I've taken a number of his classes. In fact, I just got a flyer today that he's offering a series of small workshops there every Tuesday night in September (starting the 10th), on basic qigong, White Crane kf, and chin-na. These might give you an idea to see if he's teaching what you're looking for.

You can probably get more info at:

www.yangsandover.com

would you reccomend his tai chi program? im trying to decide. his school teaches 3 styles, shaolin longfist, white crane, and tai chi. i am interested in tai chi, but i also want to learn practical self-defence. is white crane a better choice?

i am interested in tai chi, but i also want to learn practical self-defence. is white crane a better choice?
    Well, it depends on whom you ask. I am a Long Fist instructor and will tell you that Long Fist is your best bet out of those choices. Ask Gazza99, and he might tell you Taijiquan. White Crane people?

I don't have any experience directly with Dr. Yang, but endorse his books.

Best regards,

-Brent Carey

I've never met Yang Jwing Ming but hear his White crane is the best out of his three styles. BTW check out the local bookstore and you can probally find books written by him or check out www.bn.com and do a search on him.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

i dont know much about shaolin longfist or white crane, can you guys give me an idea of what the strengths of each style are? what the philosophies of each are? i always have been interested in wing chun because of its handwork and emphasis on close-quarters battle. ive also heard that longfist styles are more acrobatic and designed for medium to long-range combat. i am a pretty big guy, 6'2" 240, would longfist be a poor choice for me? thanks for the help guys.

i dont know much about shaolin longfist or white crane, can you guys give me an idea of what the strengths of each style are? ive also heard that longfist styles are more acrobatic and designed for medium to long-range combat. i am a pretty big guy, 6'2" 240, would longfist be a poor choice for me?
    I like to call Long Fist "generic" kung fu. It is a good style to learn before deciding what (if any) more specific style you want to go on to. It is really pretty broad and loosely defined.

Bear in mind, I say this because I have somewhat of an eclectic background, having studied with experts from various styles. So it is easy for me to say this because I don't really practice "pure" Long Fist, but then neither does anyone really. Remember that people can't even really agree completely on what "Long Fist" is.

You are right that it tends to be mid to long-range, but not exclusively. There are short and mid-range techniques as well, but not many. At 6'2", you should take advantage of that height. You are never going to get very low very quickly or have good short-range mobility with your relatively long limbs. However, no one should be able to get near you if you can develop your speed and reflexes.

One of the most punishing experiences I have had while training was sparring with a fast Long Fist student that was several years my junior. His arms were about 10 feet long, and I just couldn't get in close enough to counter - not fast enough.

Your enemy is going to be the weight. It will slow you down whether it is muscle, fat, or both. Also, consider studying plenty of Chin-Na techniques. These will be useful to you, especially while you are developing your speed. Dr. Yang knows his Chin-Na.

Best regards,

-Brent Carey

Just go and try a few classes with Dr. Yang, NatGun.

The rest of your questions will answer themselves in the course of your training.

I think Dr. Yangs Shaolin Longfist is a specific style created in the 1920's also called Northern Shaolin. Longfist styles are generally able to compliment any other style well, and provide a good base if you ever decide to move on to something else. You don't really specialize in any one range or way of fighting; it's well rounded. There was a good article about longfist that was posted on Royal Dragon's forum, but I can't get there from this computer.

My taichi teacher trained under him a few times and wholeheartedly recommended him. I don't know personally, but his books seem very well-researched.

As Huang said; try it!

"would you reccomend his tai chi program? im trying to decide. his school teaches 3 styles, shaolin longfist, white crane, and tai chi. i am interested in tai chi, but i also want to learn practical self-defence. is white crane a better choice?"

Well, I have heard Dr. Yang say "If you want to learn to fight quickly, study kickboxing". His method is to teach the complete art systematically. Free sparring is part of the training for Taiji, White Crane and Northern Shaolin, and it's considered crucial to actually learning to use the art, but it's not emphasized early on. You can check out the "training manual" on the main YMAA website to give you more specifics.

As far as which art does Dr. Yang know best--I'm not sure. I know he's done all three of those styles since he was a teenager. I have heard him say that while he still teaches Northern Shaolin, he can't perform it as well as he did in his youth. This was in the context of him urging the Shaolin people in their 20's and 30's to really push themselves, because they wouldn't be able to reach the same heights as they got older. I have NOT heard him make similar comments about his White Crane or Taiji.

But, a lot of the students there study more than one style, and Dr. Yang will sometimes mix elements of the different arts if the underlying theories are compatible, so you wouldn't necessarily be getting locked in to one art, anyway.

check him out - you won't be disappointed
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'm a wing chun man through and through, but if I had the opportunity to study under Dr. Yang, I would take it. White crane, baby. It's the hardest to come by among the styles he teaches.

does white crane have powerfull hand movements like wing chun?