Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Martial Art Teaches This?

Question Which Martial Art Teaches This?

I am seeking to start trainng, I want to know which style of Martial Teaches teaches this...

All types of things, Anything you can think of, some are:

Striking, Kicking, Grappling, Punching, Pressure-points, Joint-locks(locking), throws, pins, health beneficials, healing, internal side too, just about anything...

I am 16yrs old, 6'2 1/2ft.tall and Skinny.

Thanks in Advance.

at advanced levels, most kung fu styles teach those.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sounds like kung fu to me. I know that sounds like a glib response, but all martial disciplines are included in kung fu. Some styles are very specific and contain only a few elements, most others emphasize certain elements and deemphasize others.

Most larger Chinese styles get around to each of the elements you mentioned sooner or later. However, most likely you will have to find multiple instructors to get thorough training in all of those disciplines. Even though some styles address all of those disciplines, most instructors do not.

Best regards,

Brent Carey

thanks

Thanks both of you.

Brent:

Which style of Kung-Fu would be those?
    Thank You
    ~Teachers open the door, but we must walk through by ourselves~

...but beware of the schools that advertise that they teach everything, where the head instructor can do superhuman feats, chi blasts, secret societies, anyone else care to add?
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Originally posted by sticky fingers
    ...but beware of the schools that advertise that they teach everything, where the head instructor can do superhuman feats, chi blasts, secret societies, anyone else care to add?
    That has to be the commercial schools!
    Thank You

Thumbs up

As a small person,i wonīt go into details of which style does what but instead some possibly filling thoughts.

Many styles or systems emphasize one (big,though) area,we often talk about "striking" arts and "grappling" arts.
    Karate or Taekwondo,I think,are great examples of "striking" arts,but grappling is included,may it be small or big (of course,this does not concern sport variations)
    Which have possibly chosen their own way of doing certain things,but fill a bit with some other things.It could be said that grappling in striking arts enchance their striking skills,and may go vice versa with grappling arts.Aikido,as another opposite example,uses lots of grappling but basically striking is included (or at least should be,which may not be the case in many modern schools) to break trough with grappling.

Naturally,this may "cut" people/practitioners in different classes.
    Some think you should be familiar with every single area to be "effective",while others keep polishing some certain areas like striking or grappling,and become very good with that.
    Naturally,becoming very good with even some areas like striking/kicking may take a lifetime,which I believe,is a worthy reason for a person to study it,mostly.

This is also linked to ying/yang.
    There are kung-fu styles (or those other styles mentioned previously) which emphasize lots of striking/kicking but I donīt think there are kung-fu styles which donīt do any chin-na (grappling).

Besides martial,also healing should be included at higher levels,as previously noticed.

This is it for now.
    Classic lines:I hope this helps.
    Peace.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by Former castleva
    As a small person,i wonīt go into details of which style does what but instead some possibly filling thoughts.

Many styles or systems emphasize one (big,though) area,we often talk about "striking" arts and "grappling" arts.
    Karate or Taekwondo,I think,are great examples of "striking" arts,but grappling is included,may it be small or big (of course,this does not concern sport variations)
    Which have possibly chosen their own way of doing certain things,but fill a bit with some other things.It could be said that grappling in striking arts enchance their striking skills,and may go vice versa with grappling arts.Aikido,as another opposite example,uses lots of grappling but basically striking is included (or at least should be,which may not be the case in many modern schools) to break trough with grappling.

Naturally,this may "cut" people/practitioners in different classes.
    Some think you should be familiar with every single area to be "effective",while others keep polishing some certain areas like striking or grappling,and become very good with that.
    Naturally,becoming very good with even some areas like striking/kicking may take a lifetime,which I believe,is a worthy reason for a person to study it,mostly.

This is also linked to ying/yang.
    There are kung-fu styles (or those other styles mentioned previously) which emphasize lots of striking/kicking but I donīt think there are kung-fu styles which donīt do any chin-na (grappling).

Besides martial,also healing should be included at higher levels,as previously noticed.

This is it for now.
    Classic lines:I hope this helps.
    Peace.
    I am opposite from Small, Opposite from Fat, Opposite from Big Muscles guys.
    Thank You

right! you're a beanpole ;-) same here, but shorter.

traditional/typical advice is to do a crane style, something that uses your height to advantage. don't know if you've got that where you are. crane uses particular footwork to avoid tangling with the gorrilla-types, and slices down people when it closes.

i do wing chun, a kind of crane, but close-in
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $

Originally posted by {i^(
    right! you're a beanpole ;-) same here, but shorter.

traditional/typical advice is to do a crane style, something that uses your height to advantage. don't know if you've got that where you are. crane uses particular footwork to avoid tangling with the gorrilla-types, and slices down people when it closes.

i do wing chun, a kind of crane, but close-in
    Yea, there is Shaolin LongFist, White Crane KungFu, WhiteCrane Silat.
    Thank You

11. Thumbs up

"I am opposite from Small, Opposite from Fat, Opposite from Big Muscles guys."

I would not be that concerned about that size issue.
    "The bigger they are the harder they fall,big,strong ones always beat weak ones,smaller ones are harder to shoot at battlefield..." These are some lines that you may hear in daily life.
    A tall person might have a long reach,and if he/sheīs even fit (thin) then shall he be able to have a long reach and quick approach.He may be taken down slightly easier as it may be hard for him to find his center/root.

At the end of the day,itīs not the external appearance,itīs the internal one.Good technique will never hurt,as a plus

If you go and take a look at a flier/poster of your local MA club or some basic information of an art or two...
    You may find these lines:"suitable for bla,bla,bla,any age,sex,size and condition".

Some strange way this "wishlist" of yours makes me think about hapkido.
    Sure it ainīt the only art with those qualities,it just pops up.

Take care.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Stacey Guest

Originally posted by Former castleva
    "I am opposite from Small, Opposite from Fat, Opposite from Big Muscles guys."

I would not be that concerned about that size issue.
    "The bigger they are the harder they fall,big,strong ones always beat weak ones,smaller ones are harder to shoot at battlefield..." These are some lines that you may hear in daily life.
    A tall person might have a long reach,and if he/sheīs even fit (thin) then shall he be able to have a long reach and quick approach.He may be taken down slightly easier as it may be hard for him to find his center/root.

At the end of the day,itīs not the external appearance,itīs the internal one.Good technique will never hurt,as a plus

If you go and take a look at a flier/poster of your local MA club or some basic information of an art or two...
    You may find these lines:"suitable for bla,bla,bla,any age,sex,size and condition".

Some strange way this "wishlist" of yours makes me think about hapkido.
    Sure it ainīt the only art with those qualities,it just pops up.

Take care.
    Thanks for your opinion
    Thank You

Originally posted by Stacey
    www.8step.com
    Not in my area.
    Thank You

Exactly what style of Kung Fu are your looking for. Living in NYC you pretty much have the choice to study anything you want, whether or not its Kung Fu. If you want Praying Mantis i know a half a dozen schools. I can point you to some internal stylings if you want or are you into Shaolin? Maybe Southern Kung Fu? Maybe not Kung Fu at all? Narrow your choice down, your criteria is pretty general and most styles will teach all of that to a certain extent even if its the smallest part of the cirriculum. This will make suggesting a style for you pretty hard. Did you surf the web for anything?