Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Praying Mantis

Question Southern Praying Mantis

What is Southern Praying Mantis's approach to dealing with grapplers such as seen in the UFC type bouts/BJJers, etc.?

I know this type of question is probably quite hackneyed with respect to the ongoing dialogue/debate on this site, but it is a serious question and I'm sure many exponents have an intelligent answer.

My guess would be short-range mantis-hand attacks, punches and elbows. No seriously, I have no idea. The only way to know what they would do is to learn the style and then fight a BJJ guy.

You could ask a teacher of s. mantis what he would do, but you could get a very wide range of answers for that.

I wish there was a southern mantis school in Massachusetts.
    Waves roughen the sea and windmill turn because of the wind. Take away the wind and the sea becomes calm and the windmills come to rest. For every effect there is a cause.

Top flight folks wont tell you what they would do. Really top flight spm folks are few and they are generally not the talkative type.
    They generally dont care what others think.

Limb Destruction

Well no one can grapple with you if you attack there limbs at the same time the throat!

I havent seen any spm do ground fighting yet, but i do know they have stand up locks and throws that do take down. This is a good question!

FT

At my school we train against takedowns by using various evasive, yeilding manouvres to gain an advantageous position. Then we will generally attack the head, neck or upper back (assuming a head down shoot) with downward strikes or throw/lock depending on attack etc.
    Last edited by TaoBoy; 07-28-2002 at 07:41 PM.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

I think they would do it by 'defanging the head.'
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Having experience training in southern mantis, it would not do well against BJJ. Mantis is way too sluggish in the footwork to avoid being taken to the ground.

Some one mentioned about attacking the limbs and throat. Don't forget you're dealing with a moving target and its not that easy to score a clean hit against a BJJ let alone aiming for the throat. As for going for the limbs - the BJJ guy would just smother the mantis and take him to the ground.

There is absolutely nothing in the range of techniques in southern mantis to deal with ground fighting. Don't forget, the BJJ guy can also strike and have more body behind those hits.

Like I said before, southern mantis is a type of peasant kung fu and was practiced by people with out much exposure to serious fighting. Farmers toil their fields all day. they'll be too tired to fight when the day is done.

Question Who took your money, Ego??

Hey Ego!

Mantis footwork is fast, fluid and very evasive.

Lum Sang was called 'Monkey" because of his superior footwork.
    Few could catch him and he could strike with power while moving.

Who was it that took your money and showed you nothing?

Good question for all fighting styles

This is a good question for all fighting styles. If the grappler has size, strength, and technique, then once they get you down on the ground, you're only chance would be for a fast and extreme maneuver that would cause massive pain or massive damage (such as gouging the eyes). You would have to think your life was in danger. The best option is to keep on your feet (better said than done).

You probably would only have time for one act. The head is probably the best target since they come in head first and it's exposed. If you have a heavy punch and can hit the head (which is a moving target, makes it harder) with alot of force, that should send the grappler at least out of balance. That should give you time for another action.

Of course theory and practice are two different things. But practicing by punching a low-mid moving target would help.

Grappler

A grappler has to have his head in a vulnerable position for a takedown,
    so no need to strike the back of the coconut, put your hands out (any good
    SPM'er ALWAYS has thier hands out) and take his eyes right out of his head.

Grapplers NEVER prepare for this.

"The Guard" may help a grappler from being struck hard, but it won't prevent
    them from losing an eye (or two!). But since such techniques would decimate the
    ranks of grapplers, they don't train against it, nor encourage it.

Its amazing that in UFC type events a fellow "in the guard" is not smashing away
    with elbows or using "gow choi" hammer blows. But them, "short range" power
    is not trained by grappers, but IS by SPM'ers!

One final note: SPM is not for "sport" its for killing. Anyone "teaching" SPM
    for "health benefits and stress reduction" is a FRAUD.

11. Ego is helping SPM explain itself to those who do not know just as recently he did with Choy-Lay-Fut and other styles. Ego is the friend of Southern Kung-Fu. SPM is of course not a style but a generic term for many systems and styles which taken together can be very different. Ego has helped by highlighting the fact that whatever his experience of SPM was it could have been no more than partial. He helps too by showing how generalizing from specific instances is a stupid thing. Ego is a delightfully helpful member of this forum and the best of friends to Southern Kung-Fu

Tao
    www.tibetankungfu.com

Question for T-Y-L

Was Socrates a striker or a grappler?

Well said Ego...your thoughtful, educated points are so very valuable. However, in your attempt to troll this post you forgot to mention:

a) how wonderful you are
    b) how devasting your chosen MA is
    c) how amazingly big your **** is

Thanks for your contribution.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Talking Helllooooooo EGO!!!!!!

" Having experience training in southern mantis,..."

UNDER WHO????

AND FOR HOW LONG?????

Come on, Ego, be a good "TrollBoy" and fess up!

SPM's pole

What are the concepts of 3 and 1/2 pole in SPM(Chu Gar Tong Long)?