Thread: Black Jack: The Gangs of New York

Black Jack: The Gangs of New York

They've just released the original 1927 book. A good read just for the names of the gang members. Even has a part about the Tong Wars in NYC
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I have never read the book, which is a shame as I have no doubt that I would really love it, rough and tumble street fighting back at the turn of the century, I will pick up the book fer sure.

Do you have any websites on the gangs of that era? What were they called the bloody rabbit gang?
    Regards

Smile

I like the name of the biggest gang in NYC in the 1840's. "The Pug Uglies". Many of them were recruited for a new city agency. The NYPD.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Get the book BJ, $12.95 at Barnes and Noble. It's a whole history of many gangs, the Rabbits, the Bowery Boys, The Whyos, and like guohuen said the police. We're talking 30,000 gang members! It's a fun read and old NY sounds more like Mogidishu than than the city that Rudy built.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Just saw the poster for the movie, so I thought I'd bring this to the top, free of charge.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Supposedly we will get to see some Irish Faction Fighting (cudgel/bata/shellelagh) but it has Leo DiCaprio in it so I'm a bit sceptical.