Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What hand techniques?

What hand techniques?

When you're sparring, what hand techniques and tactics do you use?

The answer could be as simple as 'backfist.' But if you've got something more detailed (e.g., open up with jabs to cover my entry, then switch to hooks and uppercuts), by all means, let's hear it.

Stuart B.

jabs to enter and retreat. straight right for power if I see my jab is landing often, or if I see an opening. once I can get inside, hooks to the head and body, with an uppercut or two for good measure.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Fingercut to the eyes is my favorite tech, also backfist, and openhand hooks, and direct openhand punches to the face to disturb the vision.

Advancing step; step at a 45 degree angle, then again in the opposite at a 45 degree angle

or

zig-zag; step at a 45 degree angle but don't step the second time

Move forward with chain punches, then if I get in close, start using elbows
    I have a signature.

So SevenStar likes to box. Me too.

Tvebak, what is an open-hand punch? A palm strike sorta thing?

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Wait. One punch. Deflect. Repeat as necessary.
    Last edited by No_Know; 08-07-2002 at 12:55 PM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

No_Know, why wait for him to strike you?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Until it happens no one's successfully tried to hurt anyone. -ish. I usually have no cause to strike anyone. So I would wait to see if there's cause on my part to be significant. If person attacks I evade. If it seems not friendly (And I calculate risk to me and those in the area and outside the area--if the possible reprocussions get that big, every possible~ moment recalculating) I go for the disable--reason, intimidation or more.

If I go to attack I become vulnerable. I wait because If I have cause to hit. I can only then best see person's intent! Which indicates scale of my doing stuff and the directions I should go.

If I can't evade I stay near and deflect. Hand techniques as appropriate. Hopefully :~>
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

You seem to be discussing strikes. Defensively, I use the various "sao's" our blocks, 80% of which translate fine with gloves. Offensively, I like straight vertical fist punches from either hand, sometimes a low flat-fister to the body with a stance sink, occasional hooks, uppercuts and body shots from in close. I like to throw combos. "transferring" and the "running hand" are other favorite tactics. One punch that my sifu uses to great effectiveness against me is the whipping punch, it's a little like a downward angled backfist but much more powerful since it is set up off of our bon sao, giving it a shoulder-rotation energy and sinking the stance.

-FJ

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Pi and Beng Quan
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Good grief. It's like pulling flipping teeth.

Assume for a moment that I have no idea what that means, Xebsball. Something and something fist.

Stuart B.

Talking I liked Xebsball's answer.

It's a good topic ap, only difficult to see without knowing terms and principles. Especially since Chinese words mean different things to different people. My answer would be dissolving and diverting. In bagua we have 8 mother palms/fists/elbows/... In most Chinese styles there is no offense and defense persey. Defense becomes offense etc. etc. In bagua we make use of hidden hand to create openings. Strikes become grabs and turn into throws. Finger strikes become palms become fists than elbows, than shoulders etc. The main thing is continuos change and absolutely no set patterns. I could say that a hawk fist is an uppercut and Monkey fists can be jabs, but I won't.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I might like the answer too if I had any earthly idea what it meant. Meantime, it's a bit like sitting here trying to figure out what kind of complete berk would try to clap using just one hand.

As for my part, I favour a lot of tapi tapi and siko.

Oh right. I tend to catch and parry until I can follow something in, trap (okay, let's be honest: smother), and elbow.

Stuart B.

p.s. by some odd coincidence, 'monkey fists' was my nickname in high school.

i can't back that up.

Talking

So that explains your avatar. I know Pi is splitting I have felt Beng too, but I'll actually leave the explainations to the Hsing-I guys.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM