Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee's meditation practice

Bruce Lee's meditation practice

Anyone who has really read up on Bruce Lee knows he was not only a great martial artist but also worked on his spiritual side.My question is, does anyone know what type of meditation or chi gong he did?I have no facts that he did any but in my opinion a man who was as smart as him and did as much research as him probably would have taken up a meditation program.Anyone ever read anything about this or have any information on it?

Bruce studied Buddhism, yoga, Taoism...even the Indian philosopher Krishnamurti.

I dont think Bruce elaborated on the technique of meditation he did. I'm guessing he practiced the 'standard' breath counting technique as in Buddhism and other traditions. This focuses the mind, and you can tell from looking at him that Bruce is one focused individual.

I believe his father taught him Taichi, and he also studied it later on in life. There are countless variations of chikung practices so it couldve been any one of those.

He couldve practiced Taoist Microsobic orbit to feel his chi flow, or he couldve practiced hatha yoga and transcedental meditation.

But why dont you practice Jeet kune do, and, instead of wondering what Bruce studied, find your own path of meditation and chikung that works best for you. Not that I dont wonder these things myself, I'm not saying anything negative here. Chikung practices usually reap the same benefits, same with meditation. It just depends which road you take to get to the castle...

Hmm

All I know is that Taiji was his first art and (I forget her name but will find out) Female Taiji Master who was also a friend of his later claimed that when he was younger he didn't have the patience to practice internal arts much.

I would have to say that although you elaborate on his meditation and Qi Gong practice with little evidence, from seeing him in action in film footage and outside film footage I would have to say that it looks quite clear that he didn't continue his internal studies later on in life. Bruce seems to of excelled in his external arts quite a way ahead of his contemporaries but, Im sorry I totally feel that Bruce was NOT an internalist.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

As far as internal *martial arts*, no. He did not study Bagua or Taichi in depth by any means.

But Bruce did recognize that there are 2 sides to everything that makes one. He did realize, on top of doing external activities, that he needed to concentrate his mind, and also provide his brain candy. He had over 1,000 books, meditated frequently, etc. I believe Bruce took the "internal" approach by reading and contemplating, not repeating lifting the sky and iron palm techniques.

but how did he do the 1-inch punch? with his chi? body mechanics? that seemed to have internal qualities to it that alot of internal practioners wouldnt be able to do.
    Waves roughen the sea and windmill turn because of the wind. Take away the wind and the sea becomes calm and the windmills come to rest. For every effect there is a cause.

Int/Ext

Bruce did the one inch punch with external force. He did not do it using internal methods as an internalist who do Im pretty sure of that from the footage I've seen of him doing it.
    Im sorry but saying he had over 1000 books on meditation is hardly a qualification for making him an internalist. Dont you think thats a little naieve? Just because I have been avidly watching the CommonWealth athletics on TV everyday doesn't make me a CommonWealth class athelete does it?
    Bruce Lee was an externalist fighter who read and studied philosophy, but counting the breath does not necessarily make one an internalist either. To of been an internalist practioner one would of expected him to of committed himself for many years to constant practice of that art. However the art he did committ himself to was not one of those.
    Bruce Lee was a famous external martial artist behind and in front of the screen.

one inch punch

Anybody with descent wing chun training would be able to do the one inch punch like he did. Its all in the mechanics, structure, and rootedness of the body. Nothing to do with internal chi or internal principles.

focusing your intent on the target,,,,,

as in the 1 inch punch IS INTERNAL. yes you can react physically and go through the motions of the strike but there IS INTERNAL WORK THERE.

we can assume that Bruce studied internal aspects when he was learning from Yip man and i think i can safely assume that he in fact did. but that aspect of bruce is not shared as much as his "external" methods.

