Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wah Lum Fighting Fan

Hey Art, good to hear from you....I met you a few times at different WL functions in the eighties . Those were the days of Shawn-Troy-Dean-George and so on. I have been with Shelly since 1988. I remember you had some of the fastest hands I had seen in WL. I dont know what happened and its not my business, but I know WL lost a good Sifu...

Anyways I know both fan forms and you would have no problem recognizing the 2 fan forms. The seminar form is a killer especially the double toe kick. The basic form is pretty straight forward and is similiar to the flute form, same kind of tech. If you got flute down, basic fan won't be hard at all.

Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
    I know of only 2 Fan forms taught in Wah Lum. Wah Lum Fighting Fan is in the curriculum. Plum Flower Fan is a seminar form.
    What is Seminar form? I mean absolutely positively unequivocally no offense by my question, but is the "seminar" form a watered-down version of the Wah Lum Fighting Fan form?

If only they could jump into a double toe kick as quickly as they jump to conclusions. :-)
    This is a really funny statement!

I learned plum flower as a "seminar form" so I just refer to it as a seminar form. I refer to the fighting form as a "basic form" as it is pretty simple in execution as is not as advanced as plum flower...

Thats just terminology I use for myself.

Originally posted by MiamiMantis
    I learned plum flower as a "seminar form" so I just refer to it as a seminar form. I refer to the fighting form as a "basic form" as it is pretty simple in execution as is not as advanced as plum flower...

Thats just terminology I use for myself.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'll bet the Plum Flower Fan form is beeeaaauuutiifull, as well as practical!!!

MiamiMantis

Your fan form has a double front toe kick? The fan form Sean Cochran taught me did not have this, yet had triple hurricanes and triple butterflies and some ground work. Does this sound like anything you have seen? The basic fan is not even worth the effort.

As for "seminar forms" I always wondered about this in WL. You only learn a part of a form, and you never learn the two-person or hand drills or applications. Why doesn`t WL teach applications and the two-person with their seminars? And for the sceptical, there is actually two-person weapons sets in CMA! Go figure...

Sorry got my forms crossed. I meant the jump around into the butterfly stance....