Reading from the Tiaji or Taijiquan thread something Tai Chi Bob said rang a bell. "Conventional Martial Arts", are those that focus on strength, speed and a "kick butt" attitude. What hit home to me is that I have spent most of my life with a “kick butt” attitude. Sometimes literally, others figuratively. This approach has served my well. Kept me competitive but always on edge. As I have gotten older, I find it more physically and mentally draining to plow through a person or a task. That is what drew me to Taijiquan. I like the quite confidence and peace. I am very new to my training, however, I expect to learn to control situations, and people when necessary, without having to overtly dominate. It reminds me of a definition of diplomacy… something to the effect of selling someone something that they already own and make them think they are getting a deal.

My question is this…. When pushing myself, whether physically working out or studying long hours it has been this “kick butt” attitude that has pushed me. “I will dominate”. I have always associated this “kick butt” drive to that of a warrior. How do we train in internal martial arts but maintain that warrior drive. That warrior never quite attitude… One more rep… One more hour… without calling on that I will “kick butt” attitude? As I said, the I will “kick butt” attitude has served my well, but constantly on full speed will wear you out. Internal Warrior?

Peace