Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Martial Art Teaches This?

Originally posted by Leonidas
    Exactly what style of Kung Fu are your looking for. Living in NYC you pretty much have the choice to study anything you want, whether or not its Kung Fu. If you want Praying Mantis i know a half a dozen schools. I can point you to some internal stylings if you want or are you into Shaolin? Maybe Southern Kung Fu? Maybe not Kung Fu at all? Narrow your choice down, your criteria is pretty general and most styles will teach all of that to a certain extent even if its the smallest part of the cirriculum. This will make suggesting a style for you pretty hard. Did you surf the web for anything?
    I don't know what style of Kung-Fu or other style non-kung-fu i want.
    because I am a newbie, that's why I am asking to know which one suits what I'm looking for.
    Thank You
    ~Teachers open the door, but we must walk through by ourselves~

Question where in NYC?

if you're near Queens, go here:

wingchunnyc.com

(u won't be disappointed)
    In mildness is the strength of steel

Might i suggest Lama Pai to you then. If i was gonna study any style of Kung Fu it would be that (or maybe Shuai Chiao). Xingyiquan, Baguazhang and Tai Ji Quan definfitely have all that your looking for and then some. But you have to have extreme patience and dedication to eventually learn how to use it in a fight. Its a longer waiting period than with external styles but its worth the trouble.

Did you know that

New York, NY is for Manhattan, NY ?

Manhattan in NYC

Queens, ooh thuggish place, my cousins live there, been there a lot.
    I was going to train in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu in brooklyn for free, but it's too far... At Least 2hours or more to get there, 3hours of training which is excellent can't ask more than that, and at least 2 or more hours to come back home, the good thing is it was on Sunday, the bad thing is my mom rejected. She said no, parents always know what's best for their kids, I do what she tells me

by the way...
    Wing Chun is a southern style. it doesn't teaches much kicks, because it was created by a women, so she had more hand techniques needed than kicks.
    Last edited by ChinNa; 07-25-2002 at 12:45 PM.
    Thank You

Might i suggest Lama Pai to you then. If i was gonna study any style of Kung Fu it would be that (or maybe Shuai Chiao). Xingyiquan, Baguazhang and Tai Ji Quan definfitely have all that your looking for and then some. But you have to have extreme patience and dedication to eventually learn how to use it in a fight. Its a longer waiting period than with external styles but its worth the trouble.
    Thanks...

Ya. Internal styles needs more time & dedication than the EXTERNAL styles. or let's see
    Kung-Fu for external, Neijia KF for Internal right.

I live in NYC, do you think a 16yr old can be safe studying a martial arts that takes a lot of time to be taught combat or let's say self-defense?
    I am not sure, so I wouldn't comment.
    Thank You

If your that worried about getting your ass kicked maybe you should find a nice style of kickboxing, San Shou or Muay Thai perhaps. Dont expect to learn how to fight with a style that teaches forms (like Kung Fu) for atleast 6 months to 2 years. Dont choose a style based on the fact that you might get in a fight tomorrow. You might get hit by a car tomorrow or you could die in your sleep tonight. Choose something that you'll enjoy doing. Learning how to fight is important but you shouldn't rush it because of paranoia.

If your that worried about getting your ass kicked maybe you should find a nice style of kickboxing, San Shou or Muay Thai perhaps. Dont expect to learn how to fight with a style that teaches forms (like Kung Fu) for atleast 6 months to 2 years. Dont choose a style based on the fact that you might get in a fight tomorrow. You might get hit by a car tomorrow or you could die in your sleep tonight. Choose something that you'll enjoy doing. Learning how to fight is important but you shouldn't rush it because of paranoia.
    Kickboxing, San Shou, Muay THai doesn't interested me

I don't look for fights, infact I haven't had a fight since I was in the 9th grade, I am going to the 11th grade now, my last fight was with a trouble maker 6'1ft.tall, I was 5'10, thanks god I haven't gotten hit in a fight, this time I caught him while he was looking the other way, hit him in his jaws, he got dissy, and started running. I want to be prepare for the unexpected.

Let's make this... people who go into the martial arts is because they want to learn self-defense, combat, or how to fight. most that go into taichi are for the healt benefits, some are for other benefits too.

I at first was into Martial Arts because of the fighting, without fighting is not a martial art, there is nothing bad with that. You are not learning Martial Arts to go and attack inoccent people.

Martial Arts is invented so people can learn how to protect theirself and loveones. I would protect myself, family when I can, and people out in the streets who are inocent.

