Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The good grappler: tired of this ultimate fighter

Thumbs up Merryprankster

Good post.

If your training/system does not cover the 4 basic fighting ranges - kicking, punching, trapping and grappling - your going to eat it when the BJJ or wrestler grapples you and takes you down or when the TKD guy kicks you or the boxer punches you.

"Just thought I'd let you all know that I found the good grappler, and I asked him how he's able to avoid all those attacks, and while he was thinking, I shot him. "

LMAO!! I don't know why this struck me so funny.... I guess I kinda pictured "KC" in this story as the hand to hand instructor in the Monty Python sketch who keeps talking about fighting fruit, and then shoots one of his students!

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

sifu Abel: indeed, in a streetfight there is only one certainty: nothing is for sure...
    but then again, the good grappler would...oh well...LOL
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Wow. At least nobody feels insecure. lol!

SifuAbel--

Exactly--I doubt anybody who is just trying to "strike and maneuver" his way out of a takedown will meet with much success. I prefer the term "stand-up" fighter--it means you know how to stay on your feet--not just fight on them
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I don't know ma' bro. Stand up fighter conjures up images of boxers on stilks. I prefer "strategic striker" although it seem s too long. How about "Kung fu man" I think that won't wash with this crowd.
    Why did I say that last thing? Because, at least in the styles I do, we don't walk straight into a guy with legs locked ala the guy from the video.

"we don't walk straight into a guy with legs locked ala the guy from the video."

i'm with able. my sifu might not be the best kf man in the states, but none of us would have fought like that ... . regardless of the actual outcome.
    where's my beer?

Originally posted by NorthernMantis

MA Fanatic was claiming that eye gouges don't work for kung fu guys but a grappler can,yeah right like a grappler trains at hitting faster like a striker. What a lie. Let me guess only grapplers can do high kicks because they know how to grapple right? Grapplers arent the end all beall of fighting.
    This thread is fuggin hilarious! However, I had to respond to this quote... There is a reason that ma fanatic said that... when you see stand up fighters practicing an eye gouge, what do the do? try to strike their MOVING, RESISTING, UNRESTRAINED oppoonent in the eyes. A grappler would make sure his opponent was on the ground and restrained. Naturally, a restrained opponent is easier to eye gouge than one that's moving freely.

Now, back to the topic, did you know that a good grappler can do a chi blast?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

The good grappler comes out mostly at night....mostly...
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Seven, of course, this is notorious...Once, I asked a secret sifu in the emei mountain to show me dim mak to teach these UFC guys a lesson...he then looked at me with a puzzled and scared look and told me "no, you don't want to do that if you like life: a good grappler knows dim mak better than you ever could".
    **** these good grapplers!!!!
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

I didn't read the whole thread, but meh. Not that I am taking any sides ( I get mad at any side using theories like that) but I see problem with some of the grappling responses. A)If it is admitted that a human that trains in any specific area become more skilled in that area and thus better able to protect himself in that particular area he trains in (area not as in part or position of body, but area as in technique or what not he trains in) , and if the grappler is skilled in getter away from eye attacks, does he train in defending those? Because I have seen no grappler who trains in how to protect against a friggin finger in the eye (other than response time) or many other of that theory crap brought up. Not that I defend alot of that crap but meh, I just wanna ramble. I need some marshmellows. Beer, where is my beer.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'