Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bak Hok Pai

HopGar Guest
    Sorry, I didnt respond quickly enough. I just came home from Israel. Anyhow, I agree for the most part with everyones points here. If everyone could do me a favor and translate the chinese terminology a bit I would appreciate it b/c my Sifu uses mustly english or he speaks too quickly in Chinese to name the technique so it is impossible to know what these terms mean. I'll respond to the actualy posts some other time.

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

friday Guest

tibetan MA

Hi Diego,

The questions about traditional training methods and combining of tibetan MA with other styles will have to wait for a while ie. wait till i have time to make a IDD phone call to speak with my sifu.

But its great how this topic has got us all started again on Tibetan MA.

One interesting idea that I would like us all to get into is keeping in contact with each other and later starting up a network of all Tibetan related MA. As the current students of Pak Hok Pai, Hop Gar, Lama Kung Fu etc...we could be sifus of tomorrow ;) hahaha comn guys just bear with me on this idea. I think it would be sensational for us to exchange ideas one day organise tournaments, conferences etc. I like this idea rather than letting the original lions roar continue its divide into separate lineages.

tell me what you think. If you all like the idea.
    I might start collecting email addresses off u.

:)
    Sifu Peter Kuo and his students are pretty good lion dancers. ahhh its almost august moon...i think they will be lion dancing again later this month.

friday Guest

Re: political stuff

I recall visting the canadian white crane site. from there it said that Kwong Bu Fu was the jerng muen yun (successor of Pak Hok from Ng Siu Zhong).
    apparently Vincent Chow has inherited this title.
    Unfortunately, I think this claim needs some further clarification.
    From what I have been told, Kwong Bu Fu received a document signed by Ng Siu Zhong. This document authorised him to teach Pak Hok kung fu to other people. But it is not a document passing on the title of Jerng muen yun. In particular Pak Hok Pai has a small idol which is to be passed onto the successor of Ng Siu Zhong. I believe that they do not have in their possession this idol as i know its current location.
    anyway this could all just be a load of political rubbish. tell me what you think?

:)

Barefoot Mantis Guest
    Hi Friday,

Cool idea! re the keeping in touch. Our generation will have to carry the torch someday.
    My Si-Fu is on Lionsroarkungfu@aol.com maybe we could approach him too?

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Lion Dancers

Friday,

Much has been said about Sifu Koh's students at lion dancing. I enjoy watching and playing lion dance myself, but i don't think this should be the main focus. How effective are his students at combat? We know the certain can do a good victory dance!!

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com

friday Guest

Re: combat skills?

Ego, hmmm...I don't think i m in a position to comment on Sifu Kuo's students combat skills and i m sure u aren't interested in hearing about their reputation second , third hand etc. However, I do know that Sifu Kuo is bai see student of his sifu Mr Chan Hak Fu who worked as a bodyguard and fought many fights in his 'career' Of particular note is that they focus on the fighting aspect of Pak Hok.
    If you are really interested, I suppose you could always drop by at their mo guan if u are ever in Sydney.

friday Guest

Re: establishing a network

Hi Barefoot Mantis,

Hope you won't mind about this but I would prefer this idea to be kept with our 'generation' for the moment. i will post my email address soon. hope you can send me yours when i do.

thanks

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest
    Friday,

I thought you might have / are training with Peter Koh. That would mean there's more than one school of Pak Hok in Australia. It is not a style easy to find!

But thanks for the info. If there's a ramp access to the studio, I'll drop in when I'm in Sydney. Maybe in December - gets awefully cold in N.Y.

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com

Shaolin Master Guest

Pak Hok In Aus

Ego (Obiwan) how is the Tanglang, Baji and Pigua going. [Don't give me the wheel chair story ah]

Peter Kuo, White crane has a pretty legendary history not because of his skill rather that of his teacher Chan Hak Fu and some say that Mr. Ma has a fairly good reputation as well. The lion dance is well famous in whose eyes. Choy Li Fut used to be quite good in their day as were Yau Kung Mun. But nowadays, Lion dancing has deteriorated in the area.

