Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Originally posted by IronFist
    Heh, oops But you see my point, right?
    Yep. We are both simply promoting different methods of achieving the same thing.

Cool. You and I seldom disagree.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Weight Lifting

I am 14 and 108 pounds. 2 weeks ago my max for bench pressing was 115. My normal routine was to lift 90 lbs in 3 sets of 3, 95lbs in 3 sets of 3, 100lbs in 3 sets of 3, and to finish it off 105 in 3 sets of 3. I have kept to that routine and yesterday I lifted 130! So now I need a new routine. I was thinking 100lbs in 3 sets of 3, 105lbs in 3 sets of 3, 110lbs in 3 sets of 3, and to finish it of 115 in 3 sets of 3. Is this a good new routine for the weight I can now lift or should I be lifting more weight? What should my new routine be? By the way I am a wrestler and i heard that I should do long distance running and squats to build up leg strength. Is this true? And I also heard that squating makes you run slower ( if so it is not a problem for me since I just run for distance not time) is this true? thanks for your time

I don't think I could bench 115 when I was 14.

By the way I am a wrestler and i heard that I should do long distance running and squats to build up leg strength. Is this true?

Yes, but squatting will build power and long distance running will build endurance.

And I also heard that squating makes you run slower ( if so it is not a problem for me since I just run for distance not time) is this true?

There are too many factors involved here to say that. It could be true, such as if you used to be a sprinter and then you quit running and only squatted for months, you would probably get slower if you tried to run again. Or, it could be not true, like if you use squatting to supplement your running program. If you're not a sprinter I probably wouldn't worry about it. More important for wrestling is leg strength and endurance. Do you do Hindu squats? They are an awesome exercise for wrestlers. Try to build up to 100 in a row to start out with.

IronFist

Ya i do hindu squats. I''ve been doing a hundred in a row for months now.

Impressive.

How about one legged squats?

IronFist

What are Hindu squats? How do you do them?

thanx
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Here. Bottom of the page.

IronFist

Running long distances too often is probably not a good idea because you may lose muscle. Some distance runners avoid the gym although some do gym work - it depends. Sprinters are more likely to do strength work. When I say long distances I mean 10k plus several times a week. Some amateur runners can cover 60 miles a week - that sort of regime is going to hinder the development of absolute strength imho - depends what else you do though - certainly running long distances in itself is not going to build much strength unless you are very weak. Try shorter faster runs or runs that include some very steep hills - try and sprint the hills or run fast up them, use the flats or down hill as recovery.

I'm interested in what would be considered a good balance in terms of lifts. For example, if I am doing squats with say 100kg, what would be a reasonable amount to bench etc etc etc. I expect each individual is different but I wondered what the normal proportions were ??

Be careful with the hindu squats. I screwed up my right knee really bad with those. I'd do 100's no problem for months. Then all of a sudden, I must have bent wrong one time or something because I was limping for a while afterward. Last time I tried them, I was in serious pain while walking for close to a month... Obviously I screwed something up bad. Just be careful.

thanx for the link

Can I still do Hindu squats if I'm Catholic??
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Another great exercise for leg strength besides hindu squats and one-legged squats is the 'deck-squat' (see this webpage for a description: http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...2&articleid=45). I do these holding either a 45lb. plate or a 36lb KB. Really great exercise for the legs!

I'm not sure if this applies to wrestling, but generally speaking combat arts use anaerobic endurance, which means you should not run long distances but rather do wind sprints (HIIT program), i.e. you could jog for 1 minute then do 30seconds of sprints and so forth for about 20 minutes... It's a killer!

KG

Good advice, of course you need to train aerobically as well. I have a limited understanding of this so if an expert wants to contradict me no offence will be taken.

Anaerobic means you are using the energy stored in the muscle. Aerobic means you are using energy delivered in the blood to the muscle (I think that's right). By speeding up the heart more blood can deliver more energy but there are limits - hence the need for a store in the muscle itself for exceptional effort over short time periods - kind of like nitrous injection on a car.

I am not a sports scientist so I am probably not explaining this well but the length of time you can operate flat out is very limited indeed. In other words there are limits on how far you can increase your anaerobic endurance. Look at a sprinter - you can't run flat out for more than 20 seconds or so. If your fight is going to last more than 20 seconds you might want to train aerobic and anaerobic - which of course the jog/sprint programme will do - whereas just jogging would not give you the anaerobic benefit.

Cyclists need aerobic efficiency and will work out their pulse rate where they can ride on the edge of working anaerobically without actually crossing that threshold, but they will also train anaerobically to cover breaks, for sprint finishing, short sharp hills etc. So long distance events such as the Tour de France still require the athlete to be able to work anaerobically. A fight is often similar - especially wrestling - where you are probably going to be expending energy constantly interspersed with periods of intense activity. Train to increase anerobic endurance (how much energy the muscles store) and recovery (how quickly they replenish) as well as aerobic which will affect the level of exertion you can use before you need to call on anaerobic energy - in other words if you are aerobically fit you don't waste your stores of valuable energy in the muscles - that is why people that say aerobic training through running is a waste of time are wrong - it is valuable but only part of the story.

Responses?

ps - I still want someone to tell me what the average ratios are for different lifts - eg if I can squat 100 what would it be normal for me to be able to bench press etc etc Or is this a silly question ?

I can do about 20 one leg squats, but I can't go down as far as I can with 2 legs. Here is my daily routine, I need some advice on how to get my stamina up. I do these with long breaks between them so I can do them at my best.

-jog a mile
    -hand weight exercises
    -50 normal push ups (20, 10, 10, 10), 40 reverse push ups aka chest ups (20, 20), and 10 knuckle push ups. I do these 30 seconds apart
    -300 crunches straight, 200 straight side to side crunches (don't know the actual name for them), 50 straight sit ups, and at the end the exercise where you start at 6 inches and then put your feet behind your head and then back to 6 inches. I do that 20 times and the last one I hold 6 inches for 30 seconds. I do these swith 30 second breaks inbetween them.
    -I use an ab roller for 5 mins
    -100 squats
    - and every other day I bench press and do leg weight exercises (don't know the names of them)

The only ones I do at once are sometimes the push ups and sit ups. I was thinking about do them all at once like this. Weight lifting, jogging, sit ups, push ups, ab flexer, and then doing my hand weight exercises after I take a shower.

O ya and starting monday I will be doing 2-3 miles for cross country practices.