Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If not wing chun..then what?

so your kinda like the "artist formerly known as prince"?

well, except that you werent formerly known

Travis

structure in motion

hmm, if no wing chun then I'd probably go do TKD(not sport) and Hapkido
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less travelled
    And that has made all the difference

What experiences/stories have led you to believe that its not all its cracked up to be?
    A story I heard about a dinner meeting between William Cheung, one of the Yang Mian principals, and some other people I know. Don't ask me for details, I figure I did the wrong thing even bringing this up and apologise for doing so to anyone offended.

I personally subscribe to RMA-style conditioning to take blows, having experienced similar demonstrations like the head trainer comfortably taking UFC competitor Elvis Sinosic's best punch. The idea of using compressed air as some sort of buffer would be contraindicated, as the idea is to disperse impact shock through relaxation and allowing everything to move with the punch. Holding the breath serves to restrict the ability to move, resulting in increased risk of trauma.

I'm not sure I'd want my body flooded with gases - aneurisms, hyperventilation, etc. Is it a healthy thing to do in the longer term?

11 strikes a second sounds great, but such claims are made by practitioners of many systems, Wing Chun/Tsun included. the "Speed Man", a Kempo Karate guy, claims up to 16.

Still, sounds like the demonstration you witnessed was effective. Better than my hearsay.
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-20-2002 at 08:10 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

using compressed air as some sort of buffer would be contraindicated, as the idea is to disperse impact shock through relaxation and allowing everything to move with the punch
    Agreed. I noticed that while this guy was not someone you'd want to run into in a dark ally (he was a good fighter) i did notice he had a lot of trouble relaxing.

I'm not sure I'd want my body flooded with gases - aneurisms, hyperventilation, etc. Is it a healthy thing to do in the longer term?
    Apparantly the grand master is still alive in china, he's apparantly over 100. Iv'e also heard stories (from another source) of peoples bodys steaming after death (who practice this internal air compression)

I personally subscribe to RMA-style conditioning to take blows
    What is RMA?
    S.Teebas

What is RMA?
    Russian Martial Arts. per www.rmax.tv or www.russianmartialart.com.

Iv'e also heard stories (from another source) of peoples bodys steaming after death (who practice this internal air compression)
    Spooky. Why would they do that? Elevated body temperature (not real healthy)? And how did death occur? No offense to you, as you said they're not your stories, but I am sceptical.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Thats happening to me! I'm going to a place in Japan where therre is no W.C!!

I would choose Bagua, Tai chi, Jui jitsu.

In Japan I don't have those choices so therefore I might consider Aikido, MMA, Judo. Mostly for improving my Japanese of course

Let me add my two cents. I took Wing Chun for less than a year back in 1986 with several private lessons. I wasn't ready for it - not mature enough. And life took over: college, work, more work, marriage, then day and night jobs. I started again in April 2000. But this time I had time, money, maturity. During all that time I never considered anything else. Always wanted to learn WC because it could be learned quickly with quick results. I have no other training in anything - not even sports. So my out-of-shape body could handle it too. Thank goodness no kneeling, splits, or head kicks! I'm still out of shape but I'm WC conditioned. I can chi sao hard or soft for 1-2 hours straight if I wanted too. Spar for quite a while - lightly. The only things I can't do in WC given my little training is sparring lightly with multiples. To me that's exhausting!

During my 14 year hiatus I never considered anything else. Now, if Wing Chun were not an option I would train with my fellow students. If that were not an option I would teach someone and learn and train with them. I have lots of knowledge and just need time and practice to improve it.

But being that I'm in the Chicago area I have many choices.

However, I think that between my former school and my present school I'm doing much better in my present school. My Sifu is a little bit crazy and extreme but he will show you raw fighting reality - which is not fun and very painful.

Enough of my rambling.

bagua, etc

first i would choose bagua, second i would choose praying mantis, but those aren't in my area. it i had to choose something that was here i would choose one of the good karate schools.
    when hands stick to hands there is no place to go.

I would train on my own.

IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

I guess I'm lucky enough to have a teacher who teaches a whole bunch of styles. My problem was picking which one to specialize in. I settles for mostly nan chaun, southern shaolin 5 animals for now. He teaches xing yi, pa kau, eagle claw, tai chi, ba chi, long fist, northern shaolin, drunken, dog boxing, chin na, flash boxing, di tong, 5 animal, shaoi jow, and more! It seems the one style he doesn't do is Wing Chun. He teaches a whole bunch of weapons too. I don't know what I'd do if couldn't study with him.

FONS:

Are you with Jim Egger? Say hello to him for me if you are.
    joy chaudhuri

Unhappy

FONS

What's dog boxing and flash boxing?
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)