Though to add the rigidity of the techniques differ from our school of Lama known as Xia Jia Quan. for we practice with much more of a whipping motion and with less rigidity (The internal set even is lacking maybe wasn't passed on properly who knows) and we don't have so many forms that were made up as found in Pak Hok (which are smaller and much more repetitive). Though in the end it is the same art and all very good.

Anyways, nice to see proud and happy students.
    Good luck to all of you and enjoy your training.

Regards
    Shi Chan Long

fiercest tiger Guest

shaolin master

good to see you still around! hows things?

yau kung mun will be performing in chinatown september 29th for august moon festival, my si hing has a lion dance team, they look after the shows, weddings etc. there will be a huge demo at the end ive been told using the mui fa jong at the end of dixon street! the guys train hard and they did one last year! this year suppose to be an even better jong! so lets see, i believe the lion dance is coming back, it will be good to get a lion dance comp here in sydney, within all the schools!! what do you think, lets get it happening???

have you got your website up yet? ;)

come & visit us!
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
    yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Shaolin Master Guest

Lion Dance Comp

Heyya FT,

That would be great fun, I mentioned that before but It is just so time consuming and I wanted to go to the Malaysian Tournament to understand how it was all organised as they have done it for so long. It would be good to learn from their experiences as there skills in Singapore (Our schools especially hehe) and Malaysia are so cool. From that then add some of our Aussie flavours and make it an interesting venture. Though A few years ago they tried that and it was almost a no show. The closest was a new year in cabra when there were 11 schools, around 29 lions (BKK Carpark was closed off just for lions) and only 4 greens hehe we took 3 that was real fun.

Anyways, I'll try and catch the YKM show on dixon, it should be fun.

Website, I thought about it and I decided to keep the info for the students. So one day I'll re-think the whole idea, probably putting some little bits without too much content for others to ill-use it.

Til Soon

Ego_Extrodinaire Guest

Pak Hok pai

Shaolinmaster,

Thanks for asking, but I guess you're not interested in my personal life story, which is ok as I would risk being repetitive. If you're asking for a comparsion between those northern styles - they rely alot on relaxed type of whipping action. You can also bring Tai Chi into this catagory.

From my experience with pak hok, it is much more stiff and less apt in the footwork. Training is alot more repetitive. However, your classes in Australia may be different who knows.

We too have lion dancing in the chinatown area. It is limited by space - if done in restaurants etc and time - having to perform the dance in many locations. Perhaps that's why the standard is deterioratng - being able only to perform the abridged version. But it's good to watch anyway to see what a different culture does in their sparetime.

Obiwan????? I'm not a fan of starwars. The Jedi knight stuff is so corney. Did you want my opinion on this as well. Don't get mad - as I hope you're not a starwars fan!

Maximus Maximize!
    ego_maximus@hotmail.com

diego Guest

so is anywon down to get into the finelines of lions roar

won thing thats kind of anoying me, is alot of kung fu practitioners still have this air of secrecy?????.

if you look at the wing chun guys just on there forum alone has details into the finepoints of thier system;just on that forum alone im willing to bet good money theres more info then in the whole published freakin ghettoe of the LR method

compared to the wing chun world of writing

regardless im about to use this kfof for quintessential knowledge on kf, i have some ideas for headers to create discussions on kf in general, like the relationship between hop/hung/clf's long fists and how are they similar.

but the only forsure i have is in hopgar, so it would be nice if people had some knowledge that may spark continuos progressive discussions;hek ego mite even have some juicy tidbits

irontiger Guest

duh!

blah,blah,blah,duh!
    oh,blah!
    good nite :mad:

diego Guest

moderator it is trolling

can you pleaz chek his ip
    im worryd he mite be that nc punk
    and i feel violated having such anoyn fisturbd individuals names under my posts