Thread: Shin massaging

Shin massaging

I have heard that after a conditioning session you should massage the area that you worked, in my case the shins. Why is this? Does it help get rid of bruises quicker? I wanna start doing more conditioning but don't want to do it to the extent that I can't train effectively at the school. You know what I mean?

I'm kind of looking for ways to heal quicker from conditioning drills. So far I've been told massage and lotsa vitamin c help alot.

(As far as I'm aware) The principle of massage is that it increases blood flow to the damaged area which speeds up healing, and also prevents (and works away) clots.

Hot & Cold compresses work well (3min each, repeating for 20min+, (disposable icecube bags work really for this: 1 in the freezer & 1 in the Microwave.)).

Cold reduces any swelling and pain and the hot increases blood flow as above.

Hot and Cold therapy = good.

Hand massage = good.

Asprin therapy = good.

Dit da jow or otherwise = good.

All things that can increase/speed up "healing".

Of course, even if it doesnt hurt/bruise, you could possibly be "healing" in a specific area, so try not to over due things . Only you know how much you have done, so monitor yourself carefully for damage.

Dunno about the vitamin c.
    Of course, diet and nutrition play a huge role in everything you do, and are areas you should not neglect as a martial artist.
    strike!

Ice is nice

When you've done something that will lead to bruising, the best approach is to ice it and take an anti-inflamitory drug (asprin or advil). That way you stop the swelling early. You will shave two or three days off the healing time if you can reduce swelling right away.

I normally ice and advil the first day. Ice the second day. And then I just let it heal with some gentle massage after four or five days or so. Once the bruise turns green/yellow it is safe to use heat (the tissue is mostly healed, just some old blood needs to get flushed from the area).

JUST BE WARNED: massage and heat immediately following the injury will make it much worse! You will further damage the area by not the existing tissues to knit (massage) and increasing swelling (heat).

By the way, the same treatment for bruises works for a back problem. The very best thing you can do is ice the area. It reduces pain, reduce the muscle spasm, and stops inflamation.

I wish someone told me all of this years ago. I hope it is useful info for somebody!

-crumble
    Last edited by crumble; 07-29-2002 at 11:07 AM.

If you're brusing a lot, you're probably conditioning too hard or trying to go too fast. An occasional bruise is ok, but your goal should not be to get bruised. When you are bruised, you can't train that part until it has healed, so why would you want to bruise? Progress slowly.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Go easy on the aspirin, that stuff will rot your gut. Lots of massage and lots of dit da jow. Works for me.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Useful site

If you're gonna do a lot of training in various areas, try www.sportsinjuryclinic.net
    for info on whats going on in there and what to do about it if it goes wrong. (no, i don't work for them.)
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $

article there

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...rtsmassage.htm

is about massage...its from a parent article on recovering from marathons, which is very good, if you like pushing yourself to collapse....
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $

pass on the aspirin
    Last edited by Justa Man; 07-30-2002 at 11:29 AM.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Thanks Guys

Some bruises come from bag work and I am pacing myself at it. Most of the bruises come from sparring, shin to shin contact etc.

I guess the main thing is I'm just gonna have to start icing my shins when I get home etc. And doing the massaging as well.

On asprin, I can't take the stuff any way. I'm epeleptic(not medicated anymore) but the doc said to stray away from it. Will acetametaphin work(like tylenol)?

Ah Ironfist, I was just trying to be like the old thai masters ya know. Break my shin bone so it'll grow back thicker etc. *joking*

Re: Thanks Guys

Originally posted by Kungfu boy
    I guess the main thing is I'm just gonna have to start icing my shins when I get home etc. And doing the massaging as well.

On asprin, I can't take the stuff any way. I'm epeleptic(not medicated anymore) but the doc said to stray away from it. Will acetametaphin work(like tylenol)?
    When I come home I just put on the ice packs as a preventative measure. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are going to bruise or not. I recommend getting the re-freezable gel packs and an ace bandage. The gel packs stay somewhat soft, even when frozen, and the ace bandage allows you to wrap the gel pack exactly where you want it.

Dude, don't massage it right away! Massage is good for sore muscles but not torn tissue.

And using ibuprofin (advil) will give you the same inflamation reduction as asprin without rotting up your stomach.

-crumble

Stay away from the anti-inflammatory drugs. Use some good dit da or find a pre-packaged herbal bruise cream. Arnica can be good and there are heaps of Chinese remedies available.

Massage is good for bruising as it increases the qi and blood flow to the area. Bruises are caused by stagnation of blood - this means blockage - blockage is bad. The herbal treatments generally increase the blood flow and/or 'draw' the blockage (read bruise) out. And remember just because you can't see a bruise form the surface doesn't mean you are not bruised internally.

We all get bruises from training - but if you are bruising all the time - reassess your methods.

And finally, if your injury is more that just a bruise massage may not be the best option. Use some common sense.

Peace.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Asprin in very small doses (10mg) is very effective.

Although I cannot back that statement up since none of my books are here, but im sure the sports injurt website has some good info on asprin, its doses, and its benefits/side-effects etc.
    strike!

Conditioning thickens the bone.

Ice, massage and jow teatment a must.

TaoBoy, what are your thoughts about repeated "muscle damage" and the resulting "scar tissue" hardening? Granted the scar tissue is less flexible this is how the muscle reacts to conditioning, yet becomes harder so to speak.

By the way, the Chinese do not believe in Ice therapy.

Why do 'the Chinese' not believe in ice therapy? At all?
    strike!