Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Praying Mantis

Ego-"Farmers toil their fields all day. they'll be too tired to fight when the day is done."

During the battle of Waterloo when the Brit/Dutch-Anglo center
    started to collaspe under the weight of the French attacks and all hope seemed lost the Commander of one of the Scott's units
    approched the Commander of the Brit/Anglo Army(The Duke of Wellington) and said..........

Good beans to you me lord!

The Duke,being the gentleman he was, replyed,

"I know nothing what so ever about agriculture"

Well Ego,I've been tired today so I'm with the Duke,other things
    keep me busy.

Ego may be a troll at times but I think he's on my side and alot of others(not his southern bashing) when it comes to pulling together as a nation,kados to you Ego.

Now back to the subject.

jonlucas-welcome to the forum/jungle!

We may have the same Sifu,look at my profile,if we do have the same Sifu listen up.

"you're only chance would be for a fast and extreme maneuver that would cause massive pain or massive damage (such as gouging the eyes)."

If we are of the same system and Sifu(SPM is close to mine/ours?)
    then listen up,I used "Nine-Step-Push" against a BJJ guy many years ago on the ground,if you know NSP well it works on the ground,but the most IMPORTANT thing when you're on the ground is your state of mind,you have to accept the cold hard fact that you're going to die if you don't use your tools.
    My motivation was my children,it clicked and came together,he went to the hospital(eyedamage,almost popped one) and I went home with a cracked elbow.

So train,train.......

Hey hey we're the monkies

Bong,

This is so retro! Lum Sang was called a monkey because although he tried to fight seriously people though he was just fooling around.

Chow Yuan-Lung's students

Chu Gar Praying Mantis master Chow Yuan Lung.

Are they any Chow's students on this broad?

hey r-t ,what wrong with you????hahahaha
    seems like you too have come out of hiding no att.poor little soul hows jesus doing?

Sui-XXX?

Are you that Bak Mei Sui-XXX?

Considering the wolf at the door....hahaha!!!

are you now ba-gau?
    hahahahaha

many dougnuts

Battleing a grappler

I am an instructor/ student of Tai liu chuan fa southern eagle and mantis. The system I train also cross trains is kick boxing, kempo, jiu jitsu. We always teach that it is not always best to fight what you are good at at(ie stand up, ground) but what your opponent is bad at. If hes a grappler keep the fight stand up. The only problem is that in a UFC type match a lot of true mantis techniques will be disallowed, as the southern mantis I train is lethal, it is meant for true life and death self defence. In a street situation against a grappler, I would break his knees first, with low kicks, then fingers to the eyes, the throat is atarget on the street but that could land you in court, or worse. True mantis techniques are not legal in any sporting event I have competed in . And my club is both traditional and non traditional. I have fought kick boxing bouts, and some fellow students have fought No holds barred fights. The mantis is to mean for a sporting event.
    At least thats my thoughts.
    sifu shawn

sifu shawn

how do you know what the opponent is bad or good at on the street?

It is all good when you have a bout because you know the school they are from so u get an idea of the fighting art they do.

thanks
    FT

"how do you know what the opponent is bad or good at on the street?"

Use the force Luke,I am your FATHER............

Pump a .45 Hydroshock round through his kneecap,that really messes up thier foot work,then take it from there.

good question

Good question. Thats the reason for cross training. First of all so you can intelligently defend yourself against either or. You will either get your but kicked on the street or you will not. Once you can fight both a standup or a ground fighter, you will reaqct accordingly . However the original question is almost mute because true manits techniques are not allowed in a sport environment anyway. And hopefully if you you are in a street confrontation you will be able to evaluate the fight situation in a hurry. If you have ever been in a street confrontation you know it does happen fast, you survive and react to the situation, or you get hurt. end of story. The situation dictates the response, if you are still thinking your way through the fight to much, you are probably in trouble no matter what the situation. There is a big difference between Martail Arts in a self defence situation and a sport event
    Sifu shawn

Ft,
    It's obvious how to tell what the person is good at, just have a look at their knees!
    I've heard that all TKF guys have very dirty knees, this i'm sure means that they are all excellent grapplers, not just good head givers!

Shawn,
    What is this "Tai liu chuan fa southern eagle and mantis" all about then?
    Do you have lineage within SPM & Eagle Claw, or is it just more kempo stuff from your CEO?

Colin............

London lau Gar Kuen
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

on their knees

Colin,

Southern Kung fu is good on their knees, begging for mercy at the best of times.

don't you all agree that you have dirty knees.

Ego

Na..Not really, but I heard people from jersey like to get their knees dirty.

Buby

Dirty Knees

Buby

There isn't any grappling in southern kung fu. It is like karate and not very mobile.

Ego

Sorry man, but I beg to differ. Well actually I can't speak for every southern system out there(I can only speak for YKM), but in YKM we have lots of footwork and we're nothing like karate (no disrespect intended).

"not very mobil/karateish" - At times its just the exponents interpretation of the art and not the art itself.

Take care,
    Buby