Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double punch.

Double punch.

Chum choi?

I don't like it! I can't get any power, and I don't know when to use it!

How do you get power?! How do you use it?!

Daft, I know, but my sifu's answers don't fit with my experience... OK, OK, I just can't get it to work!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Something interesting about the double punch. I have mostly seen it done with the fist lined up one over the other but recently we started playing with it sort of seperated by a couple of fist lengths. This way if your opponent turns the you have a better chance of connecting.

hmm, I asked my sifu about it a while back and he said it was only for development.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less travelled
    And that has made all the difference

Mat; I it well could be that your pectorals and deltoids are not
    softened up enough. I get more power than I can use when I do
    the double punching. The forms are not sequences of techniques.
    ALL motions in the forms develop some specific principles and targeted skill development. Just as the regular basic punch- for air punching its full extension- for application it can be very very short. If you do enough double punching...both fists will fly right down the centerline unless you are the old Arnie- then the pecs will push them out till you become soft. The double punching
    gets you to equally balance both sides of your body. It helps you provide the foundations for all sorts of two handed attacks-
    including for instance the po pai jeung. You can do it as a devlopmental drill. Because of its rich possibilitities for devlopment- Augustine Fong inserted it in the section of the slt which has two handed motions.

Thanks.

I don't have a problem with po pai though, which is strange... maybe the combination of rolling the hands back and using both fists somehow brings the tension to my shoulders.

But why would it have any advantage as a drill or a technique over one punch or a combo/chain?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

???

I've not seen this used in the club I train at. Is it practised widely?

Joy - You said Sifu Fong inserted it into SLT. Was it in originally and removed by Yip Man? What are its rich possibilies for development?

Does anyone know how far the fists should be spaced apart? I was thinking the closer they are the easier it must be to deal with them.

Ta
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

fongs line double punch

the double punch was orignally taught to sifu fong by Master Ho just for training. However, it was no where to be found in any of the forms. Thus, sifu put the double punch into the 1st form so it can be referenced by the students.

so where in the first form do they do there double punch.

Double punch is inserted in the sequence after the double biu sau,
    then sink the elbows/jut then double punch.
    The double punch was used asa a drill by both Yip Man and Ho Kam Ming. Again, if you see Chao and Weakland(Chow wasa Ip man private student and has no connection with Sifu Fong) you will seea double punch drill. he even has Weakland practicing his kwan sao against the double punch. The double punch is FOUNDATION work...combinations are more applications Mat.
    It really develops some important two shoulder balancing skills.

Mat- the double bears doing chi sao was forst used by Bob Gahl in the Bay Area home page.

double punch

yuanfen,

Just some clarification. You mentioned that the double punch was inserted by Augustine Fong in the SLT. Does this mean that the double punch in SLT is not found in other Yip Man lineage? I'm not from Yip Man lineage, but the double punch is included in our SLT.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

Wingman- Great. I did not imply that others dont have it. Simply that all lineages dont do it. At times some ignorant folks claim
    that things that our line does in the forms have been imported from somewhere else- not so. We do only wing chun . Just that some folks looking at the pics taken just before Ip man died or
    the pics arranged by one or two individuals is the "authentic" wing chun. They mistake the pictures for the subject.

the double punch isnt in the SLT we train, however thats not to say i've never used it!

it's fun to pull off against beginning chi sau players at our school, empties their cup a little, and shows them how open their center is

question for those people who have it in their SLT and use it:

do your double punches have more elbows moving in energy (po pi), or elbows moving up energy (straight punch)?
    Travis

structure in motion

Originally posted by yuanfen
    The double punch is FOUNDATION work...
    That's what I suspected but one of my sifu has tried to teach me applications which don't appear very useful, for reasons Black and Blue has mentioned, among others.

combinations are more applications Mat.

Yes, I would agree, but I was meaning chain punches, not combinations involving more than one technique. I usually call two chain punches a 'double punch' which would have caused confusion on this thread!! Sorry, I still didn't help!

It really develops some important two shoulder balancing skills.

OK, thanks Joy, but could you explain the difference in the mechanics of these two-shoulder balancing skills and any other double hand movement in the forms...? Why does this have any advantages over, say, the double jut and biu in slt for loosening up your shoulders or chest muscles? Or for any other reason...?

Not testing; just curious!

Mat- the double bears doing chi sao was forst used by Bob Gahl in the Bay Area home page.
    Oh yes, I knew I'd seen it somewhere apart from the page I lifted it from...

Yuanfen...

The double punch is FOUNDATION work..
    Im not sure if you mean you dont use this in real application? (i cant see why you wouldn't ?) ..the mechanics seem the same as any other arm movement. ie the joint rotation with correct tension/relaxation etc etc..

Arn't all the forms foundations work?
    S.Teebas

Mat- the double punch energy is focused at the cross line between nipples(most) and the centerline- best place to practice regular punching as well-- loosens up all the rust. Nothing wrong with jut and biu...but the fact that you are not comfortable with the double punch means to me that may be you should do some.
    There maybe some remaining tightness here and there.

Teebas- sure you can use the double punch if the circumstances are right but you do not mechanically begin with that intention.
    Depends on what the circumstances are and what the other fella is doing.