Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Martial Art Teaches This?

Thanks
    Thank You
    ~Teachers open the door, but we must walk through by ourselves~

Re: thanks

Originally posted by ChinNa
    Brent: Which style of Kung-Fu would be those?
    <chuckling>

You know, I'm the wrong person to ask. I have a pretty eclectic background, and when I see a technique or principle, I usually don't ask which style it came from.

Most people will disagree with me, but I consider Long Fist to be pretty complete. This is easy to say because Long Fist (like most Chinese styles) is pretty loosely defined. Point to just about any technique, and I can say "Yeah, Long Fist has that." Well, most Long Fist practitioners focus on long range punches and kicks.

However, just about every practitioner I have met (that has been around for a while) augments his/her art with Chin Na, and a certain amount of ground work. Chi Kung (another loosely define entity) is pretty much standard with most Chinese styles to some degree.

My advice to anyone that doesn't know specifically what they are looking for would do well to take up Long Fist. Long Fist is not for everyone, but at least it should give you a broad exposure and a solid foundation. I especially recommend it to tall people.

By the way, if you want to learn something quickly avoid the broader styles.

And yes, with regards to tournaments, decide if you want to compete or learn real self-defense. These goals are NOT mutually exclusive, but the are also NOT the same. This is important when looking for a teacher. Some teachers can teach you to compete, but don't really know the first thing about real self-defense. Other instructors (like me) can teach you how to end an attack with utter resolve, but couldn't teach you anything about competition. Most teachers will tell you they can do both, but most can't. This doesn't make them liars, just a little misinformed about one discipline or the other.

Best regards,

-Brent

True.

I don't want to train competition or sport art.
    I don't have time to train in another sport, I have my sport and that is Basketball all the way nothing more, nothing less.

I want to train in a martial arts that is not a sport.
    because martial arts that go to tourneys i think isn't really teaching kung-fu.
    Thank You
    ~Teachers open the door, but we must walk through by ourselves~