Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would win in a Fight a Chinese Swordsman or a Samuari

Who would win in a Fight a Chinese Swordsman or a Samuari

Who would win in a fight a and wich would you rather be a Chinese swordsman useing the Gin straight sword or a Japanese Samuari useing a Samuari Sword ?

i'd rather be a wing chun man with the baat jam do

butterfly swords RULE
    Travis

structure in motion

Who would win in a Fight a Chinese Swordsman or a Samuari

I dunno, maybe..................

THE BETTER SWORDSMAN!!

If you look at old style chinese waist sabres and willow leaf sabers they are very much like samuri swords but the jian is totaly differant to any thing the japanese were interested in.

That being said i think that a sword fight would go like a sword fight between an english calvary guy with a heavy sabre (once the more popular dueling weapon) and an Italian guy with a rapier.

The rapier won historicaly and became the dueling weapon of choice due to the fact that it was so much faster than the sabre and dids not have to be drawn back before a strike.

So if we are talking a Chinese guy with a jian against a samuri with the stasndard samuri sword then i think the chinese guy will win.

Its like that film ( I forget the name ) where the English bad guy fights against a huge scots guy with a claymore.

Anyway there are lots of other variables such as armour, are the swords drawn prior to the fighting, length of weapon blah blah.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Thumbs up

You mean "Rob Roy"? That sword duel was pretty cool, the ending was to be expected

I think it would be interesting to see...i love seeing someone skilled using the katana, but for me the Jian and Dao are more interesting.

I'm sure there was plenty of this kind of thing during WW2 and also when the Japanese took over places like Shanghai etc.

interesting question though

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Basically I agree with Abel, but I would have to add that I don't follow your logic, Liokault.

The thrust is well-used, -loved, and -practised by Japanese swordsmen, and it's pretty fast. The katana also doesn't need drawing back before a strike, and the weighting of the blade, and the balance in a good grip makes it very convenient from any angle.

I'm not sure (perhaps someone like Black Jack could help us here) what the relative weights are, but I doubt that a jian is actually that much heavier than a katana, either.

Correction

A good samurai swordsman does NOT draw his blade back before striking..the attack comes from wherever he is at any given time..hence the reference and reliance upon "taijutsu", using the body. The blade is sharp from head to toe, use it to drag across the wrists of an opponent or arms while evading his attack was the point of swordsmanship, not huge wound up hacks! That crap is from the movies, real swordsman were masters not of aesthetics, but control, timing, distance, and accuracy! Jumping around is for chinese martial artist! :-)
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

depends

Depends on which one you give the gun to.

Re: depends

Originally posted by Mannek
    Depends on which one you give the gun to.
    What part of swordsman don't you understand genius?

Anyhoo, a katana usually only weighs a few pounds, maybe 5 at most. I have 2 katanas, more for show than fighting and they are only a few pounds, and incredibly well balanced. All the weight is not placed on one part of the weapon like some swords.
    I have a signature.

I wish I could help but I am not to up on those asian weapons but if someone would ask me to place a bet for the pure sake of betting I would place my cash on the Samurai warrior.

Why???

Because the Samurai is a elite solider first and foremost, he is not standard cannon fodder, so his training, skills and first hand experiance with his chosen weapon, IMO would place him at a higher level than a scholar with a Wen Jian. But in the end SifuAbel's statement holds the real water, whoever is better that specific day, at that specific time.

I do like the chinese straight sword though and it is very pretty to watch a skilled player perform and I have no doubt that from what little I have seen and read that a skilled fighter could use one with deadly skill. I would describe the sword as deceptive in its flowing movements.

But I would still go with the Katana if I had to pick between the two.
    Regards

For those that want some history on the samurai this is a great link.

http://www.samurai-archives.com/
    Regards

Ok if we are looking at the thrusting capabilities of the relative sword shapes then the jian wins out over the katana easly.

The katana is curved and is ment for slashing /cutting not thrusting. I am not saying that you can not thrust with it but that you will be at a disadvantage against a rapier type sword if you tried it.

Also i would heavely discount the hype surrounding the skills of samuri. The first european traders who arived in Nippon would have all been good with blades on their own terms and they considerd the skills of japanise swordsmen basic in the extream.

I am trying to find links to add more to this thread as i find it interesting but i am not haveing much luck.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Stacey Guest
    samurai vs chinese broadsword- samurai wins
    samurai vs chi massa we gin- Strait sword wins

I liked Rob Roy, I got a stiffy durring the part when the guys like "Imagine that I am the sword and you are the sheath."

I've never studied JMA swordsmanship, but I've studied Taiji saber for a couple years, and a little bit of Taiji sword. I've also been taking Western fencing since the beginning of the year. I love the CMA sword stuff, but to be honest, if I had to fight for my life against a single swordsman, I'd choose a rapier.

Ok i have played with a western fencer who has trained in it for 2 years.

Bear in mind that all i have done is the straight sword form and a few 2 person drills with the sword.

The fencer would almost always just pick a time to thrust whice after a while was easly counterd with a sweeping motion of my sword along with a fast step backwards.

After about 5 minuets we were winning about 50/50 but i think i won over all as the fencer was bleeding from a nasty scratch over the eye brow. ( did not think i was a threat and would not wear the protective gear even though it was all there)