bruce transcended the fixated rules with which martial arts is practiced. the level of attainment is the level at which one "forgets" what they have learned and sheds the boundaries of the fixed and just flows. there is an internal aspect to it. actually i take that back,,there isnt an internal aspect,,IT IS ALL INTERNAL. he simplified his teaching so that we "westerners" could understand the principles. to say that he wasnt internal or didnt focus on it much would be saying that a quarter back doesnt focus on his throwing arm or the reciever he is throwing to.
    what i have always admired about bruce is his "Courage" to share the ultimate secret in martial arts. when you reach a level where forms are no longer necessary for you. when the boundaries of fixed positions and endless routines are risen above, you advance to a level where you are moving and doing forms out of the creation of your free mind.

the only think that i feel,in my opinion, where bruce went wrong ,,is that he attempted to teach this to people without the foundation of the fixed forms and the classical movements, for THATS what bruce learned in the beginning and was instrumental in his evolvement past those things.

Many respects,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I agree. The 1-inch punch was purely body mechanics, being rooted, etc....but isnt that a part of every internal practice? Dont tell me that they dont teach that in every taichi and bagua class. Its not something you can aquire from lifting weights and practicing hard external methods.

In order to get proper root and body mechanics you have to relax and feel it out, very slowly, and it takes place internally, it is not a product of muscular maturity or external variables.

Finally, doing martial arts is both Internal and External, whatever style you do. There are many internal qualities in the 'hard' CMAs like wing chun and shaolin. Your body works in harmony with your mind, making it a unified practice. It is the division that the western mind puts on things to help you 'understand' these things that will confuse you in the long run. Yin and yang form to make one. Internal and external qualities of YOURSELF form to make the martial art you practice. We need to shed all the names of things and just practice with an open mind and determined concious, and the wisdom of this unified practice of body and mind will set in on its own.

I think in this thread we are just disputing the definition of pracitcing internal martial arts. But its still fun.

Nope

Comparing Bruce to someone like Cheng Man Ching in terms of internal, would clearly outline the fact that Bruce's idea of internal was very external. From the regimes we here about that Bruce put himself through I would say that its very obvious that he didn't develop his Qi and Jin's in the way that an internal martial artist does. In this respect Bruce certainly was NOT an internalist.
    I know quite a few externalists who can quite easily do 1 inch punches and they do not train any internal whatsoever.

It seems the information we have left to us about Bruces ideas still seem (from a workout and conditioning point of view) that he didn't do much Qi cultivation at all. I mean he honed his muscularture in the way any externalist would, what does that tell us?
    I just feel that he was a very good externalist.
    Last edited by Repulsive Monkey; 08-11-2002 at 06:49 AM.

Agreed. If only he incorporated more internal practices more in depth, I wonder if that would change anything today.

Maybe!

I think it would of had a big effewct upon his art yes, but as many might say not that it needed it as Jeet Kune do has a big enough reputation today as it ever has.

Greetings..

I often wonder.. if we put as much time and effort into merging the concepts of internal/external rather than seperating them.. how much better off would we be.. (oops, then what would we have to argue about).. After all, it's all just One thing, seperated by perspective and intention.. If Mr. Lee weren't superior in both aspects, this thread would not even exist..

To take a page from Mr. Lee's own philosophy, bring it ALL together, a seamless whole.. and, like a diamond, trim the excess to reveal the soul of the stone, the fire within..

Just a perspective from the Far-side.. Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Indeed. There is the conceptual division of external and internal, and there is also the merging of both to form YOU. Interesting stuff, it seems to make my mind behave like a dog chasing his tail, though.

If a guy practices kung fu (let alone as much as Lee did), he's doing MOVING MEDITATION of the highest order.

or at that's at least what the Shaolin Monks say.

Huang KaiVan

Aswell as being wrong, your comment doesn't really make any ceridible sense. All Kung-fu = moving meditation of the highest order does it? Where did you get that erroneous information from?
    Bruce Lee's main focus was not developing the mind states that Lama's do via meditation, but to develop the external art that he created and his own understanding into where it may or may not lead him. I do not for a second think that his intent was say that of a Lama in developing refined mind states through meditation. If it was why didn't he give up Hollywood and join a monastery?