Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lien Bu Quan

NorthShaolin

I too was lead to understand that it is a remnant of Shaolin Dragon.

I made a video with one of my kungfu brothers from my former kungfu school. Would you guys care to take a look at it and comment?

There is some text and a streamimng video of the set performed slowly.

I would appreciate any feedback about similarities or comments on the applications of the techniques found in the set. It's the first set I was taught in the BSL curriculum and I still like it today.

here's the link to the video -

cheersLien Bo Chuan
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Lien Bo Chuan
    KL' I know to versions of Lien Bo and have seen 2 others then the ones I know. But know I have seen 3 versions. I'm sure that there are more too.

But, I do see add moves to your version of the set.

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Thank you all. This information is quite helpful.

lian bu and dragon

I had heard that dragon story too, but discounted it for the most part, just because it doens't feel particularly dragon-like to me. Quite the opposite really. I have nothing to back that up yet; it's just an opinion. I totally agree with NS about the locks and takedowns - It's always my test now to see how well someone has their LBQ down. Like so much of CMA, most just grab the external shell. Few see the locks and takedowns, and that IMO, is the juiciest part.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene-

When I do the set at full speed, it tastes like Crane more than Dragon.

But everytime I look into the set, the return is "remnant of the Dragon style of Shaolin". So, for now, that's what I'm going with

Interesting observation, I feel the same way.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Good post.

crane

hmm, I suppose it tastes more like pek kwar to me, but I've never really thought about it like that. Actually a lot of BSL today has a strong Pek Kwar influence, at least it seems so with the stuff that passed through HK. You can really see it when you compare weapons. Both have a nine continents staff and the BSL broadsword is even called Pek Kwar Broadsword. In Lian Bu Quan, I see the crane in the right and left crane/willow palm moves near the end, but both of those are proceeded with pek kwar strikes, and there are two more on either side of those.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: lian bu and dragon

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Few see the locks and takedowns, and that IMO, is the juiciest part.
    I have to agree, there. Recently I began showing some of the more junior students how to extract applications from their forms. I first showed them an obvious application and they were all kind of . But then when I showed them a takedown within the same move and they all went .

Now they practice the applications all the time.

I haven't honestly really looked at Pek Kwar. Also I am not experienced in the BSL system overall.
    Is there info on where Pek Kwar influences BSL or vice versa? How it occured and so on?
    Or is that an upcoming article?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

article...

...After I worked on the Pek Kwar video, I was toying with the idea of an article, but I never really went far with it. Everyone says theirs is the original, so neither the pek kwar or bsl people revealed anything worthwhile. My gut feeling is that pek kwar was first and bsl borrowed from it, but I cannot validate it. It just feels older. So there was nothing really publishable as an article out of it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    cool, thanks for the post KL.

I can't get a good look at it due to poor DL speed at work, though.

That makes the third version I've seen: the one I do, one a buddy of mine does and now yours. I have a lot of video work to do anyway, I'll try and get mine done and up on my website for your perusal.

I feel like the version we do is very bagua'ish. a lot of flank steps and grazing blocks to palm strikes but I think I know where that influence comes into it so it sorta makes sense.

There are striking techniques in LBC??? I thought it was JUST a locking takedown form.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Anything that is a throw, is a strike if you take one step back.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Just had a look at the vid.

Wow. The variance is amazing. Same form, the roads are the same and a number of the moves are mostly the same.

{edit}

and by watching your version I certainly see the possibility of it being a 'dragon' remnant. my version does not....'emote' that animal to me. I will do my best to get this filmed soon for comparison. It will definitely be after the 28th of July. I have absolutely no free time till then.

{/edit}

I thought of yet a fourth version I've seen from a shoalin guy here in town as well.

RD...didn't get it did you?
    Last edited by Oso; 07-17-2003 at 05:21 PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I guess not ehy? Oh well, I'm not perfect all the time!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

that's ok, you're right so much of the time I'll let it go this time.