Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Weight Lifting

Originally posted by 12345
    ps - I still want someone to tell me what the average ratios are for different lifts - eg if I can squat 100 what would it be normal for me to be able to bench press etc etc Or is this a silly question ?
    Well, most people can squat 100 or 200lbs more than they can bench. However, in reality it's whatever you've trained to do. If you have benched for 5 years and never squatted then you'll probably be able to bench 200+ more than you can squat

There may be ratios, actually, for bench, squat, and deadlift, but I don't know what they are

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Question Weight Lifting

Is there a way that you can lift weights or something you can do before/after you lift weights to gain power without sacrificing speed?

?????????

I'm no authority, but look into olympic style lifting. Ironfist and/or Ford Prefect should be able to give you some good info.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

As ewallace mentioned, you can try olympic weight lifting which builds strength and speed together. There are numerous ways you can not only not lose speed but gain it as well. Check out the "ballistic training" thread on this forum. I believe a few different ways are mentioned as well as links to resources. What is your typical workout like and what are you trying to accomplish? The answers to these will help people lead you to what would be best for you. It'll have to be somebody other than me though because I'll be with Mickey Mouse on vaca as of 2pm EST! Woohoo! M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E! Mickey Mouse! The one and only... hehehe. I'm a ****.

I'm a ****.
    'Nuff said.
    I have 20 days until I go on vacce to san diego. Wait no, 20 days 4 hours and 40 minutes. Waiting sucks.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Sweet. I vistted my bud out in Huntington Beach in April. Socal is awesome. Surfing was a blast too.

Probably going to try that too.

</threadjack>

PERSONALLY, I think the notion that lifting weights slows you down is a bunch of mularky. I think the only way it will slow you down is if you get massive and bulky, and that takes years to do, and I'm assuming you're not lifting to get that way, anyway. If you're lifting to get stronger and leaner and more fit, I personally don't think it will slow you down.

Cool Discussion on weight lifting

One thing that a lot of my friends(my self included)and other people seem to keep researching and asking questions about is weight lifting to complement your martial arts training.I thought that since this question keeps reappearing that we could start a discussion about it on here,about the pros and cons, and what works v.s. what doesn't work.What are your opinions on wieght lifting and it's effectivness as opposed to bodyweight exercises.I personally like doing bodyweight exercises just as much(if not more)as lifting weights.The main reason I like them is because I know that i'm getting results from them.I just started taking Kung Fu where my instructors like to stress physical fitness more so than my instructors did at my old karate school(actually we did no physically exerting exercises in karate).Because of all the exercises that I have been doing(in the kwoon and at home)that I learned from my kung fu class I have gained some strength and am in the best shape i've ever been in but,one thing that I have thought about is this.Bodyweight exercises will help you to get stronger in the beggining but once you get to a certain point you are just working on muscle endurance and not strength.Therefore,if you want to get any stronger you have to incorporate some sort of weight training into it or you will just be standing still in the strength department.Because of this problem I started to do a little powerlifting which has worked out wonderfully.When I first started lifting weights I could barely bench press 120 one time and was shaky afterwards.After doing the powerlifting for about 2 months I could bench press 150 about 4 times.Based on that experience I think that lifting weights is a good idea and can be very helpful(if done right)to a person in the martial arts of any kind.What are some of your experiences with lifting weights?Do you perfere to lift for strength of endurance or do you do both?Do you even think that weight lifting is beneficial?If you don't lift weights,why not?If you do lift weights,why do you?Do you like bodyweight exercises more than lifting weights and why?

For those who are still reading this:I think that if everyone answers these questions we can get rid of a lot of the questions that pop up on these boards about weight lifting and have more knowledge about it ourselves.

Thanks for hanging on throughout this post!!!

Later

Viper

Dude, I'm not trying to be a dick, but check this out:

Space bar - used to put spaces in between sentences.

Enter key - used to create new lines. Useful when dealing with multiple paragraphs.

IronFist

Also, powerlifting is good and all, but make sure you get some endurance work, too. I found that out the hard way. After many months of only doing 2 sets of 5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest I got my ass kicked when I tried to do 10 sets of 5 reps with only 30 seconds rest.

IronFist

Talking

Ifist:Is that what those buttons are for?

Thanks for letting me know, I would have never figured that out by myself.

I agree with Iron. Paragraphs are your friend.

As per powerlifting, it isn't the end all be all. It's good for maximal strength but that's about it.

high rep url

http://members.aol.com/rayzwocker/worldclass/102200.htm

Any of you have an opinion on this - just something I came across.