Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

Well, I don't know too much about White Crane, actually it's a long-range style that focuses on inflicting pain and focuses on evasion, not mixing it up with the opponent. But then you may go there and it might be completely different from that description. I know that someone on this board saw Dr. Yang perform a white crane strike that was extremely powerful. It is a very well-regarded style but also a very serious endeavour, if you want to learn to fight the fastest do longfist.

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it. im excited now that i have found a well-reguarded instructor.

I'm primarily a Korean stylist, but I use his books on chin na all of the time. If he teaches half as well he writes you'll learn alot.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Well I've read some of his books and seen him on video and all I gotta say is that this guy knows his stuff.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

It was me who saw the strike...it was very impressive considered the weight and rigidity of our sandbag (this sandbag is an old school one, been there for over 30 years without being changed, THICK leather).
    His jings are really impressive. Yet, at the same time, when he asks you to punch him and he blocks, you feel nothing, he just absorbs...
    Usually in YMAA, the curriculum is mixed, longfist and white crane. But I heard from good sources that Dr Yang is giving more and more of his white crane knowledge away these days (who knows, maybe in the Boston HQ you could find specifically White Crane lessons, or at least regular White Crane gong fu seminars), because he realized that at the difference of longfist, he hasn't really passed the white crane to someone. And since he's all about transmitting to not let the arts die in oblivion, it seems like he nowadays speeds up the process of exposing white crane (there's MUCH MUCH more than you can judge by just viewing the training curriculum on the website).
    Go for it, White Crane is a fascinating art with powerful jings, one that trains very soft jings à la Taiji as well as very hard ones. It contains hard and soft qigong, lot of qinna, takedowns, and surprising kicks (surprising in the sense of "unusual"), even if white crane is primary a upper limbs striking art.
    By the way, I want to correct: White crane, the fujian version, is a SHORT RANGE style, not a long range one. I find white crane much more suited than longfist for personal defense somehow (don't flame me), because of its theories, ways of moving and striking, the fact that once you got the jing right you can turn it into many techniques (instead of learning plenty of techniques like in longfist and having to adapt them when used for real, in white crane you directly train the jing, the driving force and principle underlying the technique). It also seems to me that white crane can be made efficient at ANY age, whereas long fist....well, gotta be young...take it from Li Mao Ching: "the secret of achievement in Shaolin is...youth". Arrrgghhhhhhh
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

I would highly recommend Dr Yang, Not only has the man got a doctrate in Engineering (i think, or at least that's what i've been told) he has the ability to explain complicated eastern concepts in Western terms as anybody who has read his column for Inside kung fu would know.

Funny, this thread should come up as he is our Si-Gung's kung fu brother as our Si-Gung studied Chang Quan under Li-mao Ching with Dr Yang. His also rumoured to be visiting our school with Li-mao Ching so i pretty excited about that

Kilik, that seems likely, every year there's a YMAA summer camp now, and this year's summer camp was supposed to be held in South Africa but it got changed and will be held in Hungary instead.
    Definitely, I'm sure he'll come down!
    Li is an incredible man too...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

I have heard that Dr. Yang is good (doctor of engineering or mechanics, not medicine, by the way--kilik mentioned that already), and that he is really a white crane guy. I have heard that he has the taiji forms but that his jin and fajin is that of a white crane practitioner. I know people will disagree with me, this is just what I've been told. Go see him yourself--I think most of his books are pretty cool (the qin-na ones especially).
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Yes, there is the criticism of Dr. Yang that his Taiji is White Crane "flavored". As I mentioned, Dr. Yang has studied all 3 of his styles continuosly since he was a teenager, so if the implication is that he's had a lot more White Crane instruction/practice than Taiji---I don't believe that's accurate.

There is no denying that Dr. Yang mixes elements of his White Crane into his Taiji. When I took the Taiji chin-na class from him, he said that he adapted a lot of these from his White Crane chin-na (I think he says that in his Taiji chin-na book). Also, I know that he brought in a lot of chest and spine qigong into his Taiji curriculum from White Crane, because he thought it was very important. I think critics of Dr. Yang infer that if he mixes elements of different styles, it must be because he has an insufficient knowledge of certain aspects of the styles, and has to fill in gaps. From my personal experience, I would draw the opposite conclusion. I feel that Dr. Yang's knowledge and understanding of the theories and training methods of the various styles is so strong that he's comfortable mixing elements of different arts WHEN the underlying theories are compatible. For example, in the Taiji chin-na, we did virtually all of the techniques in the context of single or double push-hands---all the principles of Taiji were in effect while we were learning those "White Crane" chin-na locks. Similarly, he does NOT bring things like 3-star blocking or the dynamic tension/hard qigong from his White Crane into the Taiji.

Anyways, that's just my opinion and observations--to each his own. But yes, if you have a concept that martial styles are "pure", and shouldn't be mixed, then Dr. Yang would probably not be your choice for a teacher.

A bit of misinformation was done here...

The White Crane that Yang teaches is the Fukien variety. It is NOT the Tibetan version.

As such it is in all likelihood the Crane style that if you go back far enough was the foundation for styles like Wing Chun.

It is a close to middle range version of White Crane with heavy emphasis on Fa Jing. If you have seen this version of Crane as well as the Tibetan long hand version of Crane, the differences are VERY obvious.

I have no first hand knowledge of Dr. Yang, however from his books and various articles/interviews it was my understanding that his predominant style was White Crane. Did I interpret that incorrectly?

Anyway, if I ever get to that part of the world I'll definitely be visiting his school. Hmmm White Crane.

Go forth NatGun. Just try it out.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

i wrote an e-mail to the school with a few questions, and Dr. Yang replied personally. good PR goes a long way with me, now i just have to get enough money together to pay for classes, man it sucks to be a poor college student.

natgun

if that doesn't work out, the place I go is right at the needham heights train stop in Needham. The class is 60 a month for 3 times a week. The teacher is a prison guard. It's called "Chinese Submission Fighting". At the end of the last class, some guy had to run around the room carrying a 90 lb punching bag, running in a circle while we kicked him in the stomach.

right near the attick bar? i think i know that place, whats it called? chinese submission fighting huh? sounds like fun, but i am out of shape, sounds like you need to be in reasonably good condition before you can start something like that.

the attic? I can't remember isn't that in Newton? The place is called carassco martial arts or something, It's TKD during the day, then we use the space the other times. You wouldn't really need anything except determination honestly. We are usually either doing chin na or punching drills. I only been going a few weeks and haven't done any sparring but it's all very physical. The class appears to be made up of bouncers. It's kind of like jail actually. come check it out anytime wed 6pm fri 6pm sun 10 am