Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flower Fist...

mysteri Guest

Flower Fist...

i know that everyone practices different flower fist forms, some even within the same style. but i believe still that there are common strategies and focuses among all of the different stlye's flower fist form. what does your stlye focus on? what does you flower fist focus on?

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Flower Fist

Mysteri,

The most popular by far is the plum flower fist. It is based on the movements of a plum flower.

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com

ZhouJiaQuan Guest

I was wondering the same...

You know i've been wondering the same thing for a long time....

oh yea(not trying to distract thread) ego what ever happend to your challenge with hung gar? i havent heard anything about that in a while??? maybe i missed it...

Peace,
    Walter(taking deep cat and bowing to mysteri)

"Everyone seems so clever and self-assured.
    I alone appear unlearned and original,
    insistent upon a different direction than other people pursue." -Lao Tzu

sifuchuck Guest

"Based upon movements of the plum flower"

Hmmmm! Hey, Joisey! How exactly does a plum flower move?
    :confused:

mysteri Guest

to my current knowledge..

thanx ego, i was referring to the plum flower fist. to my knowledge, the plum flower fist originates in bok shaolin. the style itself (mei hua) is a long fist style that focuses on explosive long arm movements originating from the waiste, as is common with most long fist styles. plum flower also seems to wrap and engulf and opponents within its long arm techniques which seems to reel them in for close range techniques. this is pretty much the gist of my current knowledge. if i can think of anything else, i'll be sure to post. i'm curious how CLF and hung gar might focus their flower fist as opposed to bak sil lum? any feedback would be well-appreciated.

zhoujia- (bowing in the lowest cat he can get, which is nowhere NEAR yours walter!<show-ff> ;) )

Waidan Guest
    We had "plumb flower patterns" in San Soo, but I'd have to see the PF forms of other systems to determine if there's any deep relationship. There are so many misnomers in San Soo that I rarely take any seeming similarities to other styles for granted.

In SanSoo the "plumb flower" refers to the stepping pattern, and the arc-direction of the striking. If the movements of the practitioner were traced, they would form a geometric "flower" pattern, which becomes a piece of a larger pattern when linked with several similar forms (eventually creating a 365 [or there-bouts] movement "annual" form).

Kung Lek Guest
    The term "Plum Flower" like in Plum Flower boxing refers mainly to the directions moved in as was stated above.

In Bak Sil Lum, Moi Fa or Form #7 moves in the four cardinal directions (north,east, south, west).
    In other systems, there are five directions taken.
    The petals of a plum flower can be 4 or 5 and yada yada yada. It's a directional thing.

And chuck, depending on the wind, a plum flower will move in a variety of ways :D at least until it becomes a plum and then it falls from the tree or gets plucked and eaten.

peace

Kung Lek

MIKSANSOO Guest
    waidan:

plum flower is not a common thing that is taught in san soo. it was taught by jimmy to some but not all. from my understanding from the 1st US generation (the only ones who really know about it). that at the el monte school jimmy had this shag carpet and once you were done with the form there was a plum flower in the carpet. and I would like to state the san soo is not choy li fut. have a nice day :)

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
    Jimmy H. Woo

Waidan Guest
    "I would like to state the san soo is not choy li fut."

A lot of people make that mistake. Fortunately, I'm not one of them :)

"plum flower is not a common thing that is taught in san soo."

That may be. I only ever learned under one instructor, but it's quite possible other teachers have a different cirriculum. I've met students from other schools, and in some cases our arts were quite different.

mysteri Guest

thanx for the info..

we have two different plum flower fist forms that i know of @ my school. i will look for the pattern. btw- i thought that sansoo was choy li ho fut hunng? i thought it was a combat intensive style of choy lit fut? yes, please enlighten me. thank you.

Waidan Guest
    "San Soo", according to most accounts, is/was known in China as Tsoi Li Ho Hung Fut. I've also seen it commonly refered to as Tsoi Li Ho Fut, and in one case as "village style" CLF.

Now it would make sense to me, just looking at the seeming similarity of the family names, that the two arts are closely related...but most long-time CLF players will deny this admanately. I don't have much experience with CLF, so I'm not going to argue with guys who've been doing it for 20 years.

I've seen alternate explanations for the TLHHF names, but they are a bit complicated, and none of them made a whole lot of sense. And then there's the alleged ties with Ed Parker, and the questionable validity of the manuals (where they are now, I have no idea...if someone were allowed to translate a single page it'd make a lot of folks really happy). Basically, it's kind of a mess.

People will always have their opinions about the origins of San Soo, and people will continue to support their various versions of the art's history. And that's cool. But I've corresponded with a dozen "old-timers" and "authorities"(including James King, Bernice Woo, and most any Master with a website)and gotten a dozen different stories. You know what? If San Soo started with Jimmy and a studio in El Monte, that'd be okay with me.

MIKSANSOO Guest
    jimmy's passing left things in state of array. he passed when i was a white belt. but san soo is a family art. chin was jimmy's actual last name. lineage is what distinguishes a certain art. choy li fut is named after the founders of it. and san soo has its from the quan yin monestary then to his family. the books are in existance but the whereabouts are unknown. old chinese hard to translate.

Jimmy H. Woo

Waidan Guest
    Yeah, I imagine they're still in existence, but who actually has them is a pretty good question. I understand a couple of Jimmy's relatives claim to have them, but no one will publicly produce the books. I also heard rumor that that SCARS fellow got a hold of them (through theft), but I've never seen that substantiated.

I was a W/B when Jimmy died also, so I'm a bit removed from most of the bickering and in-fighting that ensued at that time.

MIKSANSOO Guest
    you should speak with ron gatewood in regards to the books. by the way clf looks different than san soo. all chinese arts have similarities. as far as i'm told jimmy said the two are distant cousins at best. but if you think of it all cma are related somehow. :)

Jimmy H. Woo

MIKSANSOO Guest
    sorry for getting off topic guys :(

Jimmy H. Woo