Thread: "New" taiji style?

"New" taiji style?

I was just talking to a local taiji quan school about the training they offer. I asked the style of taiji they teach, and he said Chen style, and another one I've never heard of, and can't remember. It might have begun with "m". I asked him what it was, and he said it was a new style used for competitions. Can someone give me some information on this style?

It could be a competition form of Chen Style?

I think more info is needed.
    ~ Eric Putkonen
    (Teaching Tai Chi Chuan in Plymouth, Minnesota)

Modern Taiji perhaps?

Hmmm

If you want to go to paltry competitions then learn it I suppose, however If you want to learn Taiji properly and get some use out of it avoid the competition styles. If he teaches it well, just go to the Chen style classes.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Mr. Monkey,

a bit closed minded eh?

Is that in keeping with Taiji principles ?

you do not have to call him Mr monkey...just monkey boy
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

MonkeyBoy Guest
    MonkeyBoy is taken.

Yi Quan is pronounced "Me Chuan" by some, maybe that's it. If less than 125 years is "new" that may be it.

new tai chi?

There have been shortened forms and adapted form and segmented forms but tai chi is tai chi.

It is generally accepted that the major styles are:

Chen

Yang

Sun

Wu

Wu contains two types those being "Hua" and "Jiang".

Pardon my poor romanization.

Nowadays, there are many who do not see much difference between qigong and tai chi, or at least in the results of the practice.

Any "new" style, is likely a continuance or a variation of the old. What counts are the driving principles behind the style. If they are sound, then that is what they are. But, give credit where credit is due.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ask him if he's had any mma fights or nhb or been in the ring. Then you'll know yoour going to a school of choice.

beautifulvaley,

Are you 13 or 14? I can't remember which. Anyway, Shooter from this forum is the only MMA/NHB guy on the planet whom I would trust to have even the slightest clue what real Taijiquan is about. Why should any prospective student give any credibility whatsoever as to what a practictioner of Boxing, Muay Thai, or BJJ thought was real Taiji?
    "Bagua can look pretty, especially when you wave your hands around alot and walk really fast and bounce back and forth like a goof." -- Braden

Talking

neither, but i'm sure your at least 13 or 14 times older than I am ya old prune."Why should any prospective student give any credibility whatsoever as to what a practictioner of Boxing, Muay Thai, or BJJ thought was real Taiji"?. or a tai chi palyer?

new tai chi...

There actually is a new Taiji, if that is possible.

Most know it as the Chen Pan Ling style, but I think Chinese folks may know it as the Nanking Committee Taiji...It was developed under the tutelage of Master Chen Pan Ling, a well known Taiji, Hsing I, and Ba Gua student and Lao Shr, as head of the Central Martial Arts Institute (Chung Yang Kuo Shu Kuan) founded in 1928 at Nanking (then capitol of Chinese Nationalist Govt)
    This committee was assigned the task of collecting, documenting and preserving the Chung Kuo Kuo Shu, or Chinese National Martial Arts. There was developed a style that contained elements of the Five Old School Family styles in one long form of 99 movements or postures.
    The very expressive Buddha Pound Morter jin na is from the Chen Style, the large frame boxing form is from what my Sifu calls the 'Old Yang Form' (presumably what was taught to the Ching Emperors by Yang Lu Chan) and entails Kung Hsiung Pa Pei or "Firming the Back and Hollowing the Chest with Inclined Torso" (Like Chang Quan). Other intricasies of the form include Chan Si Ching or Silk Reeling movements in the internal movement of chi and outward 'turning-spiraling' appearance, as well as vigorous kicks, strikes and fa jing which also harken back to the Old Chen Style.
    There is apparently a lot of contention surrounding this style of Taiji, most of which seems centered around whether or not Hsing I and Ba Gua principles and techniques were also worked into the mix. As Chen Lao Shr was a widely studied lineage master of Ba Gua in the Tung Hai-chuan Lineage and lineage master of Hsing I
    under Liu Chi-lan, it does not strike me as too out of sight.
    Ive been studying Chen Pan Ling Taiji for about two years now and my Sifu definately concentrates on Hsin I and Ba Gua training in synch with this form.

Anyway, sorry if this was a long post, but this is more than likely the newest Taiji out there really....except for Kungrobics and that kind of crap

Oh yeah, we also have a Shortened Competition Form and I personally think that in the first few years of Tai Chi training it is good to participate in such events. For me it is a learning experience, especially at smaller, regional tournaments where judges give feedback on one's performance. Competition is a matter of perception in itself, and if Taiji is not about that I dont know what its about...except posture....of course....posture....
    "Strong Reed Bends with Breeze,
    Weak Reed Stands Strong and is Brittle Before the Torrent."

bv,

Just having you on, bud. Glad to see you guys are still working it. Say hi to Shooter for me, and ask him what he thinks of phosphorized dummy loads for ACP for me.
    "Bagua can look pretty, especially when you wave your hands around alot and walk really fast and bounce back and forth like a goof." -- Braden

Talking

I know that.k i'll ask him on saturday. kill anybody with a knife lately

Unhappy

shooter says he doesn't have a clue what your talking about, sorry