Thread: KYC's Curriculum

KYC's Curriculum

Gene,

Rather than produce what I learn in NSL I thought it would have more meaningful if I produce a near total of KYC’s curriculum. Although I learnt some of these sets, there are still so much more that I do not know.

The following is what I could determine what KYC’s curriculum was in the 1930’s. This list is far from being complete and accurate. What is known and documented is that KYC learnt all 18 traditional weapons as well as the 10 sets in NSL, 10 sets in Liu Ho Chuan, and 10 sets in Cha Chuan. Besides his Iron Palm skills he also learnt Small Golden Bell which allows the body to absorb punches and kicks at full force.

What complicates my research on his curriculum is that as the years went by, KYC started to narrow his curriculum as did his number one disciple, YSW. KYC narrowed his original intent of teaching his knowledge because his curriculum was dictated by government policy and by the country’s state of constant turmoil. Also many of his students had previous CMA background and so rather than starting them at the beginning stages of NSL, he started them at the intermediate level.

However, in YSW’s case, he had different reasons to narrow his curriculum. During YSW’s period, his students spend less time practicing and thus even though he had students numbering in the thousands, many of his students did not reach a level where the opportunity to learn some higher level sets were offered. Later, YSW decided rather than teaching a beginning, intermediate and advance level saber set, he selected one saber set out of the three different levels and that set would represented the basic overall flavor of NSL saber.

Another factor was YSW’s age; he was slowly forgetting sets as he got older. There is a story of how YSW stopped in the middle of teaching a sparring set because he could not remember the next move. After a month of waiting, the students inquired about their lessons and YSW’s response was that if he could not remember any parts of a set, then he rather not teach it at all.

Anyway, specifically this list is what I found that was KYC’s curriculum at one point in time. Many of the weapons are of the light variety because KYC favored the lighter weapons rather than the heavier weapons and thus this may have had an influence in what he taught. He was also know to have knowledge of the art of throwing darts and a weapon that best described as a sling shot that shot small iron balls. While a majority of the knowledge was passed to his top disciples, many of these sets were not passed down. Sets listed are in no particular order.

Please do not confuse this as NSL’s curriculum. It is only represents whatappears to be part of KYC’s CMA knowledge and not specifically in the area of NSL. KYC, like most teachers of his time and thereafter, had students that demonstrated special talents, who were program or pre-determined by KYC himself, as to what the students were going to learn in his curriculum. They would learn the regular program material and then go way beyond it. The next level down were semi- special students who followed a standard program and were also allowed once in a while to deviate from the regular program in order to learn selective subject materials that were not offered in the regular program. Lastly, there were the regular students who were only allowed to learn the standard program and were never allowed to deviate from the regular program.

Hand Sets
    10 rows of Tan T’ui
    Shaolin Battle set - Cross battle
    - Escape Battle
    - Big Battle
    - Short Battle
    - Combination Battle (Arm Locks)
    Shaolin #1 to #10
    Shaolin Sparring
    Shaolin 18 Hands
    Lui Ho #1 to #10
    Cha Chuan #1 to #10
    Small Golden Bell (Chi Kung)
    Lan I Chuan (Seize under the cloth fist)
    Iron Sand Palm
    Tai Chi (Yang/Sun Hybid)
    Sun Style Pa Kua Chuan
    Hsing I (Sun Style)
    -12 animals
    -five Elements
    - Linking Elements
    - Create Elements
    - Destroy Elements
    - Continious Fist
    - Eight Shape
    - Mix Shape
    - Five Element sparring
    - Eagle Bear Spearing
    - Five Element Saber
    - Continious Saber
    Weapon sets
    Eyebrow Staff
    Nine Island Staff
    Capture the Lamb Staff
    Pei Chi Saber
    Lui Ho Saber
    Swallow Tail Saber
    Ground Rolling Double Sabers
    Lui Ho Double Sabers
    Wonderful Fish Tail Double Sabers
    Pa Kua Double Sabers
    Dragon Shape Sword
    Seven Star Sword
    Wu Tang Sword
    Tai Yu Sword
    Tai Chi Sword
    Plum Blossom Double Dragon Swords
    Raise Blocking Spear
    Liu Ho Spear
    Five Tiger Spear
    24 Iron Spear
    Double Tiger Hooks
    Double Daggers
    Single Dagger
    Ma Ya La
    Double Axes
    Chi Lang Mallet
    T’an Lu Mallet
    Ground Rolling Chain
    Nine link Plum Blossom Ground Rolling Chain
    Plum Blossom Double Chain
    Dragon Head Cane
    Long Bench
    Triple Staff
    Continious Link Triple Staff
    Horse Knife
    Choi Yeung Big Knife
    Spring Autumn Big Knife
    Snake Lance
    Hua Halbeard
    Two Section Staff
    Snake Halberd
    Monk Spade/Shovel
    Staff vs Saff
    Saber vs Saber
    Spear vs Spear
    Spear vs Staff
    Saber vs Spear
    Spear vs Big Knife
    Empty hands vs Spear
    Empty hands vs Double Daggers
    Double Daggers vs Spear
    Triple Staff vs Spear
    Triple Staff vs Triple Staff
    Wu Tang Sword Fighting (Fix Step)
    Wu Tang Sword Fighting (Active Step)

You will notice that some of the classical 18 weapons are missing because I could not confirm nor verify that these particular weapons were ever taught by KYC. Some of the weapon sets are not specifically NSL because KICK learned these particular sets from his internal teachers and some others were from his Northern peers at the KMT Province Schools.

Fascinating

The classical 18 weapons are pretty ambiguous. Yang states that they change over the dynasties. I figure it's jsut more Chinese whispers. How would you characterize the 18 for KYC?

Also, what's ma ya la (horse tooth something?)

Thanks for posting this. It's awesome.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

NorthernShaolin

Thank you
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 09-23-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Gene,

La = translates as to cut in two, slash or mutilate.

Your right on the other two translation.

The weapon is a short metal serrated staff with a handle. The size is about the lenght of a sword. It is a heavy weapon with the serrated section from the tip to the handle and looks like wolf's teeth.

I really cannot guess what KYC's 18 weapons really were at this point except for the usual spear, saber, sword, staff, kwan do, Double hooks, two section staff, twin swords, monk spade, shovel, lance, cane, and two-side halberd. What about the snake spear and one-side halberd? Does the daggers, chain or triple staff count as part of the traditional 18? Again like you said about what Dr Yang said that it really depend on what dynasty we are referring to the 18 traditional weapons. For our purposes, I guess the most recent traditional 18 would most likely fit.

r.

Our horse actually varies from low stance to high. But the majority of our horse stances are of medium height and are shoulder length apart. (unlike the wide stances we observe in Wu Shu). When I was younger and started learning NSL, my sifu always told me to go lower in my stances. But as I got older, he stopped telling me so maybe he just gave up on me.

During the Sung it was recorded that
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 09-23-2008 at 09:48 PM.