Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And, just to prove that I'm not always biased towards MMA being "street" proof...

And, just to prove that I'm not always biased towards MMA being "street" proof...

This is a similar experience to the WT one....... although this one deals with MMA. The thread was on Richard Dimitri's site.

Opinions, thoughts, ideas?

Ryu

I now understand what everyone here
    is talking about. I'm a mixed martial artists and trained primarily in BJJ and THAI boxing.
    8 years of training, only the last 5 very seriously. I spar hard, grapple lots, and fought two local MMA fights and won both. I train 5 days a week. This weekend I was humbled. A situation arose at a bar I frequent regularly on weekends with some of my buds.
    One thing led to another and a fight broke out
    between us (we were 3) and 4 other guys. I right away took my opponent down for a ground and pound (successfully I might add) but didn't paty much
    attention to the 4th odd man out. The 4th guy
    smashed me over the head with a beer bottle (which didn't shatter) but cut me open and knocked me right off my opponent. Half dazed, I clinched the guy and tried to take him down but the fuker bit my neck to the blood. I freaked and let him go to get him off
    me and he hit me again with the bottle.
    My friends were scrambling with the other guys until the bouncers finally decided to break things up and kick us all out.
    Once outside the fight continued though but I was feeling very ill (nausea, light headed), I'm not sure why, maybe the blows to the head, maybe the adrenaline surge, not to sure. The fight was now more verbal and consisted of lots of shoving and posturing with a few punched thrown here and there. It quickly escalated though and I took one of the guys down again, this time he was going berserk under me. I tried to maintain a mounted position but every wild buck this guy made ripped my knees to sh1t. I finally dropped my weight on him to control him and choke him out but he bit me again across my arm (I'm all scabbed up on my arm), I couldn't maintain a grip on him long enought to subdue him as he was literally going berserk under me. One of my friends then stomped him in the head while I held him down and this seemed to calm him down. In retrospect, that could have been me under
    there.

Needless to say, it was rude awakening. 22 stiches, busted up knees and about 5 bite marks later,
    it was the most horrible experience of my life. I will continue my training in MMA but I will most
    definitely be researching the more reality based systems like Rich and Sammy's. Anyone have any input on this?
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

3 on 4, getting smashed over the head with a beer bottle.

Ground and pound in a crowded bar? Mount rather than takedown, knee on stand up and soccer kick the daylights out of your opponent?

Sounds like this guy needs some situational awareness training.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

"Anyone have any input on this?"

Yeah, he needs a better "stand up" game.

Amen to that Abel. He needs to be able to determine WHEN you do things too.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

after he took him down a 'leg' kick to the side of the fallen guys head sounds like the right pescription… hope he got full blood work done at thr ER… being bitten is not cool… see, I have to tell my friends… 'yeah I fight but in a ring…' … that bar fights and push and shove stuff is TOO real... getting stomped out and hit with a beer bottle i aint tryin to feel... real life aint the octagon or whatever... i know i could handle myself but i really dont wanna find out... i like to drink my beer not get hit over the head with one...

OK Ryu you've listed stupid WC, TKD and MMA stories. How about a stupid JKD guy story, or is JKD and stupid redundant?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

JKD concepts is not real JKD.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

LMAO @ ewallace!

Rogue, I'll try and find one soon. Give me some time

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Hey Ryu, if you can't find any JKD disaster stories just post some stuff about the love lives of JKD guys.

I once got to see SifuAbel in a bar fight once. These five guys started talking smack to him about how Zink was the real monkey king. He went into a horse stance and snapped his fingers and these two big guys jumped on his legs. Well everyone thought it was pretty funny until he used the two guys like human nunchucks and just destroyed the five smack talkers with them. It was a sight I soon won't forget.

PS Sorry Abel but I couldn't resist.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

No offense to MMA guys but that is why Thai fighting and groundfinghting is more of a sport and Kung Fu and other mentioned arts are arts.

The art of rendering someone out of comission with one or two contacts with that person.

I know this discussion can go on and on, but truly it doesnt take a master of 500years to employ these techniques.

Peace

AOF
    Arhat of Fury

Arhat of Fury,

That point really only makes any sense if there were a lack of stories like this one related to various other arts. And there isn't a lack. There's an example on this same page.

Stuart B.

Any strong guy with a good right hand could have knocked the guy out instead of playing UFC with him.This is a question of common sense...You can always use ground skills if you are taken to the ground...(or fall!) to get back up as soon as possible.Unless you fight a lonely guy with no teeth!

(in my best pachino voice) oh....................funny

180 lbs. escrima sticks, dayum.

This does remind me of an incident some of my students got into at Bermuda Bar in N.miami beach.
    I don't know the intial details but the four of them basically cleared the bar. One of them was a state champ wrestler. He mostly sat on one guy and got a pool cue broken over his head. He held on, but the other guys had to go get him before the cops came.

LOL!!!

I can just picture a bunch of little Abel's going monkey nuts at a bar
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

::Yawn::

Who in their right mind would try to take someone to the ground in a multiple situation? Like someone else said earlier, you got to know when and where to do something.

MMA gives you tons of options. He said he had taken Thai boxing as a compliment to his Bjj training, that would have been a better option. A little Judo Nagewaza to compliment his newaza wouldn't have hurt either.