Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lam Sai Wing Books

sifuchuck Guest

Oh... You want to make a profit!

Oh... You want to make a profit! :rolleyes:

Well, ok. But how much does it cost you--a lot you say? How much is that in US Dollars? I'd like to get someone to translate some stuff for me--what's the going rate in NYORK?

And could you settle this on-going discussion about whether it's legal or moral to offer this for sale under current copyright/patent laws as pertains to this particular situation? I'd like to know.
    thanks,
    chuck

MasterPhil Guest

Sifuchuck...

I assume you were adressing your questions to ngokfei but since you didn't specify...

"You want to make a profit!" -- At 35$ it is not the big corporate profits he is after but more (correct me if wrong) a justified reward for his work/time and his associates' work.

"I'd like to get someone to translate some stuff for me--what's the going rate in NYORK?" -- Translators, like any other professional, have varying rates depending on their experience, quality, type of translation to be done, region you work in, etc. Look in your local yellow pages, call a couple translation agencies and see for yourself. Your info will be much more reliable this way.

"could you settle this on-going discussion about whether it's legal or moral to offer this for sale under current copyright/patent laws"

1) Legality and morality are 2 very different subjects not to be confused and mixed.
    2) Copyrights and patents are different but they are both legal matters. To give any kind of legal advice/opinion at this point would be foolish since we do not possess all the facts. In one sentence: It's more complicated than it looks ;)

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

sifuchuck Guest

well, actually....

Well, actually I was speaking to Ngokfei--hence the direct questions. I'm still interested in the NYORK rates for translations--he can always email them to me in private--so as not to let on to the world--I'll keep it all hush-hush--now this was directed to ST--but Ngokfei can answer--

As to my comment about profit--again it was for Ngokfei--but to answer ST--gawd this is getting confusing--I don't think I said anything about corporate profits. My eye--rolling was in response to Ngokfei's eye-rolling to me--he is a stranger to the concept of "free" stuff. I only mentioned it because I don't make profit from anything that has to do with Hung Gar and I sometimes forget that some people do. Not a judgement--just an observation.

Lastly--you said "we" don't have information about the legality/moral issue that is being discussed on this topic--Are you two guys working together? At any rate, I would think that anyone who has already gone through the expense and time to have three books translated and interpreted would have completely researched the legal/moral situation. That's why I asked him.

All this garbage I just spilled out is just to explain my previous post--I hope I was more clear this time. I really would rather hear Ngokfei answer the questions--than have others comment on the structure and content of the post. No malice here--As Joe Friday would say, "I just want the facts, Maam."

chuck

ngokfei Guest
    This copyright must be newly filed. I have original copies of the 3 books from the original publisher. They are now defunct. Also I have copies from numeorus publishers in different countries. Like to see this copyright enforced. Also remember that HK is now back under China. Nobody pays attention to China's Copyrights as they have infringed on other countries copyrights excessively. DVDs CD's, Software, Books you name it they've stolen it. My personal CD collection is more than 1/2 pirated copies made in China.

Translators usually charge $20 per document page. Try the UN or language department of a university. Only luck and connections will lead you to a Translator who is also a Martial ARtist.

Money. That's the name of the game. Got to find some way to replenish all that I've spent in the name of Martial ARTs.

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

sifuchuck Guest

Thanks

Thanks, Eric.

Good luck in your endeavors.
    chuck

MasterPhil Guest

Update

Ngok Fei: "All the books mentioned are almost ready for the printer." Aug.22nd

So how is your project coming along? I sent you an email but you haven't responded.

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

yik-wah-tik Guest

lam sai wing

can someone answer if lam sai wing originally learned choy lee fut before learning hung ga?

i was told by a hung ga stylist last night from l.a. that lam sai wing did learn clf before hung ga.

frank :p

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"

Kung Lek Guest
    The Butcher of Canton studying Choy Li Fut???

I've never heard that. Course, I've never heard a lot of things and quite a few things I've heard I heard wrong :D

peace

Kung Lek

yik-wah-tik Guest

lam sai wing

yeah,

i heard that he learned clf before going on to hung ga? usually it is the other way around.

but maybe it's worth checking out?

frank

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"

Kung Lek Guest
    well, his life as a kung fu man is fairly well documented. he even wrote a few books on the style of Hung Gar with dissertations on a few of the sets.

you may find some answers via wle.com.

say, have you ever heard of Leo Fong?

peace

Kung Lek

yik-wah-tik Guest

kung lek

yes,

i have heard of leo fong, he was a short time student of professor lau bun of our hung sing kwoon.

i know he has a book out on our cheung kuen. but it looks nothing like the we do it. it did actually have a lot of karate appeal to it.

if i tried to follow his set from the book i would be lost, but i would not like to disrepect my si bak.

frank

Lam Sai Wing Manual

I practice Hung Kuen or Hoong Jia Boxing, I am very interested in purchasing a Lam Sai Wing training manual for historys sake.

I was wondering whether or not any of you may be able to tell me where I could buy this, if possible. Specifically, I would like to purchase the Tiger and Crane double appearance set or Fu-Hok Seung Ying Kuen manual.

All help and advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

OFZ
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

check out sifu donald hamby's website, i think it is kwandoman.com (sp)? i think he has what your looking for.

Cheers

thanks, I'm just about to check it

..but it doesn't work, probably the spelling. D'oh.

Thanks anyway