Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: burning incense... why 3?

Question burning incense... why 3?

I've noticed that in taoist or buddhist rituals or even in martial arts class (kung fu, especifically), the priest, monk or teacher always light 3 incense sticks... why not 1 or 2? What is the simbolism behind that?

I would apreciate some comments about it....

Thanks in advance for the help, folks!

Three is a very lucky number in Chinese philosophy, as are it's combinations: 3 x 3 = 9, so 9 is also very powerful, 27 (3 x 9), 81 (9 x 9) and so on.

Also, remember the Tao Te Ching:

"From one comes two, from two comes three, from three come the ten thousand things."

Three is very powerful in most cultures. It's always a magical number and very few cultures are without some form of Trinity.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Serpent

Thought you gave a good answer. But, I'm perplexed by Why this is so. Just the concept of numbers at all confuses me. Not the practical application. Anyone can see one, two or three of anything visible, and exchange objects. But "even," "odd," and certain numbers (like three and its multiples), and preferences for one or the other don't make sense to me. Yet, I too, have number preferences I can't explain. (I guess you can tell I sank in math.)

It would be laborious to catalogue numerical significances in many things. Yet, the fundamental question remains for me.

Cody
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)

Look outside the box a little bit and your perception can broaden. What's the strongest structural shape? A triangle. Three points of construction. When life procreates there are two that give birth to a third and the family is created (not so in protozoic activity, of course! ) There are numerous example in life of a trinity being the most powerful concept or of a trinity giving forth a more numerous result (as in procreation.)

There is a power in threes that is beyond our words, so it's hard to conceive of it by considering only the human number. Try to consider the trinity rather than the 3. (And by trinity I don't mean the Father, Son, Holy Ghost version specifically). Imagine trinity as a concept and look out for it. You'll see it everywhere!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Serpent

I'll try. Not used to thinking that way. I guess the last time I looked at anything in terms of how you speak was when I visited Gothic cathedrals in England. um, I'm "feeling" a rumble. My mind jumps immediately to shapes, supports, structures which cannot be seen. Unfortunately, I do not have the sort of mind that can explore such things adequately.
    Thank you for showing me something special. I appreciate it. It's one reason why I come to the boards.

Cody

guohuen,

Am understanding what you are saying. The lines between material significance, or a mystical quality/quantity, or superstition can shift like sands. Yet, as Serpent has pointed out, there are numbers and combos which recur often enough, in terms of structural support for instance, that one such as myself might seek a deeper root, or at least acknowledge that what we see is the surface. (By the way, it is important to add that I'm an atheist. So, my glancing is not a search for the divine, or even for the Beginning, just to look at what is.)
    In my view, you are quite correct that numbers are a tool. The numbers are names for concepts which we use as tools to explore our world, and to build in it, to make sense of it.

your caution is well noted.

Cody

Well said, Guohen.

Remember that as soon as we name (or number) something, we reduce it to a human concept. Try to feel, not "know". Certainly far easier said than done!

Cody, good luck in your search!

Smile Serpent,

Thumbs up to first comment. Ideas:

When we name something, we define it within a verbal paradigm. Some things said to be defined are merely described. Language allows us to share abstract concepts, and also provides a false sense of security in terms of knowing. "We've defined it." or, "We've defined it for me; now let's define it for you." Then there will be the hunt for the "Truth." ahem. the truth for me, for you, for the squirrel living under the porch, for the man who runs effortlessly, for one who feels the earth heavily......, the common or objective truth(s).

The knowing, without language, a primal knowing, is different, and not all that easy to do. I am thinking in terms of feelings without words. Feeling without the descriptive words in mind, or even available. It like comes from a different place in the brain, and is very intense. There is a difference. I'm referring specifically to emotion. I've known this; not often and not for long, because the rational/verbal brain takes over. Apart from emotional experience, I believe that there is a knowing brain which functions without language. One "has a feeling," so to speak. It can be a "knowing" though. I think you already realize this. I am thinking of some who might not. Who are mistaking feeling their way for what is sometimes a different kind of knowing. about as far as I've been able to go with this. It's kind of rough around the edges. But, I think that therein lies the realm of No-Mind.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Cody

No worries. You're on a good path now. Just keep going.

MonkeyBoy Guest
    There is birth, life and death.

Stories have a begining, middle and an end.

It takes three to make a family.

And more than three sticks of insence makes it hard to breathe.

Good point Guohen.

Remember the old saying, "Why did you have to spoil it all by opening your big mouth?"

The same can apply to the mind.

When you meditate, the aim is to silence the internal dialogue. Try to maintain something of that state when you observe.

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
    And more than three sticks of insence makes it hard to breathe.
    LOL! How true! A Buddhist temple at Chinese New Year, for example! *COUGH*!

3's

If its Buddhist then it represents the Sangha, Dharma and Buddha
    if its Taoist/martial represents Jing,Qi and Shen. Both in their own fields of study are refered to as the 3 Jewels.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

MonkeyBoy Guest

Re: 3's

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    If its Buddhist then it represents the Sangha, Dharma and Buddha
    if its Taoist/martial represents Jing,Qi and Shen. Both in their own fields of study are refered to as the 3 Jewels.
    Aren't they also called the three baskets.

I'm Buddhist and it represents the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha and the pat of seeking elightenment.