Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TKD vs. guy with no training

Question uhhh..........

isnt the JKD guy wearing a "BLACK BELT"? now i know black belts do not mean much anymore but you would "THINK" that if one wears a black belt that one would have been in the system a while in order to attain this level of proficiancy that warrants a black belt ranking.

and we see clearly that the jkd guy throws a half assed side kick and gets tapped in the pills. ego or no ego the guy threw his kick lower and hit his target. the jkd guy throws a higher kick. and uhhh doesnt JKD teach not to kick that high? hmm am i missing something here?

call me crazy but i think that all this hype about bruce lees art has been seriously overrated. this *******ization of bruces art has turned jkd and other arts into a laughing stock. and why? cause everything i have seen of JKD denotes HOLLYWOOD flash and dash moves that serve no purpose except to entertain on the screen. what we see with bruces antics on the screen is NOT JKD. i would think that JKD in a truer sense of the word is more of a hsing i boxing style. very direct and to the point WITHOUT all the fancy mess. as we have seen in this picture of the "honorable black belt"jkd kid getting blitzed in the nads for being a peac0ck rather than a fighter.

Many respects,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

er, yes. you are missing something.

the TKD (taekwondo) guy is wearing a black belt. the JKD guy isn't. (and in point of fact, he apparently doesn't actually train in JKD anyway. he's just read the books.)

now i know black belts do not mean much anymore but you would "THINK" that if one wears a black belt that one would have been in the system a while in order to attain this level of proficiancy that warrants a black belt ranking.
    no, i wouldn't think that. nor would anyone else who's come to the same realization you have. that black belts don't mean much anymore. i would think that the black belt should mean more than that. and at some schools, obviously, it does. but in this case, it didn't.

both of these guys were being ruled by their egos. i'm not even going to condemn that. we're all ruled by our egos. why else would we post here? out of pure and absolute benevolence? an altruistic drive to help our fellow man and woman? please.

if the JKD guy's story is to be believed, the TKD guy was a tool. not far fetched. i've seen plenty of young guys in martial arts go around acting as if they were the second coming. this JKD guy took it upon himself, according to the story, to put the TKD guy in his place. an understandable impulse, quite frankly. though the JKD guy comes off as not much better to my mind.

all said, it's a good thing for the JKD guy that the TKD guy wasn't smarter. that sidekick is clearly on target. if the kid had a better sense of range, timing, form, and so on, that might have been nasty. as is, some goof tapped another goof in the jumblies. end of story.

stuart b.

Talking

I was in the supermarket yesterday and one of the scandal rags in the checkout line had a picture of a baby and the headline read, Nine month old gets blackbelt. I guffawed until the cashier thought I was crazy.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

actually, that's true guohuen. i was there. the baby had to break three pieces of zwieback toast with his forehead to get the belt. it was outstanding.

but i still maintain that white gi pants on a baby was a logistical mistake.

stuart b.

One of my wifes friends has two sons in TKD at a McKwan. One was a black belt (about 15) and the other a brown(about 12). So she says, "Well since you're just a blue belt that means my sons can beat you up, right?". She was serious.

I tried to explain how arbitrary belt ranks are between schools and that it takes about 4 to 5 years for us to move through 4 color belt ranks to black belt. The 15 year old got his BB in about 2 1/2 years and has a display case of about 8 or 9 colored belts(some with stripes), with his younger brother not far behind. At least the two boys are nice kids and don't seem deluded like their mom.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Talking

Mr Brown made a funny!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

i still don't see what all the fuss is about... 2 guys mucked around (hardly a real fight), one got a poor kick/push in the ribs, the other got a big toe on his jewels... so? Stuff like that happens all the time in training - win some lose some... everyone does well sometimes or does crap, no matter what style.

I happen to know 1 TKD 2nd dan who would just like to kick my ass to prove how TKD can be used sparring Could be fun

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

one got a poor kick/push in the ribs, the other got a big toe on his jewels
    i freaking love this synopsis, and i think it should become the KFO 'official' version of events.

well said, my friend.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Thumbs up

LOL Thanks Apoweyn!

I've been in situations like that too many times with training, no big deal really. It was made out to be a big TKD/JKD grudge match or something but really was just a couple of teenagers mucking around... happens all the time

david

PS: getting a big toe like that DOES hurt though
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

yeah, maybe it does, but at least we got a good laugh out of it.

When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

A tickle kick!

>>>Hmm is it me or does the tkd guy has his side kick on his ribs although he is being hit in the groin. If it was someone with good power it could have fractured a rib or two.

It looks like he is reaching with his toes. Must have been a tickle kick! Coochie, coochie - under the armpit.

Unfortunately, I was a member of a McDojo for several years and have seen these types of challenge matches. I have only seen the TKD instructor loose – and in one case get fired for fighting in front of the students.

These loosely thrown kicks are common and since there is no grabbing during TKD sparring, one becomes accustomed to using them as often as a jab.

You fight like you train. This could be the biggest problem with TKD. But I’m glad I studied it for the powerful kicks and discipline.

Godzilla

I had this happen at our miami school. An 11 year old black belt TKD joins our kung fu class. He was a nice kid, no ego to speak of. One day I put him to spar with a classmate. We don't do point sparring so right off I knew the kid would be in trouble. We do a 2 minute round, no stopping. We don't stop for points or even declare a winner.

Sure enough everytime he lifted his leg he would turn around and walk the other way. This didn't stop the other kid from continuing his attack. Once he got out of that habit, he would try to continue but found himself comeing up short. His mother was watching this and asked me the age and skill level of the other boy. I told her they were the same age and he had only 6 months with me. Then she asked why her son , a black belt, was being manhandled,er boyhandled, by the other kid. In a very PC way I had to explain that the rules we follow are very different and rank doesn't necessarily equate to proficiency.

The point here is that the boy came from a very tourney oriented school. He had been playing the tag game all the way to black belt. Mind you, I've met many TKD BB that kick but. But this boy is a product of the BB factory machine. He was never given any other challenge.

Good story SIFU ABEL...sounds like my true story...thought my POINT FIGHTING SKILLs were the SHIET...then got toyed by a boxer...then a wrestler. Had to start all over again!
    A