Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics & Wushu

firepalm Guest

The Olympics & Wushu

Now that Beijing is confirmed for the Olympics & the likelyhood of Wushu getting into the Olympics is pretty much set (recent Chinese newspapers have stated it as confirmed), how many out there will consider the change or foresee wushu becoming a part of their school ciriculum? Just curious.

Blog Entries

Wushu in Olympics,

Like it or not, it will help the (sport / M-art).

http://www.usawushu.com/resources/index.html

It doesn't matter what gets you there, so long as you train hard. Eventually, as wushu rises, more and more people will hopefully be interested in other more tradiional arts.

what ever gets there man,

"O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

I'd rather watch Wushu than Sport Karate.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

It's still not 100% in...

Hopefully they'll come up with better set up for events than the crap that was proposed before. Personally, I'd like to see them do away with international compulsory routines. Or at least regulate them to only being used for qualification for the team.

that website annoucement may have been a bit presumptuous

The terms of its addition aren't clear. Don't trust any information that you hear from the CMA community because we're all spinning in circles. Remember when we were all saying san shou was going to go in. And look was pankration has been saying about being in Athen's but they haven't even applied for official status.
    Nothing is certain until the IOC says, and even that is subject to change.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It's a sub sport like syncronized swimming and should not be included. While their at it maybe they could weed out some of the other sub sports. Then getting out of bed with bankofamerica would be in order. Maybe if wushu is completely rejected the pathetic cheats at usakwf would get a life.

This is an interesting question.

Do you think TKD contributed greatly to the martial arts. Many say TKD and it's McDojo tendency epitomise what is wrong with martial arts. But many people who cuss TKD often started their martial arts in TKD.

As of Wushu in Olympic, no, I don't think it's a good idea. As far as "Olympic" Wushu goes, it's just gymnastic adopted to martial arts. Open Pushing Hand competition is much more productive for the martial arts in the long run, IMO.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Maybe if wushu is completely rejected the pathetic cheats at usakwf would get a life.
    If wushu were accepted into the Olympics, it's my understanding that the USAWKF would have to change a lot of things about their organization in order to become recognized by the USOC. As they're set up right now, they wouldn't be elligable to send a team to the Olympics.

Sport Wushu is here to stay, like it or not, and for the most part one of the better organized martial arts out there. It is however not the be all & end all of Chinese martial arts, just one aspect of it. Folk out there should just come to accept that it is just the 'performance sport aspect' of Chinese martial arts. Few Asian martial arts have the diversity that we have & I think this is one of the things that will carry CMA forward. Finally if Sport Wushu makes it into the Olympics it will bring greater exposure to Chinese martial arts, maybe not the exposure that some traditionalists would like nonetheless exposure.

My two cents

Thumbs down

what a surprise! ....... NOT!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

That is too bad.

Not at all surprising...

No big support structure...

All rules and judging aspects are controlled by a single country

That single country - with the exception of the Sanshou arena - would dominate ALL medals in the event...either by skill or a deft change of rules...

Given the ethics problems the IOC has had in recent times, they would reject Wushu as a sport based on the ethical issues alone....like they NEED another headache.

But there are simple logistical and appeal issues as well.

Like NO ONE could see this one coming a year ago....

I am aghast....

That really sucks!

Am I the only one who's dissapointed in hearing this?

All politics aside, it would be cool to see Wushu grow into an international sport that's endorsed by the Olympics.

This is really dissapointing.

On one hand I would have liked to see some form of Chinese Martial Arts in the Olympics...and Wushu (Taolu AND Sanshou) seemed to be the best fit.

On the other, having worked with the organizations and having witnessed the things that go on in the US, Canada, Mexico, various South American countries, South Africa, and the PRC in regards to judge training, recognition, money, events, etc... I am NOT disappointed.

To move forward with such a flawed and inherently biased and unfair setup would only end up being a big scandal. The IWuF should really focus on getting their act together and getting out of the mindset they have always had and build an organization and sport that everyone can view with pride.

They also need to focus on building an infrastructure for competitors. How can they hope to compete with things like gymnastics as an event when there are no real athlete development orgs focusing on getting young kids involved and keeping them involved.

The contradiction is that the PRC wants to hold all of the cards for control of the IWuF. Fine and dandy....but what comes with THAT territory is that they also have to offer to pay some bills, supply help in building and promoting an infrastructure in countries, and in short working to develop Wushu throughout the world in words, deeds, AND Money