Thread: Training a young one.

Question Training a young one.

My question is, if you wanted your kid to train in a TMA, what would you direct him towards in order to help him to be more prepared in his chosen art. I've seen guys who come from karate join our school and they have lots of habits that are hard to break especially when it comes to fluidity.

From my experience, Chinese arts are extremely technical and kids don't have the concentration for it, Karate and TKD are more accesible as its more fun and more sport-orientated.

My only answer was, Gymnastics...but he runs the risk of becoming top-heavy, or dancing.

More traditional sports such as football(soccer),basketball, baseball, cricket, rugby which tends to deal with a lot of body dynamics in order to maximise performances was my only answer...

Thoughts?
    "Bearing and nurturing,
    Creating but not owning,
    Giving without demanding,
    This is harmony."
    "Tao De Ching" - Lao Tze

Thumbs up

I think all you can do is support the child on his/her way (if it has been "chosen") Young one´s focus (mind) may change at times.
    If he wants MA,may he go for it,if baseball,that´s good too.
    You can tell him/her about the arts,what they include and what benefits may come by.
    My quickly written post.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Really good question.

I'd recommend gymnastics on a moderate basis eg twice a week so they'll pick up the fundementals and body awareness yet still avoiding injuries.

Dance is good but the type of dance that I think would give best results is ballet. Good for flexibility and body awareness. Don't know what you'd think of having a son doing ballet though.

Personally I'd choose modern wushu. Great for flexibility, body awareness and introduces martial arts to the kid. Later as they grow older and more mature I'd introduce the traditional stuff and 'fix' any bad habits they may have from wushu. Despite what some may say, it's easy to both a wushu and traditional form correctly.

Hope it helps

Kilik.

Tough one that I have been asking myself as well.

Here is what me and my Wife decided.
    First our small one already knows that we do MA as we take him with to the Dojo/Kwoon/Dojang occasionally.

He is also now at an age where he copies whatever Mama & Papa do (good or bad ).

If he later on wants to learn MA or sports or whatever we will let him try it out and than if he wants to go deeper into it, he will have the opportunity to do so.

In no way will we force/push him to attend anything that he doesn't want to or that we feel he needs to as we:
    a.) never had the opportunity
    b.) paid money, so the little critter better perform
    c.) because it worked for us therfore it must work for him
    d.) do it so he can be better than the other Kids
    e.) be the sports star we could never be
    f.) make US lots of money by excelling at the things he does.

Hope this helps.

Peace.

My son studies 7*PM, we train together, he's 13, my other son who is only 3 months, will start training at 3 or 4.

I think that when you start them young it becomes habit like eating or taking a shower, they don’t know any different so they "just do" so by the time they become older, they have already watched Daddy practice and watched older brother do his forms, there interest is already there, now its to keep them focused during the teenager years, now that gets a little harder.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

Also, a good school should run kid's classes that are a lot less complex than the whole system. Once they hit 16 (or whatever) and move into the adult classes they should start to learn the greater complexity of the art in which they have a fantastic foundation.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Make it a game

My oldest son is now 6 and has been "training" for 3 years now. Make it a game, don't be picky. Kids love to fight and spar so teach him about position and what can be done from where. DO NOT OVERTEACH!!!!!

My boy has about 4-5 solid throws, good hands, a solid thai roundhouse, and split my lip with an elbow last week.

Again, just have fun.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Water, just keep doing what your doing. Don't fall into the "Karate" is better for kids nonsense due to it's simplicity. Teach him Kung Fu and just break it down for him that's all. Better to teach him right the first time then for him to have to go and un learn and start over later.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    Water, just keep doing what your doing. Don't fall into the "Karate" is better for kids nonsense due to it's simplicity. Teach him Kung Fu and just break it down for him that's all. Better to teach him right the first time then for him to have to go and un learn and start over later.
    That’s so true, my son did Kempo for 2yrs till green belt, and he started getting bored, it was too simple, plus he didn’t buy into half of the things he was taught, sometimes kids can just see, things that we can't.

Now that he has been doing 7*, he really spends time working on his KF, when I have time we train together, we can see each others progress, plus he trains 1 hour each night after homework, on his own, Kung Fu all the way!

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

Just teach him the basics of Kung fu and try to make it fun. I wouldn't recommend any other martial arts as preparation - they all have the potential to impart bad habits.

i would suggest (i have no kids but i still feel this would work) a foundation before training in any way of ma (unless you convert the ma to really simple body training technique) so that you have a good understanding of body mechanics before you begin when you get older (15 or so, depending on maturity)
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

kids are kids

i think you should just enroll him in a chinese MA class, and unless he has something better to do, keep him in there. it's my firm belief that all children should have some sort of sport they play atleast 3 hrs a week.

i mean, it's great if he likes it but really i dont think you should be preparing him by choosing another style...i think he should start out in a style that u think he'll enjoy.

also, Respectmankind, your not suggesting that someone should be 15 before he/she starts training are you?
    because from personal experience and observations, if you start at a young age before you grow and you continue, you will be a lot better than if you start at 15.

i think, depending on the child, even 5 years old is ok to start learning, but it depends on the child, most i prefer to be about 7 or 8 when they enter class because they have a little more coordination and motor skills.
    Last edited by CrushingFist; 08-13-2002 at 04:41 AM.