Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to do handstands?

like it says in the profile, man!

Maybe it's an English thing? In British (real!) English we only ever really use 'cubicles' to describe the things in public washrooms, changing rooms, or at a stretch, voting booths or something like that...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

ahh .. sorry .. makes more sense then if its one of dem english things.

i meant office cubicles ... but a large group of them. proably about 8 long and two wide ... used to be able to walk around the entire thing at least once.
    where's my beer?

aaaah!

I suppose we might use cubicle for that... I'd probably use booth again...
    and most offices I've worked in have been open plan: I don't think sectioning off is so popular in the UK...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Thank you all! Much good advice! Now I have some new things to try today!

Thumbs up

good advice guys, i came in to this late but just wanted to say good luck

We do a handstand exercise as part of my hard qigong training and have to stay upside down (against a wall) for a while (50 breaths)... it's very difficult to keep your body straight, and good posture... really makes u get tired lol but makes you feel a lot stronger.

good luck!
    david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Change your field of research

Explore Yoga. That discipline has the best handstand training I've experienced so far. There are pelnty fo resources for Yoga - books, tapes, mags, but as always, a live instructor is best.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

UPDATE

Ok, so I finally talked my gf into helping me... so I did a handstand against a wall, my gf grabbing my ankles after kick-off and helping me up. Stayed like that for a while, it was HEAVY! Tried to move a hand but it was completely impossible, tried a pushup, could only do a tenth of a real pushup hehe... It was interesting.. I need to develop more upper body strength I think...

Gigante: Keep practicing; the strength will come. I'm something like 220 lbs myself, and I use handstands in my martial arts (not just as a drill).

GDA: Arched back, looking at the floor, etc. are like locking your knee for kicks. It feels so natural, but it rips you up so hard.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

JusticeZero, that's encouraging to hear!
    Are you a Capoeirista, by the way ?

Yes, an Angoleiro.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Ah! I trained Angola for six months... great fun! But I was somewhat hindered by my inability to do hand-stands as you can imagine. Could not even do an "au"..

What prevented you? I can do au easily. I never had great difficulty. I mean. if I recall, there is a Regional mestre who does the most insane acrobatics who weighs in excess of 250 pounds, of which muscle is not the major component, visually.

I certainly hope that your mass is not being used as an EXCUSE.