Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in potential instructors?

Question What do you look for in potential instructors?

I have a question. Say you were to take on an assitant instructor. What qualities would be most important for the potential candidate to possess? I ask this because I'm involved in a mini-dispute right now at my own school, where I am continually refused entrance into the assistant instructor program.
    I suspect that my sifu is power tripping(again). Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy, but sometimes his status goes to his head, unfortunately.

At first, I heeded his word when he said I wasn't ready yet(which was 13 months ago). Now I think he's full of it. When I asked him about it earlier this week he told me that if it were up to the headmaster of the school I wouldn't even be a student there. Quite the response to my question of what areas I need to work on in order to "qualify" for the program. He never told me what I lacked or what I needed to do. He always gave me some vague spiel about never giving up, blah, blah, etc. You know, I always ask him very politely and all I get is vagueness.

Da mnit, I AM a good person. I know I am and I know I deserve to be in that program. It just feels so RIGHT and it is so frustrating to be kept from it and to witness his hypocrosy. I managed to glean a scant bit of useful information from him earlier this week, where he very non chanlantly told me that it takes "balance and maturity" to be in the program. Well, compared to the person he has in the program now, I am a PARAGON of balance and maturity. bah, I just don't know what to do. Whatever.
    Last edited by IllusoryNeptune; 08-13-2002 at 01:48 PM.

You need to go to the headmaster and arrange a meeting between you and the instructor in question.

Politely but forcefully talk to the head instructor of what was said to and about you. Keep in mind that you are paying $$$ to become fully trained. If the answer I received I didn't like, I'd quit classes right there.

From the looks of things, this instructor is not somebody WORTHY of having you as an assistant.
    Last edited by HuangKaiVun; 08-13-2002 at 02:22 PM.

You are right, its a power thing. It might be time to find a new school. Ct is full of good schools and there is now reason to be with someone who is not interested in giving you a good education.

Qualities of an instructor or assistant...I would look for dedication, honesty, technical expertise, understanding of the material, also enthusiasm and ability to motivate others. Overall, someone who is a good example for other students. Also, potentially someone who is a good representative for the style or school, so that new prospects are impressed and/or new students are motivated to continue. That is a secondary consideration, though. (I think)

Being a good example for others is number One. That is the primary function of an assistant instructor.

Thanks for the replies. I know my time at my school is coming to an end, but I'm still hesitant about leaving. All the other people there are great and I have a lot of fun there training with them, it's just that I think I have a severe personality conflict with my Sifu. Fortunately, the majority of my instruction comes from another instructor.

Could anyone suggest some good schools in CT? Most of the ones in the phone book don't seem appealing. Perhaps someone knows of some unlisted schools? Thanks.

IllusoryNeptune.

Can I ask you what the length of your training at that school is?
    Your profile states 1yr, but in your first post you mention that you were turned down 13months ago.

Speak to the head Teacher and the other teacher.
    Also ask them what THEIR criteria is admitting people to the program.

Maybe that program is full and they got no more openings at that moment for assistant Instructors now or in the foreseeable future.

Maybe you are simply refused access to the program because you are too eager/pushy to be in there or still not considered good enough.

it could be a variety of things. IME, people don' just become Assistant instructors because they feel that they should be.

It could also be a "power thing", but that is hard to decide from a Thread as this.
    If it is a power thing there is nothing you can do besides leave, as the person in charge will choose people that suit him.

Peace.

IllusoryNeptune.

Having looked at the 2 Threads started by you I think the problem might not be your Instructor, but might lie with you and your perception of MA.

I get the feeling that you want too much too soon and thus have alienated your Instructors through your actions and demands.

Peace.

Ultimately, the person at the top decides who advances. If they don't think you should advance - whatever their reasons - then you do not advance. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

The simple fact is that whatever criteria is being used to gain entry into the program, you don't seem to fit it. And yes, whether the head instructor's likes you or not does matter because he has to teach you and work with you.

You cannot force them to accept you into their instructor program. Even if you did, what would that achieve?

