Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meditation Devices - What Do You Use ? (Pillows, Seats, Etc)

Meditation Devices - What Do You Use ? (Pillows, Seats, Etc)

There are a lot of meditation seats and pillows out there. Zafus, and wooden structures of sorts, you name it.

What do you use?

What have you used, and how did that compare to what you are currently using?

Have you found some seats, pillows, cushions to be more effective for posture and prolonged sitting then others. If so, why?

What is the brand of the products you use if they have such, and where can they be purchased?

Anything else?

Actually when i mainly do meditation it's after training hard qigong. In training i use 2 bricks, so i just sit down on those in the 1/2 lotus It's so my hips (dantian) are higher than my knees i think.

Also sometimes after training i take off my shoes and sit on those... i've never used a pillow or cushion or anything, sorry

I agree with guohuen though, different things can be donw anywhere, the main thing is good posture. Right now i'm sitting in a 1/2 lotus at the PC, sometimes i do mabu or zhan zhuang... it all depends on what i feel like and what i am doing

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

i just do full or half lotus on the floor or outside; works fine for me

dont need a pillow or anything fancy grass is comfy
    Travis

structure in motion

The reason I asked is because previously I have always done my meditation while levitating. I decided to see what sitting on something besides a "chi pillow" feels like, so I thought perhaps I could gain some "ground" (get it, ground?) from the forum members.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

laugh, i'd stick with the levitation if i were you

unless such a supernormal power is a hindrance to enlightenment of course

i've always thought it would be cool to meditate in a sensory deprivation chamber
    you could get one of those and try it
    Travis

structure in motion

Tjd,

I already have one. It's called the Mind. Vast and empty except for busy thinkers such as yourself. Maybe if you forget you had a mind, you wont have one to do all that thinking? Whaddya say, give it shot or what!?

Talking

Someone once told me that when I think I weaken the nation.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

my body does more thinking than my mind

feed me and sex me, it never stops

it should shut up already
    Travis

structure in motion

Cool Meditation

I have only practiced standing meditation. I have tried sitting but I am not as comfortable in sitting meditation than I am in standing meditation. In my humble opinion, I believe the chi flow is better in the standing position. Prior to meditation I use Mew Hing Jow. Makes me feel like I am "lifted". Ha, ha.

Peace.
    xiaotiema

meditation

I prefer a traditional zafu and zabuton. It was what I was trained on, and what works best for me. We have seatings for about a dozen in our home - my wife runs a yoga studio out of our home and we sometimes integrate the zafus for meditation.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

A friend of mine recently designed a revolutionary device (zafu) made from Indonesian mahogany with a natural pearl linen cover, laquered and the whole bit. It is truly amazing, coming from someone who has sat on just about every meditation device around (pillows, zafus, cushions, blocks, wooden meditation seats, chairs) ranging from cotton, to buckwheat to several others. They are custom made in the woodshop (not mass produced) and several fabric choices are available. They are actually brand "new" and not in production or available on the market anywhere.

It might be an item worth selling on martialartsmart, if you would like to give one a test run let me know.

Nexus

Thanks for the offer. Generally, MartialArtsMart prefers not to deal with single product vendors (and we have yet to move into conventional meditation props so a novel one would be a tough sell) but if you wish to solicit them, feel free to send me more info privately. Is Indonesian Mahogany an endagnered rainforest wood?

For me, I'll stick to my good old zafu and zabuton. It's just a personal preference, no more.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great Gene. Even if I am able to learn some information about dealing with the large vendor/merchants it will be of value.

Thanks.

Feel free to email me

I'm at Gene@KungfuMagazine.com. Email is more powerful then our PMs; We aren't limited to under a 1000...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

BrainTap

BrainTap’s headset promises mindful meditation in as little as 20 minutes
    By Brie Barbee — Posted on January 10, 2018 4:24 pm

When life really starts to get busy, it can be difficult to step away from it all and just relax. That’s where BrainTap Technologies comes in. For those people who don’t want to learn or train themselves to meditate, the new BrainTap headset is restful meditation done for you. Using a series of sounds and pulsing lights to distract your brain, BrainTap promises to be a shortcut to deep relaxation.

“If you get home and you’ve got a lot of noise around the house, you can’t really focus,” BrainTap Technologies’ Michael Porter told Digital Trends at CES 2018. “We can shut all that down … and you can get back about your life.”

The Bluetooth-enabled headset is equipped with an LED visor and headphones that help shut out the rest of the world. To use the device, simply load an audio file using the BrainTap app (or download one from their website), place the headset and visor over your head, and close your eyes.

Ten guided visualization sessions are included with the headset via the BrainTap app, and more than 700 audio sessions in 43 categories can be accessed via the on-demand library. Some of the programs are created to specifically help with stress relief, insomnia, and pain management.

Before long you will begin to feel more relaxed, which can lead to healthier sleeping habits and a better quality of life. The BrainTap Headset is available for purchase on BrainTap’s website for $547.
    Here's the unit from their site:

Looks like a cheap VR headset. VR meditation...now that's an amusing notion.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips