Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me this is a joke

Angry Please tell me this is a joke

Who can we sue next?
    God for making the rock that I tripped over?

Fast-food makers sued
    By Robert Lusetich
    July 27, 2002

THIS could be the mother of all class actions. A group of obese Americans is taking on the fast-food giants, claiming they knowingly served products which made them overweight and damaged their health.

Taking his lead from the successful litigation of tobacco companies over the past decade, Washington lawyer Samuel Hirsch has filed a lawsuit against McDonald's, Wendy's, KFC and Burger King alleging they, and not their customers, are responsible for the consequences of consuming fatty foods.

The latest estimate is that a third of American adults are technically obese.

Among those Mr Hirsch represents is Caesar Barber, a 125kg 56-year-old maintenance supervisor from New York, who alleges his array of illnesses were caused by an "addiction" to fast food, which he consumed four or five times a week, for years.

"My doctor said it was killing me and I don't want to die," Mr Barber said, claiming he ate the food "out of necessity", although he stopped in 1996 because his health was deteriorating.

"I ate it more often than not because I was single," he said.

"It was quick and I'm not a very good cook. I always thought it was good for you. I never thought there was anything wrong with it."

Mr Hirsch accuses the fast- food companies of "irresponsible and deceptive behaviour" for not supplying proper nutritional information or offering enough healthy alternatives.

He alleges also a "de facto addiction" for the poor and children.

"You don't need nicotine or an illegal drug to create an addiction, they're creating a craving," Hirsch said.

"I think we'll find that the fast-food industry has not been totally upfront with their customers."

The reference to nicotine is by no means coincidental. Many of the legal forces behind the decades-long war on tobacco -- won in the '90s when the big tobacco companies made multi-billion dollar settlements with governments -- have been mulling a similar attack on fast food to pay for the health consequences of obesity.

Kelly Brownell, head of the Yale Centre for Eating and Weight Disorders, who has advocated taxing fatty foods and subsidising healthy foods said recently that he saw "no difference between Ronald McDonald and Joe Camel".

"We have to start thinking of this in a more militant way," he said.

The National Restaurant Association is preparing to fight, calling the lawsuit "senseless, baseless and ridiculous ... a nationwide ambulance chase against the restaurant industry in response to hysteria over the nation's expanding waistline".
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Thats like saying, "Las Vegas took all my money" No, you gambled it away.
    Waves roughen the sea and windmill turn because of the wind. Take away the wind and the sea becomes calm and the windmills come to rest. For every effect there is a cause.

You convinced me. Thats the worst sue ive seen so far.

Sadly, given the precidents of the various cigarrette cases, there is actually a pretty good chance that this guy will win. The cases are quite analogous in many respects.

Not that I agree that it will be a good thing. But, the way the legal system works is that if you have an analogous precident then you have already gone a long way towards winning.

Talking Thats the worst sue ive seen so far.

You haven't met my ex!

(sorry- had to do it)
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $

I would sue the makers of low-fat cookbooks too because the books they publish do not have pages that can easily be turned by people with really fat fingers.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Re: Please tell me this is a joke

Originally posted by sticky fingers
    I always thought it was good for you. I never thought there was anything wrong with it.
    That has got to be the funniest excuse i've heard in a long time. Just for saying something like that i wouldn't feel sorry for him if every artery in his heart was clogged. What a fat loser.

I'm going to sue Garelick farms because I'm lactose intolerant and they made me sh1t everywhere!
    Waves roughen the sea and windmill turn because of the wind. Take away the wind and the sea becomes calm and the windmills come to rest. For every effect there is a cause.

This is just part of the ever-continuing trend that ensures stupid people do not have to be responsible for their own actions.

I think I might sue my school teachers for not making me smart enough to have earned millions of $$$ by now. Those b@stards!
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Unhappy

My wife and I went to a popular fast food restaurant for the first time in ages(disclaimer, I go through the drive through every couple of months ), and we were astounded. I don't know how to say it politely. It was like a whale watch. It was a busy friday evening and the place was busy. I looked around and could only find two adults that weren't overweight. Easily 80 percent of the people over the age of twelve were grotesquely obese. I can't fault the restaurant for this. No one was forcing these people to buy and eat the SUPERSIZE fries that most of then had. A lot of these people were almost as wide as they were tall. Very sad.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

One point that you folks are missing, and maybe the lawsuit is missing it to, is that a lot of fast foods have certain chemicals added to them (e.g., sodium guanylate and sodium inosinate). These chemicals are listed as flavor enhancers, but they are actually appetite stimulants. Slipping drugs into the food is uncool in my book.

To argue that they use deceptive practices because they are serving high-fat foods is ridiculous. Last time I checked, restaurants weren't expected to host nutritional education lectures or anything like that.

Now, if they can find documentation proving that the food industry knew long ago and suppressed information about the health risks of hydrogenated fats, then maybe there's a worthwhile case.

Angry

This is just another example of how little personal responsibility exists in American society today. It is never my fault. It is someone else's/society's fault that I'm fat/have cancer from smoking/kill people... You know whose fault it is? Yours.

These are the type of people that really and truly tick me off. If they took their snouts from the trough occasionally, they'd realize that their obesity is their own fault. Put down the chocolate smeared remote control and take a walk around the block for Christ's sake.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Originally posted by PLCrane
    One point that you folks are missing, and maybe the lawsuit is missing it to, is that a lot of fast foods have certain chemicals added to them (e.g., sodium guanylate and sodium inosinate). These chemicals are listed as flavor enhancers, but they are actually appetite stimulants. Slipping drugs into the food is uncool in my book.
    Oh so you noticed too that they're putting crack in the burgers? I always wondered what that Sh!t was that destroys your stomach and that you keep burping up afterward. IMO, it is an addictive chemical (why else would you crave a sh!tburger) and the restaurants (I use that term loosely) have not publicized this in any way. They should be sued, they really should be put out of business. Burnt to the ground. It is a case of lack of truth in advertising. You don't see any big signs at the local Mickey D's saying "addictive chemicals have been added to our food." I have thought for a long time that they were putting crack in the burgers, but I never knew exactly what. F'uck all those fast-food places, and no, the lawsuit is not frivolous, although the basis stated may be incorrect.
    Pardon my language.
    -FJ

I truly doubt that fast food restaurants are making their food addictive. If the food was addictive I think I might have had withdrawal symptoms when I stopped eating that stuff 10 years ago. I don't recall any. As a matter of fact on a recent road trip I, unfortunately, got some food from Burger King as it was quick and my brother and I could eat it as we drove. I don't recall having any cravings for the food afterwards.

Simply put, calling the food addictive is a cop out. In this day and age everything is called addictive as no one wants to take responsibility for his or her actions. The restaurants are complicit in the fact that the food they serve is fattening. However, if a person realized that and still ate it, their obesity and (potential) heart disease is their own fault.

People need to face facts. The problem is not McDonald's or Wendy's etc. You are fat due to your own weakness. Blaming someone else does not fix the problem. It just further infantalizes our society.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Hai To,

I'm not fat. Not even close. I'm just repeating what I heard from someone who used to work in the food manufacturing industry (yes, food comes from factories). There's tons of research that we'll never see, because it's proprietary information.

Same guy also said that aspartame is an appetite stimulant, and a study was done in which they fed one group of rats the equivalent of hamburger, french fries and milk shake, and the other group hamburger, french fries and diet soda with aspartame. The diet soda group gained more weight.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine who's in the distribution end of some of these factory foods. He was giving me a taste of some new product, which contained guanylate and inosinate. His response was, "Good. That means people will eat more and buy more of my product."

Food manufacturing is all about deception. Chemists work hard at making things appear to be what they are not. Nobody should be surprised that they would add a chemical that makes you want to eat and call that chemical a "flavor enhancer". I never heard that it was addictive, just that it stimulates eating.