I don't think that people have become any easier to fool in the last two hundred years. People believed anything before the information age's roots with the mass-production of newspapers... flat earth, mermaids, anthropaphagi, people rising from the dead, people receiving instructions from some being in the sky, nuclear derived power being safe... oh wait... DOH !!!

Seriously though... There are more stupid people in the world today simply because there are more people in the world today. I think most of them are much harder to fool nowadays, cos the info is only a question to the right person away, a click away, a TV programme away... and sure the info may be wrong, but it still gets people suspicious of what they're told.

And I agree with MAFanatic... ... the access to good info about, and the opportunity to practise, and the learning and practise to critically analyse what you are practising are currently at their maximum.

But I rather think that Humans 100yrs ago were more capapble of pushing themselves further and harder than their modern day equivalent.

Which humans, Shadow?! In which situations? As DZ says, a lot of them had to face hardship in every day life... but they weren't training for it, they were living it, and it was always the elite or the professionals (in some MA cases, the army) who had the luxury of training.

Sure the average person may have had to have pushed themselves harder to get out of bed, but modern athletes are faster, stronger and better than those 100 years ago due to the science in training available.