Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Went to a grappling class today...

Went to a grappling class today...

Let's just say I was humbled a bit. Looks like its time to learn what Hop Gar did not teach me.
    Zvika

Don't feel bad. I get humbled every time I grapple.

Congrats bud. I wish more people would do that. then we could end all of the misconceptions people have about fighting grapplers.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Grapplers are only sport fighters and everybody knows they wouldn't survive a second in a real street fight. And kung fu fighters would beat them in an instant with dim mak. And that's why kung fu doesn't fight in MMA, cos it's too deadly and all their techs are illegal. And all grapplers are steroid monkeys anyway.

Did I cover it all? Just wanted to get it out of the way.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Humble is a good place to be. I go into every class with the thought that I know nothing. As soon as you think you know something - you get smacked.

Stick with it!
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

That's cos you know nothing.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Exactly what style of grapplin' was it?

Thanks Serpie. You're a top bloke. And yes - I do know very little indeed and have never claimed otherwise.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Just yanking yer proverbial.

'Course, I probably know less than you!

{yawning at serpent}

Hop,

No shiznit sherlock, what did you think was going to happen when you go and play someone else's game? Did you try to out grapple a grappler? Did you at least TRY to use your kung fu? If you didn't, then whats the point?

HopGar

Congrats on your open mindedness,
    Nothing wrong with adding some ground fighting to your kung fu.

Don't listen to SifuAbel,he allways gets upset when he hears how kung fu guys were suprised to find grappling is a humbling experience.
    "You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

Actually, it was more enlightening in terms of new ways to of applying my kung fu.

And yes, SifuAbel, I did use my kung fu and the guy working with me found it really annoying when I was breaking his chokes and kind of pushing him back halfway and then punching him in the gut just to get him to back off a bit.

And as for the guys who bash styles, there was one guy who kept saying that my style did not make any sense and that he just sees a whole target when I punch, but I guess there is a bit of that everywhere.

Y'all have a good day, I'm off to eat then go to work.

Peace
    Zvika

hmmmm

Actually Knight/SifuAbel, I was not surprised I got killed, I was surprised how well I did and then I realized how little I knew. That's how it was humbling.

But anyhow, question for the grapplers. They were doing a wrist lock- I think it was called a kotagesh or something. My question is are you supposed to turn the guys hand/wrist so far that his pinky is facing him or just enough to cause pain. I also wanted to say that how would this work b/c everytime one ofd the guys tried this on me, I did not feel pain and was able to get out of that lock.

Any advice guys?
    Zvika

Pardon my ignorance but stating you are going to learn something from another style what your current style hasn't taught you when you have only been doing it for 2 years is sheer lunacy! You haven't even learned 2% of your style and you are already saying that it is not good enough? It would have been different if you did hop gar for ten years and realised that it wasn't enough but this is only 2 years and your only 17 years old.

Muchacha,munjai, aya and any other word that any sifu says. Look man you are just young. I see nothing wrong in losing but I see something wrong if you just want to change to something else when you don't even have a firm grasp with something that you already got.

If I were in your shoes I would have analised the strenghts and weakneses of the opponent and his style and I would have tried to improve on it and and go at it again.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 07-24-2002 at 01:47 PM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations