Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Bak Hok Pai

HopGar Guest
    I believe, repeat, believe that my sifu is the standard bearer of the style, but I could be wrong, I think Ng Yim Min taught Chin only for a little while.

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

diego Guest

although im confused to

is grandmaster ku the main lineage holder
    and david chin is harry ngs main american representative i think thats what i read,you guys know,harry is my style so it would be useful for i to know. :D

i like that though he is hop ga
    it reminds me or in my head echo's what the mc krs1 says
    you are not doing HIPHOP you are HIPHOP
    haha....regards

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

Gum Gong Guest
    I wholeheartedly agree.There are many caught up in "playing kung fu" and few that are doing it for real.I suppose that reason being that most people don't want to change who they are,and seem,to themselves,to have a comfort zone which is impassible.To those people I have to say "crap or get off the pot".I guess everyone has there place in the arts though.Some don't have the will to train like they need to,but are excellent teachers,and some are the opposite.I personally am striving to be both.I have embarked on a path in which few will reach the goal but those who do will truely be peerless in there art.

On another note I think that southern mantis rocks.I feel that it is definately in the "superior"art class.Henry Poo Yee's guys are definately fighters.

Jon Moore

Steven T. Richards Guest
    Hello All,

I don't know David Chin, but, what I do know about GM Ku and kevin Kaley lead me to acknowledge Ku as GM of Hop-Gar.

If GM Ku were to teach a Bak-Siu-Lum set as part of his syllabus I would naturally accept it as such.

I do't speak on GM Ku's behalf of course and have no interest in political bickering. I am simply saying it as I see it. My Si-Fu's Si-Gung Chan-Fat-Fu knows GM Ku and that is good enough for me.

It is of course possible to have more than one GM of a Pai as every real Pai will diversify into branches (Darwin's Mantis's analogy).

As I understand it the Pak-Hok tradition is very well documented and well promoted. Other traditions within the Tibetan art less so, but they are equally valid as such. The diversity of the Lama art is its strength - we are all different, but from one root.

BTW - on the subject of original sets - in 1983 I watched a BBC TV documentary 'Way of The Warrior' - this particular episode was on the Indian Martial Art of Kalari (Battelground). To my absolute astonishment - I saw a tape of a Souhern India Village Kalari Master doing a form which was near identical to one of the Lion's Roar sets that I have from Chan-Fat-Fu: 'Sei-Lo-Fun-Dar - 'Four-Way-Separate-Attack'. The sequence, directions and technique were virtually identical - teh main difference was that the kalari Master used an open palm with extended thumb for techniques that Chan-Fat-Fu uses as'Bin-Choi' - Whipping backfist.

To my anthropologists eye - this was primary evidence for the influence of Indian martial arts on the Tibetan, and then the Chinese. The programme is on video tape and well worth viewing.

HopGar Guest
    What the name of the tape? I'd be interested in seeing it.

On a different note, how do you guys land a poi-e-sau, I usually land it as a backfist? What about y'all?

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

Steven T. Richards Guest
    Hello Kong,

'The Way Of The Warrior' BBC Television (1983)
    Episode: 'Kalari: The Indian way'.

It may not be commercially available. I can get a UK format PAL VHS copy.

HopGar Guest
    I'm gonna look around for it...I'll let ya know what turns up....sounds like a cool video.

Zvika

diego Guest

whatchyall upto

??

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

friday Guest
    Hi everyone who has been participating in this forum post.

I am sad to inform everyone that i will no longer be posting any messages on this forum for a while due to personal problems i have to deal with.

Please continue posting your responses on this forum. it is always good to see friendly discussion between tibetan ma.

regards

HopGar Guest

time to revive this thread

Diego, did ya get the email I sent with a couple ofthose tehcniuqes? Anyhow, lets get some stuff happening here. How do you guys throw a kaap choy - do you make sure to let your wrist snap on the way down or just throw it with a solid wrist? I personally think it would hurt much more if you snap the wrist.

Zvika

diego Guest

khong looks like the thread is asleep

you do realize this is probably the only post that started good ,was trolled then grew.what happened to ego???

HopGar Guest
    probably got bored and left

Zvika

friday Guest
    Hi everyone

what can i say my life is pretty messed up right now with problems at every point imaginable. But your're right Diego this is a good forum and i m glad to hear someone else aside from myself thinks so. :)
    Kong, your Cup choi, u must know how to wun bo (twisting footsteps). stand in your goong bou stance (bow arrow stance) facing a fulllength mirror. bow arrow stance parallel to the mirror. Hold your arms in cup choi position, the side of your chest faces the mirror (excuse me if that is incorrect spelling). when your top fist comes down twist your whole stance with it such that your bow arrow stance faces the other side now. with the full twist of your whole body brings the greatest momentum and body weight to your cup choi.
    tuck in your thumb in the lama fist. your face watches the front, u will always see whats in front do not let your face look to the side. your target is in front.
    your wrist is strong when it comes down don't bend your wrist.
    in your mind every strike think that there is a person in front, imagine your strike rides down their head, face, and chest. the key is in your twist for this basic.

hope this is of help

regards,

friday Guest
    Kong btw i have told u everything to that technique there is still something that will help it even further that your instructors may have told u

sorry i do not know any of u well so i have chosen not to tell u everything. there are subtleties even with a basic techqnique such as cup choi that u may be unaware of..

i hope this may change in the future (my position). i will never disclose everything until i have met u and determined whether it is suitable to show you things...in the same way my sifu has interviewed me. i hope u understand

thankyou