Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lien Bu Quan

so much info on lain bu chuan. this is great. i never knew that much about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Ravenshaw,

Your Lien Bo is really a T shape that everyone is referring. If you take the distance moving to the left, you'll find that it is equal to the distance traveled to the rigth. And when you start going on the center line (the main line), where the left leg or foot is placed, it really is the mid-point such that the distance going to the left is equal to the distance going to the right, thus it is a T-shape.

SM,

Thank for the scan document. I've been told that Lien Bo was connected to the five animals i.e., specifically Dragon. However I did not know exactly who should take the credit. However, I do know who take the credit for standardizing Lien Bo at the Nanjing Kuo Sho school. I'll dig it up and post it later if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the scans!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernShaolin View Post
    I do know who take the credit for standardizing Lien Bo at the Nanjing Kuo Sho school. I'll dig it up and post it later if anyone is interested.
    I'm interested, as always.

According to the text, Wu Lin Chang Ku, the Five Tigers from the North went South and an official announcement by Li Chi Shen was made that Wan Li Sheng was to be head of both of the Central National Arts Provinces Schools in Kwangsi and Kwangtung.

WLS then assigned Kuo Yu Chang (BSL) to be head of Kwangtung Provincial School and Wang Shao Chou (Ch'a and BSL) as head of Kwangsi Provincial School. WLS requested that all the Five Tigers meet with Wang Shao Chou in setting up a standard martial arts program for the Provenicial schools. As a result of this meeting, all the masters agreed that the standard basic set would be Lien Bo Chuan from Wu Chih Ch'ing who was a master of Ch'a Style and Short Strike Style. He also authored several books on Tan T'ui, Ch'a Number Four and Short Strike Fist.

"Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Quote Originally Posted by iron_leg_dave View Post
    that looks almost nothing like the lin bu i learned.

where is it from?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A chinese laundry mat owner in central Ohio named Mo Ying. It is part of a longfist curriculum.

Two things I do differently than the way I learned it. The first thing is instead of cover and strike, I use the parry and strike from later forms and in one technique, I replace that cover and strike with a side palm to the waist. The reason for that is that I saw someone else do it, and realized it fits into the sequence without taking anything away.

its a nice form.your stances are "wide/broad" in some movments: have you pratice japanese MA before?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    The version I know has one step to the left in the beginning, then we step back to the starting point before turning and going in a line... so I guess it's more of an L shape than a T, though the foot of the L is very short.

This is more or less how I do it. I always thought this set was so jerky compared to the other sets in the BSL curriculum, even the 18 Techniques. Seems like single technique followed by single technique with only a few real combinations.
    the lin bu i learned was similar to that, but not actually like that.
    The BSL I learned came from Sifu Ma in Alberta Canada. He taught my teacher. I believe he has passed now, but he was in the same lines as wing lam, just a generation previous, maybe two.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sunwukon View Post
    its a nice form.your stances are "wide/broad" in some movments: have you pratice japanese MA before?

cheers

Me?

No. Well, Judo and when I was little my parents did jiu jitsu and would play with me. Not in the form of katas or any kind of stancework though.

Our latest sweepstakes

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Essence of Lien Bu Chuan, autographed by Artie Aviiles, James Man Chin & Nelson Tsou! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 4/14/2016.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

BAK SIL LUM's Lien Bu Chan:Which one is the real one?

Hey guys,what's up?

I was watching some kung fu videos and found out that the taiwanese lien bu chuan is considerably longer and more complex than the version taught in most schools in the west,even considering variations.

Would guys know which one is the orginal one? The simpler version or the taiwanese more complex version?

Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan View Post
    Hey guys,what's up?

I was watching some kung fu videos and found out that the taiwanese lien bu chuan is considerably longer and more complex than the version taught in most schools in the west,even considering variations.

Would guys know which one is the orginal one? The simpler version or the taiwanese more complex version?
    Probably so! Most schools teach a wushu standardized version instead of the pre-1960 'classical" longer form. Even with the 'classical form' variations are still minimal compared to the no present nandu point scoring version. Even when I did changquan in the 1980s as part of competition (just, and still an amateur), they started to incorporated and re-engineer changquan (and nanquan) are the current version of things to come

Though I use the term 'classical' etc. which ever one shows application. utility, purpose, etc, then I would label said form to be more information than just the repetition of a classical empty form devoid of function.