Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Good Grappler....

I wish someone would give me the good grappler treatment
    Tapped Out

Trust me when I tell you you guys have got me turned on to the internal arts and SC. More later! Rushed!!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Braden Guest
    The internal arts definitely train sensitivity. Like the classical grappling styles, they strongly emphasize constant contact with the opponent, and it's often remarked that their main difficulty is getting there (up close and in contact).

However, the sensitivity is alot different, at least for the grappling and internals I've seen. Generally, internalists seem very keen on the idea of not putting any of your weight on your partner. Judoka and wrestlers I've seen, relatively speaking, seem to almost hang off their partners while grappling.

Off the topic: rogue -> Welcome to the dark side.

MP, or others -> Can you give any tips on finding a greco-roman wrestling group? The wrestlers around here seem to only train during the school year, and I can't find any reference to greco-roman (although they've competed in G-R rules competitions), or even normal classes. What's the deal? Can a post-high-schooler show up and train greco 'casually' anywhere? Danke.

There aren't that many greco clubs. You might try usawrestling. I am unsure if it is .org or .com though. I want to say that minnesota is a hotbed and so is CA... but don't quote me.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    ok, MerryP, i was hoping you would at least semi-flip-out with my post...

now back to trolling high school...
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

ShauiChiao

is the sh!t...Just got back from my 2nd SC seminar, given by our own MonkeySlap Too...ouch, my body hurts--These throws CAN end a fight, especially if the opponent is untrained. But against an experience opponent of similar level, IMO would most likely result in knocking the wind out, maybe fracturing a hip, and you are in a good position having not sacrificed your own balance to get the other guy to the floor. I would be as scared to fight a SC expert just as much as any other CMA expert who specialized in eye-gouging or throat-ripping or whatever. I think that Shaui Chiao is a complicated art, I don't think rank beginners could apply it against a resisting opponent. However, the serious players train very hard and usually in a format with heavy sparring like San Da. Shaui Chiao is a little like judo except that more damage is done. Let's say you unbalance your opponent and throw them with an upper-body throw. As your opponent goes down SC will kick his leg out from under him so his lower body flips into the air, increasing the impact. Some of the throws (not all) will dump you on your head. For these, usually the throw is practiced PAST that point, so that your partner flips over and has a chance to fall without injuring himself.
    Did I say ouch already? We must have thrown and been thrown at least 50-75 times in that seminar. We would break off into groups of 6 or 7 and each player would throw everyone else. My thighs hurt from the stancework, too.

Ok fine but I still say your bjj lineage sucks
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

internal stuff, my view

Merry Prankster, I have done a little bit of Tai Chi and Ba Gua, it's good but sometimes kind of diluted (as in a lot more for health than fighting) and other times the people you train with can be, well, weird. Some people seem to be attracted to it because they think they will be able to shoot fireballs or something, and they can be a pain to deal with. If you see people doing lots of drills where they try to "freeze" an arm (like an armdrag) or push and pull the other guy off balance then it could be a good place. Check they are not doing an "abbreviated form" with less than 50 moves in it because these places are just doing the Chinese government Aerobics for the Elderly style Tai Chi which is a bit stripped down and best for the old ladies in the park. Also, dealing with traditional Chinese teachers can be awkward, because they will expect things from you that you don't really know about. You could find yourself mopping floors and lion dancing on top of what you pay for lessons (being the entertainment at a Chinese wedding is quite an experience). It can help with all those aches and pains from grappling though which is almost enough in itself.

By the way, Electric Kool Ade Acid Test is a great book!
    "This amazing video will cover several never-before-revealed secrets of Combat Conditioning as well as the master keys to George W. Bush being able to stand proud and tall after defeating Saddam Hussein in a no-holds-barred fight. Order your copy today. Only $29.95 plus $7 S&H U.S. "

http://www.bush-saddam.com/

Ah well, screw that then. I'm nobody's *****. I pay them for a service, and will work hard to learn, but that's it. Done deal.

Lion Dancing is fun.

"Question, do you have to fall off of a bicycle head first over the handle bars onto the sidewalk to know that you could and probually would get a fractued scull or a concussion a the least??"

Interestingly, when I was 8 or 9, I fell head-first over the handle bars of a bike (my older brother's bike. It was too big for me). I hit forehead first on the street and got scratched up and a good bump there. I know it really doesn't prove anything, but I didn't have a concussion or any serious injury.

OT: I don't have a scar or anything on my head, but to this day it feels strangely relaxing when I press my thumb on the spot where I hit.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

When I was 17, my best friend was competing in the state gymnastic finals, was warming up, and messed up. He was one of the top ranked gymnasts that year, what he was doing was simple, but he just had one bad moment, mistimed a jump. The first part of his body to touch the ground was his forehead. The next part was his heels. His forehead was still touching at the time.

It took an experimental neck brace to even move him without severing his spinal cord. This was all without the assistance of someone attempting to impart further force, a la, a throw.

I trump your happy anecdote with my morbid one.

BTW, today, he's fine. Does kung fu, is in great physical shape, is 32, and knows that throws can be nasty.

There's a reason pads were invented.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

That's quite scary, KC. I'm a bit freaked out by this. Must calm myself... (pressing thumb to forehead) Aaahhh, feeling better already.

BTW, I happy and relieved to hear about his amazing recovery.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    i love this ****, lol
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is an excellent movie.

And that's an interesting point that was brought up wrt chinese style grappling trying to keep body weight off the opponent. I'm a big guy, so I sort of instinctively try to use my mass in sparring and drills to try and mke things hard on my opponent. For the more inexperienced types it works like a charm, but against my teacher or advanced students I find it to be a counterproductive strategy, because they 'sandwich' me in a hold with their body and a free limb or just move out of the way of my weight, sending me flying.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

MP- I was alittle cranky the day I put that rolleyes thing there. I usually really enjoy your posts but that one smacked of false humility(somthing I can't stand) It seemed like you were trying to convince us your aren't a superman, and I think you were assuming our opinons of you were more than they are. So saying "hey I suck at such and such... is IMO a little egotistical
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/