Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TKD vs. No training MPG see it in its entirety

Stacey Guest
    American TKD is pathetic. I'm not supprised by that at all. The TKD blackbelt going down is a cliche.

the trouble is that most of them are skinny geeks to begin with. Their art isn't that realistic and gives them the huge self esteem boost because they believe they can defend themselves.

I'm not that high in my art and the slightest knowlege of leg wrestling or infighting, is usually more than they can handle....if you have a few good angles and get to their back gate, they are done.

Originally posted by neito
    in tkd point sparring you can win by knockout
    Yea...by you(the winner) being knocked out!
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Pathetic

People fight the way they train. Its pathetic to see someone land a kick, whatever it is, with their hands down and not even think to punch when in punching range. Then to back out and look to re-engage? You wonder why they get a bad wrap. If you want to do tournaments, more power to you. Just don't tell me its real fighting. Both Street guy and TKD would get his a$$ handed to them by a real fighter. Street guy just got lucky this time.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

For the record, the TKD that I do looks absolutly nothing like what the, cough, cough..., TKD black belt did in that movie.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

attention stacey

you said:
    "the trouble is that most of them are skinny geeks
    to begin with."

i am a skinny geek, and i take offense at that remark.
    i am not a TKD guy and i have taken guys down
    that were twice my size. i just know how to hit, thanks
    to my teachers good training and my decent application
    of mechanics. so its not the size of the man in the fight,
    its the size of the fight in the man. dont forget that.
    just because all of us arent super beefy, doesnt mean
    we arent capable. would you like to hear me say that
    i thought they both fought like girls in that clip?

anyways, it boils down the the singular person.
    some people have it and some people dont.
    there are guys i can beat with my training, and guys
    with no training that can beat me. i have no problem
    admitting this.

and what felipe says is absolutely dead on....
    cross hands with a guy who has little training, and
    you hold back a little.... WHAM you get hit and all of
    a sudden "hey dude, your kung fu sucks... i walked
    all over you" OR....
    WHAM he strikes, you block and cause him pain.
    "hey dude! i thought your kung fu teaches you to
    not hurt anyone? whats up with that?"

heres another one, i was at a club one time with
    a guy i know who does wing chun (or one of those
    derivatives) and we were both sober, by the way.
    he was showing me a couple of things and well,
    my perception is when a guy is going to show you
    something, ya sorta take it for granted that he is
    going to control himself some right? so i stick my
    hands up like he showed, then he moved a little.
    i think he expected me to block or something, which
    i didnt because my expectation was on an informal
    level.
    he says: "so when i do -this-" and moves his hand
    over my arm and says: "AWWW you shoulda BLOCKED!"

next thing you know he is telling me
    about my reflexes being bad, and me not being sensitive
    enough to deal with wing chun attacks.

another story--
    a few weeks ago, i was playing grab-@ss with a
    girlfriend of mine. she started to get a little out of control
    and i wanted her to stop because it was no longer fun
    for me.
    (some women just cant understand the words "PLEASE STOP")

so in order to protect myself (i am skinny remember? i
    dont have brute strength) i had to grab her forehead and place
    my index finger under her nose and press backwards until
    she started to tighten up and stop flailing.

it earned me a night on the couch, but it saved my
    private parts from getting squashed.

Hmmm, sounds like my honeymoon. My nose hurt all week.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Question

Was with ya up until the girlfriend story, dude. This says it all for me.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Wow.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Ryu doesn't understand the words "PLEASE STOP"

"No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Thumbs up

Not in HKE mode, darn it!
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Devil's advocate

Beleive me, i have seen far worse black belts at my girl friend's take ones dough school! This guy actually seems like one of the "awesome" ones she is always telling me about.

I would say actually that the tae kwondo guy did better than i thought, i also don't think he got destroyed but for the groin shot. If he had been using hands (and i think i saw him WANTING use hands lol) than i think he woulda taken the kid with book smarts. The kid with book smarts just stuck his leg out and got lucky..never would have worked against someone who could actually throw those kicks!! ..that's why i don't kick that much, its hard to be a good kicker!

They were both lame although atleast TKD at tht school is not as bad as the garb i see here!
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Okay, what I saw was the TKD practitioner take all the initiative, kick, then raise his arms to as if to punch. The "street guy" would turn his head momentarily at the impending punch, then respond when nothing seemed to happen. Then lather, rinse, repeat. They both had their hands low and both should have probably been hit more often they were.

However, I don't have any context for this video. I don't know what was the "street guy" intent for the sparring session or the TKDers; the situation surrounding it; or why their was someone there to tape it.

I don't think it would be rational, logical, or proper to gleen from this video the combat worthiness of TKD or either practitioner. I've seen those bad habit put on display by almost everyone I've every seen spar or fight at numerous points in their martial careers.

The TKD guy used TKD. The "street guy" went for the groin. 'Nuff said.

If you read the other forum where this video came from, apparently the TKD guy was talking a lot of trash and the "street" guy stood up to him. Guess they knew each other. From the street guys words, he went over to the school, as invited by the TKD guy and they told him to put on head gear. I guess they didn't really like one another and thought this was a good way to duke it out.

I think its absolutely worthy from the video to see if this school's TKD was combat worthy. It was absolutely NOT. The guy was a black belt, yes he used TKD, and no it wouldn't have been effective at all against someone who knew anything. Don't kid yourself.

I'm not attacking all TKD. I don't care enough to do that. I'm also not judging TKD by this guy. I'm just saying that, at this school this guy got a black belt and couldn't fight.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Re: Devil's advocate

Originally posted by Rolling Elbow
    Beleive me, i have seen far worse black belts at my girl friend's take ones dough school! This guy actually seems like one of the "awesome" ones she is always telling me about.
    As in all things, you should never generalize. While this young dude had his black belt, all bought and paid for. He obviously could not punch, and his kicks were an exercise in head-hunting. The kicks that were displayed in the video are foot-slaps, lacking power and control. The punches are non-existent. This is what happens when martial arts are turned into sports and dojos/dojangs become belt factories. I'm sure this guy could do all sorts of fancy jumping and spinning techniques that are required in the sport. They are very nice for demos as well. However, that translates poorly in practical self-defence or even good fighting technique.

Having said this, what we are seeing here is tournament-type TKD and being a reformed TKD guy myself I can tell you for certain, that there are TKD black belts who can tear you apart. They are however, in my opinion, the exception rather the rule. My point is that you should not assume that because someone is a TKD BB, that they will fight in this sloppy manner.

Matrix

Angry

i can't believe i actually spent 1/2 an hour downloading this clip

Bullocks is all i can say to that... my original commentary still stands imo

I still can't see why ppl make so many generalizations on TKD... maybe that is the case in the US i dunno, but in the UK there are some pretty good ppl, and some can even use their hands as well

a good teacher who understands the skill (with no Mc financial incentive) plus a willing student who practises hard usually gives agood development and understanding of the skill, no matter what the skill...

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.