In my (limited) experience in MA, people are invited to join instructor programs, they do not demand entry into them.

[Edit] I am sorry if I sound harsh, but that is the way I see it.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Re: What do you look for in potential instructors?

Originally posted by IllusoryNeptune
    At first, I heeded his word when he said I wasn't ready yet(which was 13 months ago). Now I think he's full of it. When I asked him about it earlier this week he told me that if it were up to the headmaster of the school I wouldn't even be a student there. Quite the response to my question of what areas I need to work on in order to "qualify" for the program. He never told me what I lacked or what I needed to do. He always gave me some vague spiel about never giving up, blah, blah, etc. You know, I always ask him very politely and all I get is vagueness.

Da mnit, I AM a good person. I know I am and I know I deserve to be in that program. It just feels so RIGHT and it is so frustrating to be kept from it and to witness his hypocrosy. I managed to glean a scant bit of useful information from him earlier this week, where he very non chanlantly told me that it takes "balance and maturity" to be in the program. Well, compared to the person he has in the program now, I am a PARAGON of balance and maturity. bah, I just don't know what to do. Whatever.
    Hello IllusoryNeptune,

Never ever deliberately insult your Sifu or your Master. More importantly -- never ever do it publicly. This practice shames everyone.

If you have an irreconcilable situation with your Sifu then move on and find another teacher/club that 'does it for you'. Do your utmost to leave in peace and with blessings. One day you may thank yourself for your prudence.

I too have no doubt that you are a good person, so much so that I am looking forward to reading your post with your apology for publicly insulting your Sifu. I know you will do the right thing.

Advancement in CMA is at the behest of your Sifu or Master. This is the way it is and the way it will always be. One day you may find yourself blessed with the responsibility of your own students and you too will make decisions that impact people's lives -- sometimes perhaps even negatively. Then you will learn the true cost of leadership.

thx,
    UM.

your profile says you have been training for one year - that's not even a drop in the bucket. If you have really only been training one year, then that is most likely your answer right there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

wood for a building

i would give anyway of my students a chance to be an assistant instructor.

perhapes not in every situation, but i think that the old buddhist saying applies "use every piece of lumber for different purposes" (that is a paraphrase).

but, i have seen that some of my students are better at teaching one on one, some are better at doing busy work, some are better at teaching groups and so on, God gives each one a strong point and a weak point.

in the beginning, it is our job to train new instructors to use the strong and learn the limits of the weak.

just a thought

“Therefore it is said that victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” - Zhang Yu

illusoryneptune,

if it's true that you have one year of experience (or a little over that), then it's no wonder at all that you aren't an assistant instructor. i was at it for about three years before i was asked to assist. and i think even that was too soon for me personally.

that's a problem you're going to encounter at ANY school worth a d*mn.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Never ever deliberately insult your Sifu or your Master. More importantly -- never ever do it publicly. This practice shames everyone.
    Humbug. If you don't want to be criticized, judged, your business practices questioned, etc. then don't teach publicly. This guy is in America not ancient China or Japan. If I were you I'd look someplace else. It's your time, your money and your life so don't waste it by taking crap like that from someone YOU are paying to do a job.

Originally posted by BeiKongHui

Humbug. If you don't want to be criticized, judged, your business practices questioned, etc. then don't teach publicly. This guy is in America not ancient China or Japan. If I were you I'd look someplace else. It's your time, your money and your life so don't waste it by taking crap like that from someone YOU are paying to do a job.

amen. besides, i don't see that illusoryneptune owes us a public apology here. his teachers probably don't even read this site. if they did, and he knew it, i doubt he'd be posting here in the first place.

'looking forward' to his apology is a bit presumptuous, in my opinion.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by BeiKongHui
    BeiKongHui,

Interesting, being in America and hearing only one side of the story, that you can conclude the matter as both judge and jury. Are you certain you know the truth and the whole truth about this matter ? These issues often transpire mere dollars and have more to do with the individual's characteristics and traits.

regards.