Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something I'm really tired to hear about!

Angry Something I'm really tired to hear about!

...The damned excuses about not being allowed to use eyegauges and other "lethal" strikes of the kind for Kung Fu lack of succes in MMA competitions!...We don't need these things at all and it is ridiculous to compare these things to true skill.
    In my opinion,If,you can eyegauge a guy,you could as well punch him hard on the nose and follow the rules of the moment.
    The solution is simply to train harder than the other guy!...And to mean business!

Dittos OJ! I've never understood how 2,000 years of development boils down to eye gouges and groin shots.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Yep my sentiments exactly, whats to stop the MMA practioner pulling your ears or eyes out. Nothing. The only considerations in a fight are moral ones as (bob10 put it).

I see myself as a traditional martial artist, but I also train in MMA and these guys are good, all they have to develop (if they do not have it already) is the instinctive nasty elements of their art, and it aint difficult applying the principles of TC to their methods, so what I have learnt from IMA is useful in MMA.

So both sides need to quit bashing each other, cause I can see both points of view because I sit in both camps.

"So both sides need to quit bashing each other, cause I can see both points of view because I sit in both camps."

You must have a heckuva big ass!

Anyway, yeah. Mostly what I study is sensitivity to my partners movement, good body structure, and strategies for hard takedowns and avoiding hard takedowns. That's what I call kungfu!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Yep its the size of a small village

i think the reason is..........

that alot of guys will se a UFC fight(i am one of those guys) and the adrenaline from just watching a UFC fight will get pumping and you will go into this mode where "what if i was in the ring?" we automatically gravitate towards eye gouging groin shots because that is the survival instinct we associate the fight with,,Alife and death situation. But a UFC fight is NOT a life and death situation,,,not outwardly anyway,,you could get punched in the head and suffer a brain hemmorrage or get yout trachia crushed from a choke out,,,,,you could get shot walking your dog,,,or drop dead due to mysterious causes,,,the list goes on and on.
    from a point of view of a guy,like myself who would neverget in a UFC ring no matter HOW much you paid me,,,i tend to be on the side of the survivalists that would not want to be INHIBITED in anyway from utilizing survival skills to end a fight.
    more power to the UFC guys who wish to make it thier living brutalizing others to satisfy thier own ego and ability. they are ring warriors and i would love to have any one of them as an ally rather than an enemy. but if it came down to it,,,,i am sure as hell gonna go for your nads,,poke uot your eyes and crush that throat to end your existance so that mine can continue.

Many respects,,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Anybody can eyegauge or try to knee or kick the balls but I don't have spent years of my life doing my best to understand and perfect my art to relie on dirty tricks.MMA competitions are not life and death things and Big John Mc something will always be there to save you if needed!...I prefer to be able to punch hard,have good timing and have solid defenses against the usual attacks of MMA's.
    The street is another business and I agree that sometimes we might be forced to use dirty tactics in self-defense but,these tactics must be part of a solid system,not things like; He does that,I do this shit !

i understand what you are saying

but you have to realize that if you are just sparring for tactics and not for the street then if you keep on training for the ring,,,that "ingramatic" pattern you train towrds will cross over to the street and it might be a tad detrimental to you, when i say "ingram" i mean when you do something over and over you get accustomed to just that. thats why we see TKD and JKD guys get pummled for thier "Tactics" are that of the tournament, and not survival skills. i dont train for the "ring" or for the tournamnet. i train to preserve my life,,not to be a bruno bruiser.
    in sparring there is a point at which a person does not go beyond,,,but you get to that boundary and you stop. for ex: we spar and we are duking it out and i manage or you manage to get around me for the choke or the neck strike, one or the other yields and then we reset.
    all exchanges in the sparring that i have done in the past have been to that end. but i respect what your training methods are Old Jong.

Many respects,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Wink The Willow Sword

I understand what you mean but I'm sure that like me you will do your best to control your emotions in the advent of a street confrontation and try not to become the agressor and end up in court charged with attempted murder.I prefer to use my Biu Gee technique (as an example) in a defensive way to get acces to an opponent center instead of poking his eyes out.I could do it if I wanted or forced to but I think that a broken nose and a couple of black eyes will not put me in the same kind of trouble in the face of the law.We always have the choice and the more dangerous the situation (number of opponents,weapons etc),the more dangerous I will become.It will be on a voluntary base ,not on ingraned moves.
    BTW, My art is not a sport oriented thing so maybe I have not to adapt as much as some other styles like TKD (as an example) for the real world.

more power to the UFC guys who wish to make it thier living brutalizing others to satisfy thier own ego and ability.
    More power to the Kung Fu guys who wish to make it their living sniping at each other about lineage and practicing flowery useless forms.

See? I can make unsubstantiated "insights" into the minds of other people too.

Objection your honor--speculation....
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

again, i fail to see how competing in a venue in which you're absolutely bound to get beaten at some point is a way to satisfy the ego. seems to me that you have to have a realistic sense of your own limitations if you're going to stay on the NHB scene for very long.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Right on OJ. It does nothing but belittle your art if that's what you have to fall back on.

I agree with ap.

Sure there are people with egos in the ring, but big-headed, over-inflated egos are not exclusive to MMA.

A jerk is a jerk, no matter what style he is doing.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Red face Merryprankster

oh im sorry,,was that "unsubstantiated" hmm geee why do i even speak? i guess that all those guys are in the ring for world peace or the betterment of society. goodness gracious me im so sorry.

ok so why do YOU get into the ring?

Many respects,,The Willow Sword
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 08-09-2002 at 01:39 PM.

1. maybe because they like the competition and accept the violence as part of the sport
    2. maybe because it's the only thing they do well, and ring sports are about the only legit and legal way of beating someone up and getting paid for it
    3. feel they owe it to themselves to see if they could succeed at it or not
    4. want to test the legitimacy of what they've learned in a controlled environment
    5. are, in fact, neandertals after all
    6. are just plain old sadists
    7. consider violence a fact of life and just try to be the best at something that comes natural to humans
    8. think that winning would be really special and accept that anyone else who steps into the ring has accepted the same risks and the appropriate levels of violence yet still wants to try
    9. feels the need to coninually test their own progress and abilities

those are all reasons, and aside from 5 and 6, i think they're each legit. some people compete on supermarket sweep (or other shopping game show) and prove to the world that, on tv, they're the best grocery shoppers around. some people swim in synchrony with another equally silly-dressed person and compete. and some people get in a ring, bash other up, and call it fun.

different strokes for different ... um ... darn. forgot the rest of it.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA