View Poll Results: what do you think of wing chun?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • its too theoretical

0 0%
  • its too theoretical too concerned with lineage

0 0%
  • its too theoretical too concerned with lineage and is too self obsessed with chi sau and doesn't sparr with other styles enough

8 34.78%
  • is wing chun a good yet simple art that one can be good at with hard work just like any other style

17 73.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: southern k.f's oppinion of wing chun?

southern k.f's oppinion of wing chun?

what does the southern kung fu community think of wing chun. the wing chun community seems to isolate itself?

is wing chun seen as too theoretical, all talk and no action? does it seem you need to have a degree in physics to understand some wing chun articles, even though it claims to be very simple?

is the wing chun community way too focused on lineage, and who has the best?

what does the southern kung fu community think of the fact that the wing chun community mostly only does chi sau with other wing chun people and rarely sparrs with any other style?

I am a wing chun practitioner. I really love my style but I think that the wing chun community as a whole has some problems, I was wondering if people of other styles of southern kung fu have noticed the same things I have. thank you.
    when hands stick to hands there is no place to go.

MHO

Definitely a well respected style. Has a fierce reputation in Hong Kong. Once involved in a lot of challenge matches with other styles. Probably one of the more practice-based less theoretical systems around.

what in the world are you doing "wingchunalex"?
    Constructing a sensible and meaningful poll
    takes some precision. Your broad general phrasing
    is an inadequate way to discuss what you claim to be your art.
    Ecchhh.

I'm with Yuanfen on this one.
    None of the poll options really or clearly define how I regard Wing Chun.

A bit of all really.
    Colin............
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "its too theoretical"
    -southern gung-fu (Hung-Ga, Wing Chun, Southern Mantis, etc) is concept oriented, rather than technique oriented, no developed system is simply a bunch of techniques thrown together
    "its too theoretical too concerned with lineage"
    -your lineage is your history and gives insight to the development and legitimacy of your system-too many self-promoted masters have cropped up ever since Bruce Lee-this of course has no bearing on the situation where the lousy student studied under the great instructor-it happens all too frequently.
    "its too theoretical too concerned with lineage and is too self obsessed with chi sau and doesn't sparr with other styles enough"
    -most good schools spar with other systems-in fact, in Hong Kong, this was quite a common occurance.
    " wing chun is a good yet simple art that one can be good at with hard work just like any other style"
    -do not confuse simple with subtle complexities. Siu lim tao is simple-meaning it doesn't have footwork, and seems to be composed of few movements, but it full of subtle complexities, stressing a precsicion of movement, and structural perfection. Simple is the understatement of the century.

I don't like the little clan thing that some wing chun schools seem to do. I had a really good sifu that tought bak mei fut gar and wing chun. He wasn't weird about only doing WC and didn't seem to nit pic all the little mute details some WC people seem to be obsessed over. I can only speak for my experiences with wing chun stylists here in the US. I like the style. It's just doesn't seem as fun or intesting as other styles to me though. Seems like there's more drama in wing chun with other wing chun schools than anywhere else in kung fu. Some people do seem to think it's a super style or something. Seems like some sifus promote it that way. It sucks to be humbled. It's always good to spar everyone you can.

to me wing chun is none of the things you have mentioned above.

There are many theories and things that can be difficult to understand, but to me it's more in the doing and not thinking too much about it that is important I know if i think about things too much then it doesn't work!

I don't care about the differences in lineage. I worry about understanding the skills i am learning from my Sifu, Sigong etc. There is enough diversity for everyone The only thing i don't like is when people claim something that's not true...

I train Chi Sau with my own class and other wing chun people, so i can understand how to use the skill. If i can't understand how to relax and use the correct energy, footwork etc. first (without having to worry about getting beat up and protecting myself), then theres no point in worrying about sparring with someone from a different style. But once i can apply my skills properly, then i don't mind playing with anyone

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

explain

if you don't like my poll choices please feel free to explain what you think. thank you for your imput.
    when hands stick to hands there is no place to go.

i thought i explained why i didn't agree with your poll well enough?

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I think wing chun is the best, most excellent, totally awsome/fantastic system you could practice!!!

S.Teebas

..and amazing and interesting too!
    S.Teebas