Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in potential instructors?

Blog Entries
    IllusoryNeptune-

Why are you grasping so hard for achievement and recognition?

Originally posted by palric

BeiKongHui,

Interesting, being in America and hearing only one side of the story, that you can conclude the matter as both judge and jury. Are you certain you know the truth and the whole truth about this matter ? These issues often transpire mere dollars and have more to do with the individual's characteristics and traits.

regards.
    palric,

do you somehow have a greater insight on the topic at hand? i would assume so, given that you not only saw fit to play judge and jury, but also to pass down a sentence: public apology on this site.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    IllusoryNeptune-

Why are you grasping so hard for achievement and recognition?

i think fu pow has the right question given illusoryneptune's background (i.e., very limited experience).

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Never ever deliberately insult your Sifu or your Master. More importantly -- never ever do it publicly. This practice shames everyone.
    My master is love itself. And his **** don't stink. I have created a small shrine to him in the honor of all that is holy and good.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

my 1.5 cents

i agree somewhat with Palric. illusory, how old are you? you sound a bit young to me, and after one year of training you should not be teaching anybody anything. really, why does this upset you so? concentrate on improving your skills, and if you dont like your teacher, leave. good times.
    ________
    IOLITE VAPORIZER
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 04-22-2011 at 05:47 AM.

"I am a
    PARAGON of balance and maturity."

LOL

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Good one MP...

I have had it up to the gills with Sifu worship, personally.

BeiKongHui
    Interesting, being in America and hearing only one side of the story, that you can conclude the matter as both judge and jury. Are you certain you know the truth and the whole truth about this matter ? These issues often transpire mere dollars and have more to do with the individual's characteristics and traits.
    Well, not like your statement makes much sense as an answer to mine but if you feel giving someone consumer advice is being judge and jury I guess that Consumer Reports is the new Supreme Court.
    I sense in your answer the typical condescension of those who feel they should be respected or worshipped just because they are a "Master" and (also typical) I'm sure the "lazy", "selfish" "fill in with typical cop out phrase" westerner speil is coming up next, huh?

Talking Are we all shamed?

After the kid's dastardly insults to his "master"?

I think this calls for a reading of the Articles of War and a Flogging 'round the Fleet!

I'm 21 and have been training at the school for 18 months now. The reason I want to teach is because that's one of the things I like to do. I enjoying helping and teaching people and I also enjoy coming up with new ways to present/demonstrate knowledge and techniques so they are easier to understand for all. I didn't realize that it was considered "early" for me to be asking to enter a program which will allow me to become an assistant instructor after a year of training. Someone who has been training for only 8 months was able to enter it and I started before this person.

He won't even give me a chance. I don't understand that. Furthermore, he won't even tell me what exactly it is that I'm lacking. That I understand even less. It's like I'm frowned upon for asking questions, frowned up for questioning his supreme authority. If someone brings you suggestions and comments in the most polite way possible, why not at least hear them out? I've tried to do this at my school and as soon as it's realized that I'm "criticizing" I get shot down immediately. No one even hears me out.

I don't worship my sifu nor anyone else. That's ridiculous. I feel that everyone learns better if we treat each other as equals, not by putting one person much above the rest.

Finally, I ask if you must quote me, then to please include my entire statement, and not just parts of it. Thanks.

Illusory Neptune,

Here just some things to think about....(just fragments)

It is one thing to think you are ready to teach and another for your sifu to think you are ready. I'm sure he appreciates your enthusiasm but ask yourself, Do you really want to teach if your sifu does not think you are ready?

Evaluate yourself, Do your forms look like something that other beginner students want to model themseves after>?
    Are you able to comprehend all or mostly all the techniques/fundamentals and apply them in sparring competently.

Do you hold the humbleness, integrity and temperment that a student of kung fu should posess.

There is definately a relationship that needs to be respected. Learning how to be a student is not something that just happens, it is something that is learned. Once you learn how to be a good student, then you go to the next level.

I have seen excellent kung fu artists that cant teach and I have seen mediocre students that could "teach" well.

Some people excel in certain areas such as a student of 6 months can do better forms than a student of 3 years, this does not make him suitable to teach.

I will give you no advice because I do not know your full situation, just some things to think about and look inside to question,
    "Why does my sifu think I am not ready?" if you give yourself an honest answer and then work on those aspects, your sifu will notice.

After all, asking him what it is would be the easy path, but figuring it out on your own would be a wise path................

Good Luck,

AOF
    Arhat of Fury

Blog Entries
    Illusion Neptune-

Might I ask what style you train and who your instructor is? Perhaps if we knew the style that you train we'd have a better idea of where you're at in your training after one year. Also, if we knew the instructor we might be able to tell you if you are involved in something fraudulent. It is very difficult for people on this forum to gauge where you and your instructor are coming from with so little information.

It would also help us to know your training regimine. Roughly how many hours to you dedicate solely to training, how many classes you've attended in the past year and your personal relationship with your SiFu.

I've known many students in my limited training that want too much information too fast. I've also known students who think that they know everything after only a few months training and think it is appropriate to start teaching new students.....obviously not O.K. I'll blame it on our American culture, we think that if we ask nicely and we have enough money we can "obtain" anything. Kung Fu is one of those "things" that can only be obtained by the students own hard work and dedication to understanding.

I hate to lecture. But again, it's hard to get a grasp on the situation without all the details.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 08-14-2002 at 01:59 PM.

IllusoryNeptune.

The other Student that was allowed in afert 6,onth, did he have pevious MA training, did he train harder/more than you.
    Those are also factors that need to be considered.

To be brutally honest if you are so upset about not getting your wish and about someone younger/junior being advanced before you, than I would suggest NEVER to enter the corporate World.

Also, please, don't listen to the voices that say "you are paying money, it's your time so don't take crap from people you are paying".
    While it sounds nice, it won't make you many friends nor get you what you desire. Unless you are rich enough to sue the school.
    If MA gets reduced to that I don't want any part of it.

Of course as a Consumer you are fully entitled to go and seek an alternative school that suits you better.

If you really desire to become an Instructor in that specific style, than you should be training every free minute and get on good terms with the powers that are at the School.

In the end it is your Instructors that decide if they consider you worth of becoming a Teacher not you or anybody else.

It looks to me as if you might alreay have closed that particular door forever within that school.
    Most People are only given 1 chance.

Peace.

Originally posted by Merryprankster

My master is love itself. And his **** don't stink. I have created a small shrine to him in the honor of all that is holy and good.
    Small shrine... pffft. You'll never be Assistant Instructor with that lame offering.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

IllusoryNeptune.

One thing I forgot.

Not everybody that enters an Instructors course will end up teaching.

Unless you are in a true traditional environment where you won't be allowed to fail once you gone past a certain point.

But than your school doesn't sound like that, to be honest it sounds very much like a commercial setup.

Peace.

What I look for in an instructor.

Image:

A finley combed mullet.

Long sideburns.

Must have the beer belly.

A spotty 5 o'clock shadow.

At least one gold tooth. A missing tooth would do also.

Must bath at least once a week.

Really bad leathery skin.

Must pronouce it Kaw-rotty.

Must have elvis a roll model.

Must have done at least 6 months in jail.

And, last but not least, he must have at one point shoved a firecracker into the rectum of a small rodent.