Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Bak Hok Pai

friday Guest
    hi jon again
    sorry from your previous post i was not able to determine how to go about using those training techniques. would u be able to explain it again.

thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.

friday

Gum Gong Guest
    Friday,
    To my knowledge there are only a few sets that are origional sets.I know that six strengths set dates back about 600 years and I think that chit yap bo and tiet lien choi date back about 400 years.Dr long's school is a pak hok school they just have a few kuens that he made up.I would bet that your sifu's teacher picked up a few techniques here and there from other people,and possibly made up a kuen also.Some of the kuens you do may have been made up only 1 or 2 generations back but were accepted by the grandmasters so you never new that they were'nt origional. After all they were all made up by someone.That's the beauty of white crane it's such an open ended art it has been growing for 600+ years and will continue to grow as long as people are willing to let the art reveal itself to them and be innovative.There are a lot of good arts out there or they wouldn't have lasted this long,but some are superior,and "Tibetan" arts are in the superior class.I've noticed that some pak hok schools teach five animals and I know that that's not original pak hok

Which training techniques were you talking about?

Jon Moore

Gum Gong Guest
    Oh yeah,
    All of Dr Long's sets were given that stamp of approval by Chan Hok Fu.So they are legitamate Pak Hok Kuens.

Jon Moore

HopGar Guest
    Diego, send me an email so I can send that huge email I started months ago, it just about done, at least what I'll do for right now. (Jewish holidays are finished for while...)

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

friday Guest
    Hi Jon,
    as for training techniques its the ones that u described in respect of strengthening the knees etc.

my sifu is a inner circle student of a number of people of that generation and also learnt for a period from Ng Siu Zhong.

the five animal forms is a modified version of shaolin forms that were actually a product of an exchange of techniques between Wong Fei Hung and ...someone in the Pak Hok Lineage which i m sorry to say i can't remember.

u are right it is a product of 'development' as for the original forms which were 6 in total i doubt that even Sing Lung was teaching only these 6 forms as Pak Hok in the beginning, by that stage it had already developed...

anyway i m sure a meeting between us would be very interesting for the both of us.

Gum Gong Guest

Knee strengthening

Friday,
    I'll try to explain these a little better.

Drollo Horse(comes from a Tibetan monk named Drollo Ga Tanga who was a dwarf and whos speciality was fighting up and down in a vertical fashion.Stand with your feet together with your hands at lama bow(palms together,about 5 inches in front of your chest,same elevation as your heart,forearms parallel with the ground).Next,keeping your hands the same and your feet together, squat down until your thighs are parallel with the ground.Keep your back straight also.Stand there as long as you can.Eventually you may feel that your knees are filling up.That's ok because you are stimulating an acupuncture point.K 1 I belive.

One leg squats-
    stand on left leg.Grab right foot with left hand.Hold it out in front of you.squat down until your thigh is parallel to the ground.stand back up.Do as many as you can .switch legs.

Iron horse-
    stand with your feet about three feet apart,with your toes pointed out at a 45 degree angle(left to the left,right to the right)squat down ,keeping your back straight and perpendicular to the ground,until your thighs are parallel to the ground.press your palms out to your sides as if pushing on two walls.hold that posture as long as you can.take a 5 second break between each excersise.

I hope that helps.

Jon Moore

friday Guest
    Hi Jon, thanks for that, i it is alot easier to understand.

i will give these are try when i m better.

regards,

HopGar Guest
    Hey Gum Gong,
    Maybe the Churn Why Kurn (however you spell it) form came from guy who created the Drollo horse training. What do you think?

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

Gum Gong Guest
    Hey Kong,
    It's very possible.Do you guys do drollo horse training?What's your favorite Hop Gar drill?I Like tin sin choi yam and dan ji.

Jon Moore

HopGar Guest
    Actually most of our training is basically tibtan qigong and Hop Gar, although we also got some stuff with a mook jong - wing chun dummy, and with bagwork. Wanna translate that/describe it, I'm not familiar with the Chinese terms. I like doin moving pow choy/chin choy conbo's as well as Seven-star punch. Overkill, to say the least. :D ;) :)

Zvika

HopGar Guest
    yeah Gong Ji (Dan Ji?) is a fun one, just dont do that stance too low, if ya know what I mean - tired legs.

Zvika

diego Guest

gg you study bak hok and hopga

from what you can see whats the differance between the lama styles,like does bakhok use more crane technique and hopga more ape

one thing i have noticed is hop ga gives you a noticeable bulk especially around the hips and triceps &that the techniques give you a strentgh similar to a powerlifter but with more flexibility
    make sence

any tibetan stylists reading this whats your op

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

diego Guest

stance training

facing 12 hands in prayer,lift r knee and front kick to high sidekick to back kick"tigertail with bottom heel foot striaght,pull toes to your shin and extend heel"to low side kick;repeat ten times the four kicks all same leg'front to 12'sides to 3& back to 6..do say 3 reps alternate legs for 60 kicks with four kicks ten times inbetween ten reps,you should switch legs after ten cycles..to develop balance

stand in high horse in siu lam prayer right fist in left palm ....hold for a minute
    go down a souple of inches hold for a minute down agian hold for two minutes.go all the way down in deep horse and hold as long as you can
    stand up do light breathing ex....to build root

that was the stance training i was taught,dont know where it came from could be kajukenbo??

i like your method gumgong im going to vary

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

diego Guest

uh i just wrote a longa$$ post detialing my warmup

and it stated i wasnt logged on but i was

FRIG
    I'L REPOST WHEN I GET UP

frign frigr fruq!

Gum Gong Guest
    I like that kicking drill diego.I'm going to try it.On those 23soft hands you sent me what is the crane stance.There's a bunch I could put in there but I would like to know which one your using.

Whether or not Hop Gar uses more crane or ape is hard to say.It is however more of an agressive art.When you guys do a backfist do you roll back your fist exposing your knuckles?

Jon Moore