Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaui jiao, Judo or BJJ for KF cross training?

Shaui jiao, Judo or BJJ for KF cross training?

Hey,
    I want to cross train a bit. I thought of BJJ or Judo but thought I'd be betraying some sort of kf honor and loyalty to the style because it offers differing techniques that complete the form...
    like shaui jiao.

But I would like to know some opinions.

thanks
    You know how Americans are, Kiki. They all love to travel, and then they only want to meet other Americans and talk about how hard it is to get a decent hamburger.
    From Naked Lunch (1991)

I say BJJ would be the better of the 2 to crosstrain in because if the fight ever went to the ground you would be trained for groundfighting.

Well i would say that BJJ was a whole art in its own right rather than somthing that should be used to fill in gaps.

Shaui jiao is somthing that would probably have been part of any CMA that you could name....if your art has no grappling then it (probably) has been lost rather than not ever taught.

Judo is great but dull and so....welll....japanese.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Whatever u can afford.
    A

Do them all.

Seriously. use your current art for your long and mid range figthing. judo and shuai chiao will show you how to work from the clinch and give you ALOT of throwing options. bjj will help if the situation goes to the ground. if you can only pick one, I'd pick bjj, as you may need the ground work one day.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    if you can only pick one, I'd pick bjj, as you may need the ground work one day.
    He only says that because his Shuai Chia $ucks
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I'm playing. In fact, everytime we train together, he manages to miss the mat and chuck me onto the hardwood floor at least once.

Ba$tard
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I'm making the same choice at the moment. Been looking into a Machado BJJ school and a shootfighting school that incorporates BJJ and Muay Thai.

Decisions, decisions...
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

yeah, it's tradition now. My destiny is to make WaterDragon one with the hardwood.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by TaoBoy
    I'm making the same choice at the moment. Been looking into a Machado BJJ school and a shootfighting school that incorporates BJJ and Muay Thai.

Decisions, decisions...
    Depends on what you are training and what you are looking for. if you are already training a striking style, the MT may contradict some of what you are already doing.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

IMHO

if ur trainin for sport, or like UFC, then BJJ and judo are great. judo is very passive but u learn kool stuff. actually, judo is ultimately a softcore derivative of shuai chiao which is designed to hurt someone seriously when they hit the ground. judo teaches to "cooperate" with ur opponent and to have mercy when throwing them down and was bascally created more for sport. i don't know how well shuai chiao teaches to deal w/ multiple opponents, but i would bank on the fact that they'd teach u to stay on ur feet, throw an opponent hard to the ground and be ready for the next, as opposed to rushing, mounting and arm-locking while his friends pound ur head in. jus my 2 cents
    "Pride builds walls between people; Humility builds bridges."- R. Warren

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    I'm playing. In fact, everytime we train together, he manages to miss the mat and chuck me onto the hardwood floor at least once.

Ba$tard
    Just look at it as conditioning!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Judo throws aren't necessarily soft. there's a difference between ippon seionage on the mat and on the concrete - especially if you don't know how to fall. Judo is also very aggressive. In shuai chiao, however, the idea is to have something on the opponent broken before they hit the ground. SC also throws at some pretty awkward angles.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

you're in va beach? my first experience in formal martial arts was at chuck norris' school on va beach blvd. when I was about 6. I looked at the website recently - one of my instructors from back then - mr oliver - is still there after all this time.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

15. Thumbs up

If you wanna stay close to your roots,pick shuai chiao.
    They also have striking and kicking,to a point.
    I donīt know very much about BJJ but I would pick judo,that is where BJJ comes from.
    Very strong throwing and good grappling in general.
    Itīs good because they donīt just stick into one thing,they do grappling mostly of course,but at least they are rather "complete" at that.
    You will be sure to get well developed ground/floorfighting too,all in one pack.
    Why should you pick an art for one single area of combat?
    Just my opinions though.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-