Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lineage charts

Lightbulb public lin age/k tree

if anyone wants to track a lineage tree, there is one at Wah Nams website (do a search for wahnam here). Its still under construction, and hence not publicly viewable yet. But until the public can submit artists, styles to artist, or links - for now members can leave the information in the forums.

to submit artist;
    info: artist name, country

to submit a style;
    info: style name

to submit a link to tree;
    info: learner artist name, style name learnt from, teacher artist name

thanks for your help

What an interesting research

wou! It seems there are some differences in the lineages of KYCH Northern Shaolin, from GM Wong's information compared with Chan Kowk Wai's and Kwong Wing Lam's.
    It would be nice to make more research about the subject. My students went to China (GwangZhow) two times to train under Lai Kan Ching, who was KYCH direct students, I will see if they found some good info about this.
    As far as I know there are still alive TWO Ku yu Cheung students.
    It is sometimes said that Yim Sheung Mo was the highest student of him ¿can anyone corroborate this info?
    I will try to contact the NSL family in QwangZhow to ask for a lineage three.

Kind regards
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo
    Asociacion Kai Men Kung Fu -Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Formal Student of GM Chan Kowk Wai
    http://www.kaimen.com.ar

kai men,

I have heard statement such as YSW was Kuo's number one disciple and LTH was number two. However these statements only came from disciples of these two sifus. When conversing with YSW's and LTH's classmates, (like for example, Lai Kan Ching) their point of view will be different. They will not say directly that these two men were number one and number two respectfully, but they will state that YSW was very close to KYC.

One of the resons was because YSW was a few years older than KYC and could relate to everyday life. KYC respected YSW because YSW started learning a difficult style at a very late age of 40 years old. Another reason was that KYC was very impress on how hard YSW practiced everyday until he was exhasted. None of his classmates practiced as hard as YSW.

KYC also made a similar statement about LTH, who was 20 years younger than YSW, when he performed a set in front of KYC and Tam Sam that he made up consisting of NSL's and Choy Lay Fut's techniques. Both sifus complimented LTH's performance which was in an ear shot of witnesses.

We would all love to hear that our GGM were supermen but sometimes validation is difficult. But what the heck, their still our GGM and we love them anyway.

Excelent post

Dear NSL:
    Excellent post, I share the feelings. We all love our own teachers,
    with their virtues and weak zones.
    I have learnt a lot here, thanks, Thanks a lot
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo

Question about the Chao's

Hello,
    I noticed two masters with the Surname Chao were mentioned with a connectionto ChinWoo (Chao Lin Ho, Chao Chih Ho) Is there anyway to find out if they are blood relatives to Chao Jung Dao and Chao Yuh Feng?

I believe Chao Jung Doa taught Taiji Ruler at Chin Woo, and Chao Yuh Feng may have been his great nephew. I say may have been because I'm not sure of the reliability of my source. I know, or have been told Chao Yuh Feng was connected with Shanghi Chin Woo, and a Taiwanese branch as well.

I am assuming Chao Lin Ho and Chao Chih Ho were Bei Shaolin players?

Also, are there any living relatives of Chao Lin Ho, Chao Chih Ho, and if so, how would I reseach their family history. I am looking for a relation to Chao, Kuang Yin, the Emperor that founded the Sung dynasty.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

some news - for future investigation

Hi northernshaolin.
    Recently one of our older students from Chan Kowk Wai has travelled a city 250 km away from Henan Shaolin Temple. He could find a teacher who says he practices a style called "SHaolin Ten forms".
    The style has almost the same names in the forms, and it is said to have a lineage coming from Shaolin Temple until Yim Kai Yun (KYCH Teacher, I dont remember the mandarin name) and in the lineage chart, Ku Yu Cheung is included.
    I have only this info, but soon we will have more as my elder brother who lives in Beijing is commited by mi teacher to make more contacts with this people.
    As soon as I have more info I will post it to you. No doubt it is a very good news! May be in the near future we the Bak Siu Lam family will be able to make some comparisons between our present version and the before-kuyucheung version.
    Kindest regards
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo

Great and Exciting News

kaimen,

Wonderful!!! This is great and exciting news. I can hardly wait for more info from him.

questions question

Kaimen

This sounds terrific!
    Do you have a way of
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 09-23-2008 at 09:59 PM.

calm! :-)))

I am very sorry but what I ve told is about everything I know.
    At the moment my elder is in Brasil but soon he will return his home (Beijing) so he will continue his research, but remember, he is a worker, a family man, he is not someone comitted to only do research ;-)
    I have been told that they do only the ten forms, and that they eventually lost the iron palm and small golden bell training. They have been pushed by Shaolin Temple authorities to change their program but they have managed to keep training the ten forms.
    By the way, I dont recognize the names of the forms you mention (talking about the Bak Siu lam tradition). Some names seem to have slight changes (lohan...etc).
    I will keep you informed, this is too fresh...we all will have to be patient.
    Kindest regards
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo

Quote Originally Posted by kai men View Post
    I am very sorry but what I ve told is about everything I know.
    At the moment my elder is in Brasil but soon he will return his home (Beijing) so he will continue his research, but remember, he is a worker, a family man, he is not someone comitted to only do research ;-)
    I have been told that they do only the ten forms, and that they eventually lost the iron palm and small golden bell training. They have been pushed by Shaolin Temple authorities to change their program but they have managed to keep training the ten forms.
    By the way, I dont recognize the names of the forms you mention (talking about the Bak Siu lam tradition). Some names seem to have slight changes (lohan...etc).
    I will keep you informed, this is too fresh...we all will have to be patient.
    Kindest regards
    horacio
    What ever became of this? Any further news?

Wow - a half decade old thread retrieval!

I must commend you again on your fine research skills, Sal. Nice to see some of us still have a little long term memory after so many blows to the noggin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Greetings,

What has happened so far kai men? I had to edit my offer of a small donation for research when I realized that the Brazil branch of BSL was making connections. If there is still a need for funding I will stand by my oririnal offer of $100.00 to facillitate continued research. And no, I am not of BSL lineage.

Re: Breakdancing

There are two primary sources that influenced Breakdancing. One is Capoeria; the other gymnastics. Breakdancing looked much more combative than it does today. It had the punches, kicks, elbows, etc. Perhaps some of those combative movements were influenced by the movies. If you did a comparative between the sophistication of breakdancing back in the seventies and the available kung fu movies at the time, it would be difficult to find strong series of connectives. On the other hand, one would find very strong connectives with Capoeria and gymnastics.

mickey

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 03-02-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    if anyone wants to track a lineage tree, there is one at Wah Nams website
    http://wahnam.com.au/modules.php?op=...ories=Lin+Tree

spent a little time on this recently..