Thread: Northern Shaolin Newbie

Talking Northern Shaolin Newbie

Just a nice, easy (or maybe not) question for anyone who practices Northern Shaolin, or just Kung Fu in general. I know there are specific animal forms involved with the various variations of Kung Fu and I was just wondering one particular question. Just as TKD is criticized for producing mechanical fighters due to memorization of forms for their ranking tests, do you believe the same could hold true in Northern Shaolin should I take it? Is there a difference between learning forms in Shaolin as opposed to those in TKD for ranking? Is there a way to prevent the mechanical fighter syndrome that forms often produce in the various arts? Hope you all can help. Thanks ever-so-much.
    Josh Krill

Just try it.

I too have practiced tkd and I have been taught some north shaolin (bak sil lum). They are very different. Very, very different.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Question So...

So you're saying that they are different in the way of memorizing forms. I know the art is far different, but when it comes to what they call "forms" I'm very leary because of my TKD experience and always wanting to follow one move up with another set move even in real combat due to those forms. I've often wondered that even with form training so long as you keep practicing flowing from one move to the next simultaneously, would that undo what bad the forms did and help you progress or is it simply counteractive? Things to think about, I suppose.
    Josh Krill

SN

Are you taught the two-person to your forms? From just one form, many hand drills can be learned, two person exercises, many many applications. Enjoy your life in CMA, it will bring great quality!

Once I witnessed a TKD student ask his teacher (4th d) about an application, and a very basic one at that. The teacher could not come up with the answer, the student was blown off. I later explained to the student the KF application and a hand drill to pracitice with his buddies.

And what about fighting theory?

Talking Hmm...

I thank you for your post Yu Shan. It gives me confidence in the art, especially via your story. I have always enjoyed arts that one can use despite the size and strength advantages of one's opponent. One cannot be as youthful as I am now for the rest of their life as far as strength and such are concerned so I wish to train now to be able to live without fear tomorrow. It is the reason I train in the Bujinkan as well as the reason I wish to take up Northern Shaolin. I believe both do not require any manner of strength to be effective, if I have heard correctly. I know this is true for the Bujinkan, and I hope that the combat theory of Northern Shaolin holds this to be true as well. If you care to comment on this, please feel free to do so. I would love to hear your thoughts and possibly your other instances of success with the art against, perhaps, bigger and stronger opponents that you may have unfortunately have come up against. This is for everyone to reply to, of course, so please feel free. Many thanks for all of the replies thus far. Be well.
    Josh Krill

Helping you out!!!

They are not Forms or Katas. In kung fu they are Sets. (A pre determined series of techniques) linked together as a story of teaching techniques to develop M.A. skills.
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com