Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lam Sai Wing Books

ngokfei Guest

Lam Sai Wing Books

1st am in the process of having published various MA books from Chinese to English.

To get an idea of interest. How many here would buy LSW's Hung Gar books?

Also some one is sending me this 4th book on Training Theories an apparatus. I don't think it is by LSW anybody know who did it?

Any other ideas for publishing?

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

MaFuYee Guest
    lies! lies!! all lies!!!

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
    -- Albert Einstein

Lilian Wong Guest
    The books of LSW already have been published in English www.quandoman.com
    This person has permission of the Lam family.

ngokfei Guest
    The more the better.

1. Have checked and the books are in the free domain and are not controled by the Lam family.

2. His books claim to be interpretations. These will be direct translations. Nothing added nothing deleted

3. Also mine will be quite alot cheaper. All volumes will be combined into one at only $35. Quite a savings.

:D

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

PlasticSquirrel Guest

sounds really cool

if i practiced hung gar, i'd definitely, definitely buy it.

other good candidates might be sun lutang's books, books on taijiquan, and on baguazhang. baguazhang is in need of books as a whole, and taijiquan is in need of good books. not to mention that both have a good following, and that serious practitioners would definitely get a translated book by a reputable master.

MasterPhil Guest

They say: build it and they will come...

Sounds like a good plan.

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

Kung Lek Guest
    Sounds like a good idea and I am sure that practitioners and those who are just curious would buy the books.

But, as has been said, the Lam Sai Wing books are already available in english.

peace

Kung Lek

ngokfei Guest
    No plans to go into the internal styles as there have been many books translated already by good translators.

Books on our calendar include:

Lam Sai Wing's 3 books
    Lau Fat Mang's 3 books (not really by him)
    Chan Tzi Ching's 2 books
    Wong Hon Fun's Book Series (except the weapons, don't have those)
    Gao's Sifu book on Eagle Claw
    Liu Sifu's bok on Fan Tzi Chuan
    Ma Ying Tu's book on Pi Qua
    Zhu Sifu's book on Chuo Jiao
    Chan Sau Chung's 3 books on Tai Sing Pek Gwa

thats all right now but we have man others but unsure of the demand

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

MasterPhil Guest

Question

You said: "[I] am in the process of having published..." -- How far along the process are you?

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Just for your info, the Lam Sai Wing books actually aren't by him either. They're by his student, Jee Yu Jai.

I think it's a good idea to translate more old books. Most of the translations out there aren't very accurate. Do you have inside info on the metaphoric/symbolic meaning of certain words and phrases unique to hung gar?

sifuchuck Guest

why not just publish the translations on the web for free?

If the Lam Sai Wing books are in the public domain, then why not just publish the translations on the web for free? There is no reason why any more bound books need to be produced when the electronic media is available. What's the actual cost of translating the three books? Divey the cost between some Hung Gar brothers and publish for free. I'll chip in.
    chuck

ngokfei Guest
    All the books mentioned are almost ready for the printer. Self-published as I haven't been able to find a good publisher and still make a good profit. It costs alot to hire people to translate and then have those translations gone over by actual CMA. Good thing most of them are my friends who enjoy CMA enough to wait until they are printed and sold before being paid.

FREE??? Why. Alot of hard work. Nothing in this world is free except dying and even then cost your family $5,ooo for funeral costs.

:rolleyes:

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

Lilian Wong Guest
    The Lam Sai Wing books are copyrighted.
    NR. 235-904-13788 Hong Kong Patent Office.
    So you need permission.

L D S Guest
    Wondering: Does a Chinese/Hong Kong patent have any legalitty in the western countries?
    Does a translation also follow under the rules of this patent.

Even reprints of the original books are sold via the internet.
    web page

Ling

MasterPhil Guest
    Ling - Copyrights and patents are slightly different. Patents are only good in the country of filing unless filed through WIPO in which case it is valid for all the countries listed in the application. I'm not sure how copyrights work though, ie if it is international or not. I assume translations would fall under the same copyright protection but I'm not sure of that either.

NgokFei - I was asking to see how serious you were about your project. Many people don't understand the difference between a "dream" and a "goal". I would be interested as 35$ is very reasonable considering the work involved. Let me know when they're done, my email is in my profile.

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...