Thread: What Is The Difference Between Gracie and Machado JJ

Question What Is The Difference Between Gracie and Machado JJ

Hey Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone could please clarify the difference between Gracie and Machado JJ? Is there a difference in philosophy or execution of technique? Also, can anyone give me any background on Dan Zan Ryu JJ and how it compares to BJJ? Any and all info is appreciated.

HANG LOOSE AND BE COOL,

ACE

The Machados are known, generally speaking, to have a high sport BJJ focus.

Gracie JJ theoretically is more "self defense" oriented, if you listen to Rorian's hype.

Personally, I think you'll find that good BJJ is good BJJ whether it's Machado, Gracie, Dalla, De La Riva, Jacare, whatever.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up Dan zan ryu...letīs see

http://www.danzanryu.org/dlinks.php
    http://www.danzan.com/

These are some of the best sites,I believe.
    Canīt say anything else as those sites are virtually all I know about the style.
    Cheers.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Tough to tell a difference...I have heard that the Machado side is a little more wrestling oriented. I've rolled with both and can't tell.

Really, though, all the variation is from school to school.