Thread: training in tokyo

training in tokyo

anybody know some where that i can train in kenjutsu or kendo? i would also like someone as a casual training partner. i will be in tokyo for the month of september

Neito.

Check your pm.

Cheers

Neito.

If you are stuck for an accomodation try this place:

Kimi Ryokan

Some of my friends stayed there and enjoyed it.

Cheers.

this thread has been bumped

Too busy to train kendo at the mo (chose to continue only one of my MA until my schedule changes, and have chosen wing chun... of course, the Chinese one... !), and too tired and busy to answer this properly... sorry.

Should be able to hook you up tho Neito: I'll PM you within the next couple of days.

Where'll you be staying? The dojo I was training at was the Kawagoe Budokan under Hashimoto Sensei (renowned for his shomen... and I can vouch for that!); can't remember the shihan's name. It's not the friendliest of schools, probably cos of a formidable history and reputation (it's in the grounds of Kawagoe Castle), but there are some nice people and a good work-like atmosphere. Bit of a stretch from Tokyo tho. Can probably get you an intro from my sensei, Miyamoto.

I want to look into one near me (Shibuya) but I've been waiting on a friend to hook me up...

Probably better for you to PM me actually: let me know your experience, Japanese level, needs, ETA, length of stay etc, and I'll see what I can do....
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

oh yeah, kenjutsu I don't know about, but I can ask Miyamoto Sensei next week.

I'll probably be up for casual training of whatever kind, schedule permitting.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

yah, i'd probably like to keep it as local as possible(those train fares add up). since i'm just beginning in kendo some casual training would be more than sufficient. the problem with joining a school is that i won't be in japan too long, and they might be hesitant to admit me. i saw some classified ads for karate and aikido that allowed foreigners to come and give it a try, but none for sword arts. anyway i hope something will work out. i'd be just as happy to meet up with some of the KFO guys to do some training or chill out or whatever. - nate

Oh, OK. I was under the impression that you'd done some before... dunno why...! If you just want a casual intro to sword arts, I can show you the basics of kendo: footwork, exercises, a few kata (I'm only shodan tho: don't expect miracles! And the kendo will be tricky without armour... !); and a very cool traditional Yagyu derived aiki sword kata; also aiki tachiawase exercises (I'm only shodan in aiki too, but have been for seven years! Didn't want to grade again for avoidance of politics, but have taught for some time).

Just chillin's good too!

What styles do you do?

that sounds excellent. i am fairly new to martial arts but i have done some thai-boxing and some informal kendo lessons(from my former employer). if you don't mind teaching me some stuff i would be very greatful.