Ya. Karate teaches kata's too, but they use that move from the kata to block or hit, they do examples of what you can use that move for. I don't like Karate though. I had taken Karate Shotokan when i was 11yrs old for 3months (yellow belt).
    Thank You

I think you should read up on this since your a newbie and you have no idea what your looking for?

Go here: www.dmoz.com/Sports/Martial_Arts

Its a huge directory. Get alittle more info and get back to me. I'll help you find a school for sure.
    Last edited by Leonidas; 07-25-2002 at 02:00 PM.

I think you should read up on this since your a newbie and you have no idea what your looking for?

Go here: www.dmoz.com/Sports/Martial_Arts

Its a huge directory. Get alittle more info and get back to me. I'll help you find a school for sure.
    Thanks...

How do i know what to look for?
    Thank You

Oh right, you need general sites. I got sh!t else to do, hold on, i'll post some. Gimme an hour.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

did you look at the thread on 'long fist sparring'? its in the general forum. in there, brent (an instructor) is talking about it:

---------------------------------------
    "The techniques you are learning in your forms ARE directly applicable to combat WITHOUT modification, provided:

a) you are learning good Long Fist kung fu,
    b) your teacher is accurately conveying techniques,
    c) you are doing them correctly.

However, here's the catch (actually there are two catches). Before you can use them in combat, either your instructor needs to show you the combat applications, or you need to figure them out on your own - both are valid. Then, comes catch #2.

You must train your forms with the application(s) in mind. It takes a long time to train your body, eye, and mind to be able to use these techniques in combat as per form."

--------------------------------------------
    thats good advice for any style: good lineage, good/informed instructor, doing it right over time. he makes the point that KF for tourneys isn't really good, but for self-defense and war, its the best. not a bad observation.

i think you'll have to visit schools, see whats comfortable and right for you. the VERY best advice is this: sh*t or get off the pot. don't dream it, be it. choose and GO. you won't be unhappy with it.

no offense intended, BTW. just saying, don't worry so much- you'll get the hang of it.
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $

Oh right, you need general sites. I got sh!t else to do, hold on, i'll post some. Gimme an hour.
    Thanks.
    Thank You

Originally posted by {i^(
    did you look at the thread on 'long fist sparring'? its in the general forum. in there, brent (an instructor) is talking about it:

---------------------------------------
    "The techniques you are learning in your forms ARE directly applicable to combat WITHOUT modification, provided:

a) you are learning good Long Fist kung fu,
    b) your teacher is accurately conveying techniques,
    c) you are doing them correctly.

However, here's the catch (actually there are two catches). Before you can use them in combat, either your instructor needs to show you the combat applications, or you need to figure them out on your own - both are valid. Then, comes catch #2.

You must train your forms with the application(s) in mind. It takes a long time to train your body, eye, and mind to be able to use these techniques in combat as per form."

--------------------------------------------
    thats good advice for any style: good lineage, good/informed instructor, doing it right over time. he makes the point that KF for tourneys isn't really good, but for self-defense and war, its the best. not a bad observation.

i think you'll have to visit schools, see whats comfortable and right for you. the VERY best advice is this: sh*t or get off the pot. don't dream it, be it. choose and GO. you won't be unhappy with it.

no offense intended, BTW. just saying, don't worry so much- you'll get the hang of it.
    Thanks, for the welcome

So you say Tournaments are no problem?
    But there are rules in Tourneys, no Rules in a real situation or fight?
    no matter who you are, old, young, black, white, no rules in a fight.
    Thank You

nope

BRENT was saying that tournaments CAN be a problem. other arts seem better geared for that, if thats what your flavor is. (and hey, trophies, belts, and grrls- that ain't bad).

but if your after some mean kinda stuff, a lot of kung fu's got it. his warning was that you need to find a good/qualified/informed/generous instructor. sometimes you've just got to be patient though. and remember- he also said that figuring it out for yourself is jake too.

having done this for awhile (but no expert, thanx!), i kind of see his point.

and yes! welcome to KF. a great world.
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $

Re: nope

Originally posted by {i^(
    BRENT was saying that tournaments CAN be a problem. other arts seem better geared for that, if thats what your flavor is. (and hey, trophies, belts, and grrls- that ain't bad).

but if your after some mean kinda stuff, a lot of kung fu's got it. his warning was that you need to find a good/qualified/informed/generous instructor. sometimes you've just got to be patient though. and remember- he also said that figuring it out for yourself is jake too.

having done this for awhile (but no expert, thanx!), i kind of see his point.

and yes! welcome to KF. a great world.
    Thanks...
    So yea i was just curious, hearing a person say Kung-Fu would be good to go to tournaments.
    If he said no, I agree to because, tourneys are rules,
    Thank You